Second Skin Audio

So, I have a question about soft/stiff spiders vs more or less power.

I am trying to understand this better and figured you all could help.

For Examples sake- say we have 1 sub that has different spider pack options.

In my mind, it makes sense that you would want the sub to be moving as far as it can before it reaches mechanical limits right? (to be the loudest)

Why would you opt to have spiders that keep the sub stiffer and harder to move-wouldnt that make it quieter?

I feel like it would make more sense to have a sub that is rated at 1000 rms and has a soft spider pack so that when you put a low amount of power to it, it would be moving and be louder. Why would you want a stiff spider pack even though it means you would have to have more power to move the sub-even if it could handle over rms rating. Wouldnt that just make it inefficient? Taking all the extra power to move the cone the same distance- then causing more heat just to need more electrical to be equally as loud?

I know there is a reason people do it. I am just trying to figure out why.

If you need your truck to haul a heavy load, do you put weaker springs on it?

The thing with stiff suspensions is that they're necessary to keep the sub from hitting its mechanical limits when more power is applied. When you go with stiffer suspension, you can handle more power and all that is a balance between power and efficiency, just as it is with the suspension under a pickup truck.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

Most of the power ratings you see are just the thermal limit of the coil.

The mechanical limit is where most people get in trouble. Reaching the mechanical limit is going to be based on several factors (other than power applied) - moving mass, suspension stiffness, Fs, and of course box design.

Stiffer suspension helps with reaching the mechanical limit, but of course there are trade offs. A big one - a higher Fs.

Extra spiders when spaced or stacked enough will also help with coil rock.

Bottom line - just adding spiders is just like any other "solution". It is not always the best idea, but it can help in many situations. Depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Brian

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Archived