DC Sound Lab

Worth it to run 16v on my 5ks?

ahright so, gonna run a pair of 5ks on my 18s and before i get too deep into it I need to figure out my battery situation. I am going to be running a pair of gm large case alternators from Mike Singer. They will be dedicated to the system and thats all they'll be powering. I figure 3 d7500s would be sufficient to keep the amps happy as a daily ground pounder at full tilt 90% of the time if i were to run 12v. OR should i run 16v and how many of what XSPower battery should i get? I can't say i'm staying cost efficient because of the sub and amp selection lol What's my best bet??

DC SOUND LAB NUT HUGGER

Currently Own
4 - 18" lvl 6s (m3) w/full Carbon Fiber option

2 - DC 5k

lvl 4 motor

lvl 2 motor

On 8/2/2013 at 8:13 PM, n8ball2013 said:

this is much worse. Its old n8 without the time or patience to hold fucking hands. I'm supposed to be doing school work but yet here i am making sure jr fuck fuck isn't trying to poke the other kids with a stick.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

would you suggest going the 16v route though?

DC SOUND LAB NUT HUGGER

Currently Own

2 - DC 5k

lvl 4 motor

lvl 2 motor

this is much worse. Its old n8 without the time or patience to hold fucking hands. I'm supposed to be doing school work but yet here i am making sure jr fuck fuck isn't trying to poke the other kids with a stick.

i know, but my initial question was is it worth it to run 16v for the amps? I'm looking at the specs on the droppin hz website and if i had 4 7500s vs. 10 1600s, the 7500s edge out by a little bit on weight, ah, rc and cost. Most would think thats better but for those of you who run 16v and had ran 12v previously, which would you go with?

DC SOUND LAB NUT HUGGER

Currently Own

2 - DC 5k

lvl 4 motor

lvl 2 motor

I would stick with 12v for daily. I just swapped back to 12v from 14v. With the 12v batteries you get more reserve capacity and you can use all of your alternators to charge the one bank instead of having to run 2 charging systems.

If you were competing and looking for every last watt that you could squeeze out of amps, then 16v may be worth it, but of you are looking for a reliable daily driver, just stick with 12v.

With dual 350s and 2 5ks, I would run 3-4 d7500s. Yes I know it is overkill, but you want to keep your voltage as close to 14v as possible.

I'm running 14v, charging at 16v right now. Love it. I'd say run 16v (or maybe 18v?) if you can. More power

I'm a strong believer in overkill lol Amps will be run at 1 ohm for now until i'm out of warranty and i'm sure of my volume control, i get "full tilt happy" and blow crap up lol. Once i get comfortable with how things are running i may wire down to .5 or get bigger amps (most likely bigger amps). I guess once i get closer to building time i'll make the final decision, seems even so far comparing specs to individual experiences. Looks like i'll be in either a Tahoe or Escalade build wise, found a caddy somewhat local in good shape getting details as I type this lol. Want to keep second row of seats for sure so space is kinda limited. May do what steve did in the 'hoe and drop the spare tire in favor of a battery rack, mine would be fully sealed up though since Buffalo weather sucks lol.

DC SOUND LAB NUT HUGGER

Currently Own

2 - DC 5k

lvl 4 motor

lvl 2 motor