Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Would you use birch or mdf for this box (pic)


mmets

Recommended Posts

Posted

Going to start building a new box next week. Will get some wood Monday at some point I think. I have this design that was done up and the only change with it will be the bracing. 5/8 threaded rod. Four front to back, four top to bottom and one that will go from left to right through the center port. I have read about birch and mdf and dont want the pros and cons. Just wondering what you guys would build this out of. Either way its either 3/4 mdf or 3/4 cabinet grade birch 9 ply, well 9 ply and a half (thats what i was told since the 10th ply is only half the size of the rest)

So birch or mdf on this one here? TIA (DC level 5 15s, 2 5K's)

PortedBoxfor215DCAudioLevel5s-2_zpsd1486

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/177477-slowboring-07-trailblazer-build/

Pioneer DEH-80PRS
PRV 8MR400-NDY (eight)

PRV TW350Ti (6)
Sky High 1/0 OFC, 12 gauge and 8 gauge
TM Metalworkz battery terminals

120 sqft Hushmat
XS Power D3100 (6)
Singer 350 Amp Alt

Singer 320 (2)
American Bass SQL3200

JL Audio JX360/4

Crossfire XS 8K (2)

DC Audio XL 15s (6)

VbjgkeI_zpsc016cd1e.jpg

Posted

I can afford either. Only thing never did a birch box before and am kind of itching to do one but don't want to spend the money just to turn around and end up getting mdf if I don't like it.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/177477-slowboring-07-trailblazer-build/

Pioneer DEH-80PRS
PRV 8MR400-NDY (eight)

PRV TW350Ti (6)
Sky High 1/0 OFC, 12 gauge and 8 gauge
TM Metalworkz battery terminals

120 sqft Hushmat
XS Power D3100 (6)
Singer 350 Amp Alt

Singer 320 (2)
American Bass SQL3200

JL Audio JX360/4

Crossfire XS 8K (2)

DC Audio XL 15s (6)

VbjgkeI_zpsc016cd1e.jpg

Posted

Whats not to like ? dont think there is a sound difference between the two ..i would use birch though

2006 Dodge Ram 1500

Xs3400

1500BDCP

FI BL 12

3sq @ 32hz

Rockford t675

T400.2

Stinger Deadner

Build Log Here

Posted

Depends. If it comes out good I may stain it if I use birch, or at least the port and wrap the rest. MDF will get wrapped.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/177477-slowboring-07-trailblazer-build/

Pioneer DEH-80PRS
PRV 8MR400-NDY (eight)

PRV TW350Ti (6)
Sky High 1/0 OFC, 12 gauge and 8 gauge
TM Metalworkz battery terminals

120 sqft Hushmat
XS Power D3100 (6)
Singer 350 Amp Alt

Singer 320 (2)
American Bass SQL3200

JL Audio JX360/4

Crossfire XS 8K (2)

DC Audio XL 15s (6)

VbjgkeI_zpsc016cd1e.jpg

Posted

The enclosure will already way a quite a bit with the Level 5s mounted up, so I would try to save a bit of weight by using Birch.

Edit: AudioFanatics mentions below that quality Birch will be nearly as heavy as MDF.

04 Honda Accord LX Sedan

Kenwood Excelon X998

XS Power D3400

XS Power D1200

Singer 275A alternator with factory bypass

64 sqft SecondSkin Damplifier

Build to be decided

:peepwall:

Posted

If you have never cut birch know that you should cut it face up or the saw blade (table saw) will chip the grain pretty bad. I would go with birch because stained boxes just look much classier to me. Good Luck

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3268 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...