Second Skin Audio

Best Cheap 12" Subwoofer

There is no best cheap out there, you get what you pay for. Personally i would get the FI Audio X-12" for a bit more than you have budgeted and when you can afford to upgrade your amplifier you'll have one of the best subs ready to take all that power providing you DO NOT clip it to death.

http://store.ficaraudio.com/x12/

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

That FI sub looks nice too but I don't personnaly have experience with them, or know anyone running them. You can't swing a dead cat (at least where I am at) without hitting someone that is/was running Sundown and doing 50s lol... The only line of Sundown that I have not actually seen get loud (loud in my eyes being 150 or higher) is the E series, and I am sure it can/has be done.

But then again, you do get what you pay for. Whether you buy FI, DC, DD, Sundown, AQ/SQ etc... if you spend $150 you will have a $150 sub.

The only possible exception to that would be to get in with one of the newer companies (like C2) before they are well known enough to bring their prices up to there the other companies are at. The C2 Threatcon 2 open box is only $110 and seems like it would be better than Sundown's E series and ~maybe~ on the level of the SA line. If you aren't cool with the open box, they are still only $160. That is a hell of a price for a sub with a 3" coil, and although I don't know a whole lot about what makes a subwoofer great, I think it looks like a solid sub all the way around.

Honestly if I had a $150 budget and couldn't throw the extra in to get the SA 12.. I am about 99% sure I would grab one of the C2 subs. I would imagine that once they become a little better known, they will raise their price by about $30-40 on that sub to put it in line with the other companies mid-entry level subs.

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

147 on non termlab (140-142 on TL)

Currently in a walled 4th @ 50hz (not metered yet)

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

135.1 sealed on dash @ 56hz

135.0 outlaw (I must have chosen song poorly lol)

Build log

'Brandon15zzz', on 09 May 2012 - 3:13 PM, said:snapback.png

May have been clipping but none fucks were givin.

That FI sub looks nice too but I don't personnaly have experience with them, or know anyone running them. You can't swing a dead cat (at least where I am at) without hitting someone that is/was running Sundown and doing 50s lol... The only line of Sundown that I have not actually seen get loud (loud in my eyes being 150 or higher) is the E series, and I am sure it can/has be done.

But then again, you do get what you pay for. Whether you buy FI, DC, DD, Sundown, AQ/SQ etc... if you spend $150 you will have a $150 sub.

The only possible exception to that would be to get in with one of the newer companies (like C2) before they are well known enough to bring their prices up to there the other companies are at. The C2 Threatcon 2 open box is only $110 and seems like it would be better than Sundown's E series and ~maybe~ on the level of the SA line. If you aren't cool with the open box, they are still only $160. That is a hell of a price for a sub with a 3" coil, and although I don't know a whole lot about what makes a subwoofer great, I think it looks like a solid sub all the way around.

Honestly if I had a $150 budget and couldn't throw the extra in to get the SA 12.. I am about 99% sure I would grab one of the C2 subs. I would imagine that once they become a little better known, they will raise their price by about $30-40 on that sub to put it in line with the other companies mid-entry level subs.

Im running the C2 Threatcon 2 15". they were running a black friday sale on it for $130 and i wanted to give it a shot. Ive still got a lot of tweaking and tuning to do to see where this thing likes to play optimally. Tuned at 33hz it doesnt seem to want to get as low as ide want it...but like I said, it could be in my amp/head unit settings..I havn't had much time to mess with it. On the up side, I think for the budget, this sub handles very well and sounds amazing. they handle much more than rated (on a American Bass VFL 4480.1 @1 ohm{still testing}) and I think you would definitely be happy with no matter what choice you make, whether its C2, Fi, Sundown, or AQ. I would agree that C2 is going to raise prices once there name is out more because it already has been happening the last 3-4 months. I think Chode did a review of the threatcon-2's as well so he might be able to give you more information than I could about performance. Hope this helps.

To stay in your price range, i would go with either the American bass TNT or RE audio sex. Sundowns E series are ok, but i would go with either of the two i listed over sundown E series.

truthsayer

I've never heared a Fi/AA/SSA product that sounds bad. top notch quality products that sound gooood ! they get very loud, but play all the notes in a musical way. It's amazing.

I can't tell for the other brands listed. I've never tried or listened to them.

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

gattiboy to the rescue with his plethora of knowledge.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Archived