Sundown Audio

Cheapest way to ACCURATELY set gains?

Brandonbkd

The DD-1 was specifically designed to be the cheapest, easiest and most accurate way to set your gains.

Other than that there really isn't a dependable and accurate way to do it unless you hit up eBay for used equipment (oscope, etc) and even then you're not going to find much at the ~$100 price point.

As was suggested, try to find somebody local or even hunt around for a used DD-1.

Anybody thought about renting DD-1's?

Hmmmmmmmmm

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

DDM or set it up ear. No it won't be perfect. No it won't be accurate.

That's the risk, but just be smart and you shouldn't hurt anything.

Look up your amp to see if it actually does rated. See if someone bench tested it and posted results or look at your or someone elses birth sheet if they are availible for that amp. Once you have an idea what kind of wattage your amp should be putting out use the DMM method but subtract like 5-10% wattage just to be safe.

This is probably as accurate/safe as you can be while being a cheapass.

Dudes...do you guys read? He didn't ask what is the cheapest way to set gains, he said the cheapest ACCURATE way, you both are far off the mark.

The cheapest way to accurately set gains would be to pay someone to do it who has a DD1 or a scope. Some like Sierra will do it for beer. Next cheapest would be to rent the equipment. Next cheapest is to buy that Nano. It does work, I tested it out, and is a favorite of my buddy's Taylor Fade. Then the DD1 or used oscope.

Good luck

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Look up your amp to see if it actually does rated. See if someone bench tested it and posted results or look at your or someone elses birth sheet if they are availible for that amp. Once you have an idea what kind of wattage your amp should be putting out use the DMM method but subtract like 5-10% wattage just to be safe. This is probably as accurate/safe as you can be while being a cheapass. You will probably be able to get a bit more out of the amp with dd1/oscope this way, but not much and its a neccesary sacrifice so you don't blow anything up. You can set gains with a VERY basic oscope. Even a super old one from the 80s or something. Audio stuff is a very basic thing for an oscope. The really expensive ones you see are probably ike 350mhz+ models. You don't even need 1mhz for audio.

You should definitely read before posting dipshit. I said best way to ACCURATELY set my gains. I've got enough common sense to be able to set it by ear, but my ears aren't oscopes

FI BL18 Build Log: CLICK HERE!!

2003 Explorer Sport:

FI BL18

SoundQubed 2200 at 0.7ohm

Pioneer DEH-2500UI

Pioneer 6 x 8s

Rockford Fosgate 6 x 9s

5 ft^3 box at 35hz

Lots of Mega Mat

SkyHighCarAudio_zpse6b4e501.png3abb2365-8d29-422d-a446-efa7a74b8dba_zps70e62980.jpgFILogo_zps400b37c1.jpg

Look up your amp to see if it actually does rated. See if someone bench tested it and posted results or look at your or someone elses birth sheet if they are availible for that amp. Once you have an idea what kind of wattage your amp should be putting out use the DMM method but subtract like 5-10% wattage just to be safe. This is probably as accurate/safe as you can be while being a cheapass. You will probably be able to get a bit more out of the amp with dd1/oscope this way, but not much and its a neccesary sacrifice so you don't blow anything up. You can set gains with a VERY basic oscope. Even a super old one from the 80s or something. Audio stuff is a very basic thing for an oscope. The really expensive ones you see are probably ike 350mhz+ models. You don't even need 1mhz for audio.

You should definitely read before posting dipshit. I said best way to ACCURATELY set my gains. I've got enough common sense to be able to set it by ear, but my ears aren't oscopes

Dipshit? What the fuck? How was that warranted? Is this how to talk to people in person who are just trying to help you? Do you get in a lot of fights? I will never understand the attitude some people have online with others.

I read your original post. It specifically says is there a cheaper (accurate) way than buying a dd1 or oscope. Well guess what? Since you said there is no one availible to borrow equipment from there IS NO OTHER ACCURATE WAY. I could have just said that which im pretty sure others already did so no point in posting. Or I could have copped an attitude like you seem to like to do and bitched about you not using the search function to find an answer to a question that has already been answered 1000 times. I didn't though, I offered you the next best thing. It's not totally innacurate like doing it by ear but its MORE accurate than just straight dmming it. There is nothing in between this method and dd1/oscope which is what you really need. Calm down dude.

I came just in time for the butthurts.

Thanks alaskanzx5 I might just do that
I can recone a sub myself. About a year ago I took 2 12" power acoustic mofos and made one sub. I took the magnet and the motor off of one and j b welded it to the other motor and magnet. I had to wind my own voice coil so it would work. After I was done hooked up to 2 boss 5000w amps. And shattered my back and all my side windows

came to this thread to recommend soundqubed and ct sounds. OP goes with soundstream.

oh lawd.

Turn it up until you smell coil and hear bottoming out.

Just find someone close. 2 hours isn't that bad. Properly set up gains is worth even a 5 hour drive IMO. But by the time you get the gas to drive 5 hours each way it might be right up there with a dd1. There is a reason it was made to be the cheapest way to set a gain properly.

My old YouTube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/SwordLords1234?feature=mhee

My old build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161872-96-accord-b2-sundown-sky-high-dc-power-re-re-build-for-heatwave/page-37

My New Build - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/207041-2016-mazda-6-sql-build/

2016 Mazda 6 Touring

JL Fix 86 - OEM signal correction

B2 prototype DSP 6to8

B2 Ref63 - 3 way active set

2 B2 Class H quattro's

1 B2 Zero.5R @.5

2 B2 HNv3 12 d2

B2 SLIP40 - Lithium in the trunk

Northstar Group 35 under the hood

100ft 2/0 welding cable

30ft 4ga welding cable

20ft 8ga welding cable

All stinger OFC speaker wire

Soundrive custom RCA's

Tons of attention to detail.... Can it be perfect?

I saved up and bought a used one. Honestly one of the best investments I've ever made.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm