What Ratio Should I Change the Chevelle to?

So I recently got my car back with a new clutch, happy day right? Wrong. That's the second clutch I've replaced, lasted almost exactly 1 year. Same with the first one. The guy says that it's mainly the suppperrr high rear that was never changed when they converted the car from automatic to manual..... so my posi still has 2.73:1 I believe, and it's already purring at freeway speeds, so that's my only concern really, (obviously along with gas mileage though). I don't often take the freeway in my car, maybe once or twice a month. But it's usually not a short distance, and I don't want to be at 5500 rpm doing 75 on the freeway either, because you have to consider my Muncie is only a 4-speed, with no over drive.

So he first told me 4.10's and I was liiikeeee "Yeah, no. I'm not trying to make a bugatti look slow off the line here."

So he told me to order the pinion I thought was best.

So my question is which ratio would probably suit me most adequately? I was looking mostly at 3.55 and 3.73 as the best compromise, anyone have suggestions as to which might be better? I drive a long way to/from school, but don't ever go over 50-60 mph at most. normally around 40-45 for the most part. I don't have an RPM tach though........so I can't really give you figures as to what I'm running currently. I know the formula, but I don't know (positively) my tire diameter or tranny gear ratios, so I can't calculate it accurately yet.

I can't thank you enough L-box. Seriously lol.

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol

When Alan uses big words I don't understand

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.

And I figured 3.73 was bound to be the more popular answer. Seems to be more prevalent around classics. When I get my car tomorrow I'll calculate it out after I get the measurements.

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

go with 3.55 ish for a compromise, 3.73 for a bit more snappyness. I think if you go to a 3.55 you will be amazed at the difference. You'll think you gained 100hp. Don't forget about the speedometer gear. You may have to switch out the gear in the tranny if you can't get one with the right amount of teeth.

4 spd w/no OD, i'd go with the 3.55. if you had OD or a 5th gear I'd go with the 3.73. this is just me.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

Id go 3.55 since it's got no overdrive. Also since you have no tach I'd think about getting one. while it's not necessary if you know your car well the bigger gear will get your rpm's into the danger zone A lot quicker than you would think. no sense In not keeping an eye on it and possibly grenade your motor. You should also make sure your driveshaft is balanced properly or you could end up with issues since it will be spinning faster more often.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I have 3.70s on my mustang

Love em, I would do 4.10s if I had a 6 speed over my 5 speed

SCSB

Santa Cruz Speaker Box

Build logs:

Daily Driver Lemon Marquis

2 american bass 750.1s

350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s

sq 945 on 4 hertz tweeters

Mystery subs peepwall.gif

http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

The Mustang 'dubbed' Shirley the project from bullet holes to badass

http://www.stevemead...cond-skin-time/

I had 4.56 in my Cobra and loved it. Guess its just the driver

MY BUILD

1998 Ford Explorer 2dr sport

1/0 Big 3 1/0 everything

Alpine cda-9884

Crescendo CZ components

(2) Crescendo bc2000's

(2) Jolt 150ah

(2) Yellow top optimas

(1) Juicebox black cherry addition

(1) Mechman 270 avbm

miss my bc5500 and (4) 15's

You know why people are ass holes online but not in person? Because getting punched in the mouth hurts.

3.42's.... Just enough so your first gear is a little gruntier, but won't kill you when you have to drive it for long distances. A big thing to consider is, like Broke mentioned, is how your drivetrain in entirety will be affected... Personally, since I like passing power and cruising capability over sheer take off speed, I'd do the 3.42 or even a 3.31. But hell, you could do a 4.10 and put a gear vendors overdrive in there too...

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

I had 4.56 in my Cobra and loved it. Guess its just the driver

Sorry I'm trying to get past 1/8 mile drag races :D lol kidding of course.

I missed Alan.

Haha I know man. At the time I only worked less than 1/2 mile from where I lived so I didn't have any distance drives. Could get around town fine and murder all the neons and cobalts

MY BUILD

1998 Ford Explorer 2dr sport

1/0 Big 3 1/0 everything

Alpine cda-9884

Crescendo CZ components

(2) Crescendo bc2000's

(2) Jolt 150ah

(2) Yellow top optimas

(1) Juicebox black cherry addition

(1) Mechman 270 avbm

miss my bc5500 and (4) 15's

You know why people are ass holes online but not in person? Because getting punched in the mouth hurts.

Archived