Clamping Method vs SMD AD-1 Amp Dyno vs. SMD AMM-1 Audio Multimeter

Especially when idiots don't know what they're talking about and Google can't help them look smart, lol. Especially when they can't break a 45, lol

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

From what I saw in the vid the used what most people do for clamping. a in if you google search you weep find more people doing it that way then not.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

From what I saw in the vid the used what most people do for clamping. a in if you google search you weep find more people doing it that way then not.

You're not catching the point trying to be made. The results are different because they're different measurements.

600w @ 1% THD and 900w clipped. The clamp is showing the clipped power after the other two stopped their measurements. That's why they're different. Not because of the inherent inaccuracy of clamping on subs.

But I will agree that most people just clamp their shit where ever. But in this case, the clamp is entirely accurate.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

Sure, there are "accurate" ways to clamp. I posted a vid pretty much showing that. But in all honesty, who has a load to use besides a subwoofer? You'll still need an appropriate high quality o-scope to find the phase angle. I'm not saying that it can't be done with some degree of accuracy, but for us normal guys that don't own a shop it's so much easier to just buy the tools. Even if I did own a shop, I would take the AMM or AD method over having to use 3-4 tools at once all day every day, even if they are a little more expensive. Convenience and accuracy are not cheap.

Plus so much easier/faster/simpler/efficient.

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

I hate long signatures....

...what the fuck is wrong wiht you you fucking fuckity fuck fuck head...

Mtnbikecrazy55 Feedback

Google search clamping and see what you find, I don't find much of anything about the use of a scope or true rms meter.

From what I see the common methods of clamping is dmm and clamp meter then multiply the result for wattage.

That method being what is easily found on a google search id more misleading then the vid in this thread. the vid shows the most.widely used form if clamping being less accurate then the amm1. The video isn't saying that's the correct way, it's just simply the way that most people do it because it's what info is easily found online for measuring output of an amplifier.

Yes there is a correct way to clamp that takes time money and effort. Not to mention can easily have errors due to the human factor. People aren't perfect and make mistakes.

The Amm1 has accuracy, convenience, easy transportation, and can earn money back for you. Get the amm1 charge friends 5-10 per amp tested. Say you get 4 friends all with 2 amps, at 5 an amp you make $40, Could make that money in Ann hour or 2 all on the same day. That's $20-40 per hour under the table and who wouldn't want to make that much money per hour? Try to do that with even the cheap in accurate clamp method with just a dmm and clamp meter. Wouldn't be.able to get.that many amps tested using a true rms and scope either.

Edited by alaskanzx5

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

All I gotta say is amm-1 is a great tool. Pricey but good tool. Prolly best smd tool to date.

Video showed clamp wrong. Admit it and move forward. How hard is it to make another 4 minute video? Someone who doesn't read through all these pages or watches video on Facebook or YouTube are going to be mislead. Your product can sell itself, doesn't need to put others down in false ways to sell it.

For clamping in a car to see real power this tool is probably the easiest most affordable out there. Are there other ways, yes but this tool will eliminate all human error and be dead on everytime.

Awesome stuff.

How about this, would you like me to redo the test and use only a TRMS Multi meter. THen how are you going to know the point where clipping occured?

The only thing wrong with what I did may be the way I come across on the video instead of explaining why there is such a drastic difference.

Here is the fact of the matter. 99% of people who clamp are going to do exactly what I did. Take the biggest number you see and claim it as watts.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

you guys realise the answer you get when u just multiply voltage X current is a peak number right. If you multiply for rms which means taking the peak figure and then multiply by .707 you will get 651. also.

therefore the clamp isnt incorrect at all.

at the end of the day how can the clamp and multimeter be wrong ohms law has never changed. even if the dmm and clamp is crap the figure wont be off by a mile.

just my 2 bits i can be wrong. this is just my opinion.

I had no intention of ever buying an AMM1. After reading through this and needing a clamp a scope a truerms mm. I hope I can jump on the amm1 presale to add this to my other smd tools. My biggest headache is my OCD and I need everything organized. Cheaper or more expensive, I don't care it's an all in one tool. Plain and simple. Why shouldn't the company make a profit? Some people don't believe in mark-up or profits.

Edited by 775Tundra

2003 Tahoe

dc 7.5k

dc level 5 15's (3)

MMats 341's

xs power batts

lots of sky high cable

dual alts(came off the sky-high gmc and don't know who made them)

ipad in center console

vu-din in center console

all being ripped out and being sold

you guys realise the answer you get when u just multiply voltage X current is a peak number right. If you multiply for rms which means taking the peak figure and then multiply by .707 you will get 651. also.

therefore the clamp isnt incorrect at all.

at the end of the day how can the clamp and multimeter be wrong ohms law has never changed. even if the dmm and clamp is crap the figure wont be off by a mile.

just my 2 bits i can be wrong. this is just my opinion.

Most handheld meters already measure RMS, not peak. So there's no need to multiply by 0.707 unless you're looking at peak numbers from an o-scope.

Ohms Law is fine.......for DC. Doesn't directly apply for AC (amplifier output).

Tony has a whole string of vids to teach people the basics:

• Like (+1 Rep) 4

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png