Second Skin Audio

4th order troubleshooting

Previously I had 2 psi reconed re sx 18s in a 4th order in the bed of my truck. I was doing 153s at 33hz. I sold them thinking that 5 12s would be louder. I bought 5 rockford fosgate p3 12s thinking they would be louder because they had more surface area and more rms. When I put them in I was barely doing 140s. I tried changing out the ports and decreasing the sealed chamber which ended up making it sound better but not any louder. What am I doing wrong? Theoretically it should be louder right?

The box is 29.5 cubic feet by 11.5 cubic feet (after displacement)

After I changed shrunk the rear chamber it is now 6 cubic feet but easily changeable back if need be.

I understand more cone area, but why go from decently stout subs to cheap series fosgates?

Plus, even though 5 12 > 2 18 in cone area, 565.5sq in > 508.7sq in, you barely gained cone area and sacrificed motor force for a very small cone area gain, not to mention again, the RE's have more throw than the P3's, therefore you were probably moving more air as well.

edit: one thing you can try, put a term lab in the front chamber, meter it at peak freq, then put it at the point where the loading wall turns into the port, meter there at same freq. If the number is down, then you are loosing pressure as the wave forms, rather than it maturing and pressure increasing as it leaves the enclosure, but this is mainly all theoretical, but has worked for a local guy doing 164+ with a 4th order.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

How do you have it wired (final load)? I don't have experience with Fosgate subs, but are you sure those subs work well in a 4th order? Double check to make sure the polarity is the same on all the subs. Unlikely, but make sure all your settings on the head unit are the same and no RCA's got unplugged or anything.

Sorry to be so vague but I'm just thinking of any little details that are easily missed sometimes.

I was originally trying to wall 6 in the cab but did not like how it sounded with limited space. I wasn't thinking about the xmax at all when I did this. But the more that I think about it the more I think thats the problem. I am leaving soon for bootcamp. When I get back I will have roughly 10 grand. Any ideas on how I can get this to the upper 150s on music?

I was originally trying to wall 6 in the cab but did not like how it sounded with limited space. I wasn't thinking about the xmax at all when I did this. But the more that I think about it the more I think thats the problem. I am leaving soon for bootcamp. When I get back I will have roughly 10 grand. Any ideas on how I can get this to the upper 150s on music?

4 15s on 10k in a 4th would work.... that or get 2 beefier 18s and go with your old 4th design that did well for the RE SX's, just add more power and make sure the stronger subs like 4th orders.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

High 50s on music is a TALL order and it's going to require more than two subs that area rated at 1000W RMS. Very few(I can think of one) members here are doing high 50s on music with a blowthrough. Back I don't even know if his numbers are on music. The only guys I know doing high 50s are the Black Nasty(AMI Customs) and Kevin(Kevosinn) and both are in walled setups with lots of cone and power.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Archived