Jump to content

Got my first XS battery. Something isn't right though.


Recommended Posts

Posted

Thanks for the replies, but as stated. My alternator is fine. And yes your alternator does determine charging voltage. its called a voltage regulator. 15 volts is just what XS calls for at a temp of 50f (obviously the engine will warm up and not be 50 for long). and btw starting voltage is what the voltage is with the car off, get it, its the amount of voltage used to START the car and charging voltage is with the alternator producing a current to the battery, and for your info a alt does charge a battery. If your battery is barely charged enough to start your car and you let it run for 15 minutes, guess what your alt will charge the battery. I though you guys would be smarter, I dont need a lesson on the things I already know, would like experience from someone with this battery.

Ok... Do your own thing if you are so smart. I guess you don't need my help

Posted

So it sits at 13.7 and when you are running it is charging at 14v? That does seem a tad low. What else is happening besides weird charging. I mean does the battery hold the charge well. When you go out to start is it all good. I guess I'm just asking are there any other problems or is it just charging differently than you are used to?

Well when I went out this morning for example. It was at 15.0 (which it never got close to yesterday). It slowly dropped down to 14.7 (which is what I would expect it to go to). Then about 20 minutes after driving it was down to 13.9-14.1 at a stop with no accessories going, and 14.4 while driving down the interstate. Im extremely familiar with how a cars electrical system works, Ive built race cars my whole life so I dont need a lesson on it, Im just curious if this should be normal for this battery. IMO this battery should easily sit at 14.5-.6 at idle with my alternator.

Posted

N()()B

Zeke

'14

2003 Chevy Monte Carlo SS

MONTEside00030001.jpg

Vehicle Details & Mod List: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/1703-chevrolet-monte-carlo-ss/

Audio Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/143276-2003-chevy-monte-carlo-ss-audio-build-ib-build

Pioneer FH-P8000BT

Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1

Fi IB3 (Two 12", 2-ohm SVC)

RF T400-2 & T500-1bdCP

MechMan S Series 240A

XS Power D3400 & D975

311-vector-logo_zps0d152f73.png sutliffSig_zpsb1df26dd.png

Posted

So it sits at 13.7 and when you are running it is charging at 14v? That does seem a tad low. What else is happening besides weird charging. I mean does the battery hold the charge well. When you go out to start is it all good. I guess I'm just asking are there any other problems or is it just charging differently than you are used to?

Well when I went out this morning for example. It was at 15.0 (which it never got close to yesterday). It slowly dropped down to 14.7 (which is what I would expect it to go to). Then about 20 minutes after driving it was down to 13.9-14.1 at a stop with no accessories going, and 14.4 while driving down the interstate. Im extremely familiar with how a cars electrical system works, Ive built race cars my whole life so I dont need a lesson on it, Im just curious if this should be normal for this battery. IMO this battery should easily sit at 14.5-.6 at idle with my alternator.
I think you're good. Somewhere between 13.8 and 14.4 is where it should sit while charging, so if that's where you're at you will be fine. Charging up around 15 is real hard on those batteries so I would be glad it has come down. So yeah I think its doing what it should.
Posted

Your electrical is fine. Ever vehicle is different. My jeep charges at 14.7 to 14.9 drops to 14.3 at traffic lights because of low idle. Batteries rest at 12.9 XS 3100.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/


th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

Posted

It looks like two babies are having a conversation. If you know so much why is you come asking for help? Since your batt is messed up you should just give it to me.

750??! Yeah, fuck that. Fuck this website, fuck SMD, fuck Steve, fuck all of his butt buddy mods, and their couches.

^ DON'T BE A DICK LIKE THIS GUY :)

Team Subsonic Lows

Posted

Don't some guys prefer not to use an alternator in race cars and rely solely on the battery? I'm not sure how race car expertise gives the same level of knowledge about an electrical system.

It's like if I were a doctor that worked in a complex with other doctors. If my specialty was Cardiology, I wouldn't tell a patient that I knew how to work on their teeth because,"hey, I'm a doctor bro".

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Posted

I own the same exact battery, I have a stock alternator on a full-size late model GMC truck. My battery charges and rests at exactly where it should. Your alternator sound to me like it's charging your battery fine. I think there is no problem at all currently. How long that DB electric alternator lasts though, that is a mystery.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Posted

Don't some guys prefer not to use an alternator in race cars and rely solely on the battery? I'm not sure how race car expertise gives the same level of knowledge about an electrical system.

It's like if I were a doctor that worked in a complex with other doctors. If my specialty was Cardiology, I wouldn't tell a patient that I knew how to work on their teeth because,"hey, I'm a doctor bro".

That is a FACT, Clean. My best friend has raced for over 20 years - dirt track up here in the NorthEast, & has never once ran an ALT.

Runs IMCA Mods, DIRT Big Blocks, & DIRT Sportsman, & DIRT Late Models ... & has always simply used either a Yellow or Red top Optima ... Just slap on the BATT charger between each race, & a trickler during the week, & the "Go Fast, Turn Left".

EDIT: A 'lil, smiple site I keep for him, ... http://www.campcourcy.com/

Zeke

'14

2003 Chevy Monte Carlo SS

MONTEside00030001.jpg

Vehicle Details & Mod List: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/1703-chevrolet-monte-carlo-ss/

Audio Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/143276-2003-chevy-monte-carlo-ss-audio-build-ib-build

Pioneer FH-P8000BT

Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1

Fi IB3 (Two 12", 2-ohm SVC)

RF T400-2 & T500-1bdCP

MechMan S Series 240A

XS Power D3400 & D975

311-vector-logo_zps0d152f73.png sutliffSig_zpsb1df26dd.png

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4106 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...