tips on running active

fx4trucker

I want to run my speakers active just looking for tips and advice ..

1. would I need to run a bass blocker to the tweeters

2. when running an eq dose the amp still go by ohms ? referring to the steve meade Tahoe rebuild when he hooked up al the tweeters to a 2ch amp .

3. im either wanting a 3sixy.3 or the pioneer p99rs .. leaning towards the 3sixy since its way less money .

alpine head unit (freebee 2009 model)2 sets of eclpise 5.25 comp. speakers.

1. set is in the a-pilors

1. memphis mojo 2500 watt amp

1. rockford fosgate t2 15"

dual 2 ohm wired to 4 ohm . seeing 600 watts

1. realm audio 600 watt 4ch

1. If using an electronic crossover for each speaker no, if using passive crossovers with bi-amp inputs yes.

2. Yes amps always operate by the ohm load presented to them by the speakers (when wiring multiple speakers make sure the load is within spec for the amp)

3. If you require 4 way (high - mid - mid bass - sub) or more processing a 3sixty.3 (or similar unit) is a good option and gives you more flexibility in the long run. Just make sure you have a good source.

'99 Chevy Blazer 4 door 4x4

HU: Pioneer, DEH-80PRS

Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies, Legatia L3v2 and Dayton Audio Reference 7" mid-bass

Sub Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies, Clarus C12SW-D2 in a 30hz quarterwave transmission line (plays down to 17hz!)

Amplifier: Addictive Audio 7.4+35.1

Processor: Zapco DSP-Z8

Have you optimized your previous setup before your decision to "run my speakers active"

What speakers do you have ??

No ... if you plan to run active

2. when running an eq dose the amp still go by ohms ?

ohm loads has nothing to do with EQ ... but Yes, Aplifier needs to see adequate ohm loads to run properly ...

3. im either wanting a 3sixy.3 or the pioneer p99rs .. leaning towards the 3sixy since its way less money .

Personally, i'd go with the p99rs ...

But then again, this is just my suggestion ... I have absolutely no idea as to the application of your installation goals ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

2. when running an eq dose the amp still go by ohms ? referring to the steve meade Tahoe rebuild when he hooked up al the tweeters to a 2ch amp .

1. No. Asking this question makes me think you don't quite understand what running active means.

2. Not sure what you are asking here. An EQ shouldn't change how speakers are wired to an amp.

3. Keep in mind the price of a headunit if you go with the 3sixty.3, unless you are planning on using your stock radio.

1. If using an electronic crossover for each speaker no, if using passive crossovers with bi-amp inputs yes.

2. Yes amps always operate by the ohm load presented to them by the speakers (when wiring multiple speakers make sure the load is within spec for the amp)

3. If you require 4 way (high - mid - mid bass - sub) or more processing a 3sixty.3 (or similar unit) is a good option and gives you more flexibility in the long run. Just make sure you have a good source.

1. He shouldn't need bass blockers if using passive crossovers, regarldless of bi-amp or single input. And if he is using passive crossovers, then it's not active.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

The 80prs will do active and have plenty you need and much cheaper than both

I believe 80 PRS is 3way active and 99prs is 4way active.not knowing exactly which way op is going .hard to recommended anything. Let alone 80prs .Do you own 80prs?is that why you recommended it?

The 80prs will do active and have plenty you need and much cheaper than both

I believe 80 PRS is 3way active and 99prs is 4way active.not knowing exactly which way op is going .hard to recommended anything. Let alone 80prs .Do you own 80prs?is that why you recommended it?

yes i own and use the 80prs and i love it ... laded me a 4th place in SQ at my very first world finals and im only running a 5 1/4 passive component set so im not even using all of the capabilites of that HU

You wouldn't literally use a "bass blocker" on the tweeters, but it's a good idea to use a capacitor on each tweeter for protection. Go on parts-express.com and look up electrolytic non-polarized 20 uF 50V capacitors. You're using these on one wire of each tweeter anywhere between the tweeter and the amp. The caps will prevent turn-on or turn-off pops from damaging the tweeters, and it's also a backup 1st order crossover in case you accidentally set your tweeter crossover too low or to full range. This is recommended for any active setup.

Since you're unsure of how speaker impedence works I suggest you look for someone to help you in person with your future active upgrades.

You wouldn't literally use a "bass blocker" on the tweeters, but it's a good idea to use a capacitor on each tweeter for protection. Go on parts-express.com and look up electrolytic non-polarized 20 uF 50V capacitors. You're using these on one wire of each tweeter anywhere between the tweeter and the amp. The caps will prevent turn-on or turn-off pops from damaging the tweeters, and it's also a backup 1st order crossover in case you accidentally set your tweeter crossover too low or to full range. This is recommended for any active setup.

Since you're unsure of how speaker impedence works I suggest you look for someone to help you in person with your future active upgrades.

Why are you describing how to "passively" cross over a tweeter when the OP is asking for "active" suggestions ???

When you "ACTIVE" crossover the tweeter, it is done electronically by the active device controlling the system ...

Caps, filters, and anything else that does not run off of 12 volts (or should I say that if it does not "turn on or turn off" with the source unit) in front of a driver is commonly known as passive protection ...

and just for your FYI ... "Turn ON and Turn OFF" actually happens when amplifiers turn on and off, or when the amplifiers turn on or off before the source activation. Get a good amplifier that does not do this and it will not be a problem ... generally has nothing to do with what is "in front of" the tweeter ot the tweeter itself for that matter ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

putting a capacitor/bass blocker inline on a tweeter is good practice when running active. it's a good safe guard if your active crossover fails or your crossover point goes below what the tweeter can handle. i guess this is more good practice when installing on someone else's vehicle. I always put an inline crossover about 1k hertz above the minimum frequency response of the tweeter. i'm sure someone will try to attack this but i run active and install for money so it's not just my opinion it's professional.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

Archived