Sonic Electronix

Questions to teach about "Sysyems"

Ok so I am about to do the install for my girlfriend's sons Dodge Ram reg cab truck.

As in my first post he blew the 12" RF HX2 and MTX 4250D amp I gave him.

Yesterday I spent the better of 4 hrs doing calculations to build a 2.72cf wedge sealed enclosure to house 2 12" RF HX2s. I'm eyeing a used CROSSFIRE VR1000D amp to drive the subs. It's therapeutic to build anything.

So now here I am. I can easily "TEACH HIM" about "HOW NOT TO FUCKIN' BLOW UP ANOTHER AMP OR SUB" but honestly a 19 yr old will lose interest within 2 minutes and all I will hear is "I KNOW, I KNOW". I am already seeing it when he talks to.his mother. I am not a dad, but now I see what my dad or your dad may have felt when trying to teach YOU something. The attitude is "punch in the face inspiring". :) Being 1/2 Italian, I would probably say "If you break this system, I will break your fingers!" So I need help with my wording in this situation. I wish my old man was alive so I can apology for being an ass when I was 19.

I want to put a sheet of questions together for her son to find the answers to. I want him to "TEACH ME" about car audio since he is getting it for free. I do not think I can contain myself if I see him looking at the floor if I were to preach to him.

Please think you what you would want to teach your younger brother as you hand him down your equipment. I would really appreciate some input.

General questions like:

What does an ampiflier do?

A 13 ft stretch of 4 gauge OFC wire can hold up to XXX amp draw?

What is amplifier "clipping"?

What is harmonic distortion threshold?

Why is a high signal to noise ratio important?

Cutoff frequencies for types of speakers?

Any questions would be appreciated, maybe I can learn something as well.

He keeps asking when.will I do the install. I'm just dragging my feet plus Ive been

Working. lol. Still waiting for him to an apology for him lying to me (see first post)

Thx for taking the time to read this!

-Frank

for starters the first thing he needs to learn is how an amp works and what the gain really does.

can someone link tony d'amore's free education thread? specifically his one about gains.

it will be a great video to watch for him, you will most likely find it interesting as well.

he should also learn the difference between voltage and amperage, don't know a good source for this but it is useful.

he needs to learn what bass boost does and how it can have a negative effect on a stereo.

I would even convince him to let you install a comp set in one door while leaving his 6x9 in the other door to show him the difference.

last but not least, smack his hands like a 10 year old that keeps touching stuff they shouldn't every time he even thinks of messing with the amp settings.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Here is Tony's free education thread: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/175677-free-education/

I would have him at least watch the first few videos.

Getting into gains is one of the more complex portions, but here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q48LQou_VhE

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Make a cover plate for the adjustments on the amp that he cant take off. Put a seal on it like some amp companies do for warranty.

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

it is more complex but atleast he should understand why not to mess with it like a volume knob.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Also if he is not one to listen to lectures, then try doing the lecture as you are installing it for him, and making him do as you say to.

Also don't make any Interjections while he is speaking, try to let him finish his thoughts, as he may have it wrong at the begging of the thought, but slowly get closer to it as it progresses.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

WOW... he's 19 not 9. Hmmm maybe part of the problem with this generation? Needs to be treated like a man and know there are consiquences for his actions. Adjust any setting, blow anything, no tunes. He either wants to learn or wants to be right. I would say after blowing amp & subs time to admit he knows little and it was his fault. Lesson 1, Lesson 2...listen to someone who has some knowledge. Good luck.

have him do the install himself and you supervise if he wants it e needs to put in the work, he will ask the questions he needs to ask to get the job done and you can throw out pointers, if he want to learn he will shut up and listen if not your wasting your time

Archived