Second Skin Audio

How much of a difference does price make?

Smoove, the list was not all-inclusive. XD

Another reason I would prefer something like that is to make it more unique + have more resale value. Where I live, there are crap-tons of pioneers, kenwoods, rockfords, and kickers. I think it'd be sick to have something bumping (10x harder than the average ghetto bumper, since I actually know what I'm doing) that no-one has heard of. And specialty brands like that sell better later.

As far as DD not being cheap, I know a guy locally who had dealer status who said he could get me one of their 10"s for 150 bucks.

Subs = 2x Rockford Fosgate p110's in custom ported box

Amp = Rockford Fosgate 451s (115 watts rms x 2 into 4 ohms)

Rear = Sony xplod 6.5 coaxials (they were on clearance at target :D )

Front = Soundstorm 6.5's

Wire = some 8 gauge crap my friend gave me

head unit = an older alpine

I'M POOR OK :(

I think your missing some point here man.

How much power are you looking to run? The brands that some listed on here are very good and high quality. I run soundqubed subs and amp and I love em!

Also, look into obsidian audio, they make solid stuff. We can help you out more depending on what kind of power your looking for

Smoove, the list was not all-inclusive. XD

Another reason I would prefer something like that is to make it more unique + have more resale value. Where I live, there are crap-tons of pioneers, kenwoods, rockfords, and kickers. I think it'd be sick to have something bumping (10x harder than the average ghetto bumper, since I actually know what I'm doing) that no-one has heard of. And specialty brands like that sell better later.

As far as DD not being cheap, I know a guy locally who had dealer status who said he could get me one of their 10"s for 150 bucks.

Buy your Pyle a be happy.

lol, you're just mad because I said I didn't like RF. They aren't bad, but nothing in my price range is gonna be worth the money. They're a huge brand. They can afford to blow up prices. Unfortunately, with a tiny teenage income, I can't pay 600 bucks for a sub, especially when other brands offer the same thing for cheaper. I just found a RF very similar to one of soundqubed's 12"s. The RF was 400 dollars, and the sq was 140. Both can handle about 1000rms and both have a 4 inch voice coil.

As far as what sort of power, I'm thinking something we can run off stock electrical. I don't wanna add batteries or anything. That'll drive the total cost up even more. So 500-1000 watts probably.

Front = Soundstorm 6.5's

lol, you're just mad because I said I didn't like RF. They aren't bad, but nothing in my price range is gonna be worth the money. They're a huge brand. They can afford to blow up prices. Unfortunately, with a tiny teenage income, I can't pay 600 bucks for a sub, especially when other brands offer the same thing for cheaper. I just found a RF very similar to one of soundqubed's 12"s. The RF was 400 dollars, and the sq was 140. Both can handle about 1000rms and both have a 4 inch voice coil.

As far as what sort of power, I'm thinking something we can run off stock electrical. I don't wanna add batteries or anything. That'll drive the total cost up even more. So 500-1000 watts probably.

No. it's not that you were hating RF. It's that your hating on everything with quality and a good reputation. No way does Crunch or Pyle have a better resale than any of the brands you listed. Yes Soundqubed and DD are good. The HDC 4 has a 4" voice coil. Where are you geting one for $140? and its a 2000w sub, not 1000w. Do you have any idea what your talking about? I'm done.

If you have read anything of this post, I'm ASKING IF off brands are as good as entry level on brands. I'm not defending them. Calm down. I'm IN FAVOR of getting a nice brand. Originally I was thinking RE or NVX but I'm now thinking soundqubed or c2 audio. Also they have a new 140 dollar sub. looks like 3" voice coil, not 4. But still 1200rms. http://www.soundqubed.com/HDS312_p_227.htm I was saying that it seems like the brands mentioned above are over-rated / over-priced. I know kicker isn't all it's cut out to be and I suspect the same to be true of kenwood, alpine, and RF (at least their entry level stuff.) The only stuff that we could afford of those brands is the crap that they sell to walmart. And I'm not really content to bump walmart subs.

For the same price as the linked Sound Qubed, a...

kenwood does 400rms

kicker does 300rms per coil

rockford does 300rms (plus costs 20 bucks more)

alpine does 250 per coil

jl does 300rms

I started this thread to learn how big of a difference there is between the three tiers of quality. From what I've gathered, on brands are indeed better than off-brands, but there are some little known brands that offer much better equipment for much cheaper.

Front = Soundstorm 6.5's

I think I'd like to stay away from stuff like pioneer, kenwood, rockford, etc. I know they aren't bad, but at the same time, they ain't good either. To me, they share too much in common with the 30 buck pyle subs for me to think it's worth the extra 100 plus dollars. I think I'll look for something higher level. Either an entry level sub from a pro brand (sundown, qubed, dc, dd) or something nicer on craigslist. Any amp recomendations? The one I was looking at was an alpine mrv-m500. it looks like I can get it for about 125 bucks on amazon. And it's alpine, so it should do more than rated.

Set a budget. Post your vehicle model and music you listen the most.....it's not all about brands.

I'm curious about what you are planning for an amplifier. What size stock alternator is, and battery. A 1000 watt amp is a serious piece of audio. Seems like you have your heart set on subs. I only run a 1000W amp on my subs, and its serious (to me).

wow this is actually a great thread. I was literally just about to buy a pair of RE SEX12s when I read that comment about quebed subs being on their level and about $40 cheaper! Now I don't mean to thread jack but does this mean that RE amps are also not all they're cracked up to be? And I'll throw in my 2 cents as well here….I've heard a few different setups and can say the cheaper DCON I bought, while it only is rated (and known to be underrated) at 300rms, sounds just as good as some on-brands like a few ken woods and pioneers in a similar price and power range. Point here, do lots and lots and lots of research: at least you're at the right place to start doing that! Welcome to the forums

masterbation is free, and even saves you money.sorry but someone had to say it

sorry, Jimmy...beat you to it (no pun intended)

LOLDON'T get a wife. Best advice I never got, and now it's too late <_<

My build: 12" DCON in a dorm room.

New/current build: 8" woofer, custom amplifier block, fiberglassed speaker pods

Thanks bumpinTL364!

Turboelky: The amp I'm looking at is the Alpine MRV-M500. I can get it for about 125 bucks on amazon new. 500 watts into 2 ohms. I'm thinking that should be enough to stress most entry level subs and decently power something bigger if my friend wants to upgrade later. Plus I've seen one in real life and I love the form factor. Very small.

Front = Soundstorm 6.5's

Archived