Sonic Electronix

Shop said they dont use DD1 or Oscope to tune. they do it by ear. Should i trust them?

The shop i'm getting my system installed at says that they don't use a DD1 or Oscilloscope to tune woofers. They said they do it by ear. Its gonna be 2 13w7s. would hate to blow them. Should i trust the shop?

2004 Jeep Liberty Limited

2 13w7s

skar 3500

cnf mids (soon)

xs batteries

hell no so how do they know where the system clips. even in my early days i bought a used o scope from an assembly factory. Now i currently use dd-1, cc-1 and amm-1 also i invested in a term-lab. they could do the install but get someone to tune that system properly

"crank it til it hertz"

If that is what they told you, then you are at the wrong shop.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Car audio IMO revolves around clipping. Clipping = bad. Either it clips or it doesn't, it's a black and white sort of thing, so either they do use a O-scope/DD-1 or they don't. SO....get a new shop ASAP.

soft clipping is a whole nother argument.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

that's a whole lot of money to go up in smoke....

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

I've always tuned by ear. Bthen again, I tune for headroom ... not for clipping.

And I've NEVER blown a driver or amplifier.

So it all depends on the application of the install ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

I believe with the technology as cheap as it is all shops should have the means to tune properly. Very few can tune by ear, and if its there own install thats great but if yourpaying a shop good $ to buy & install equipment they better have the tools to do it right. Hell, our shops in ALASKA have the right tools so in my mind most should or find another shop. Good luck!

Tuning mids and highs by ear can be done without a dd-1 or oscope. But trying to tune a sub by ear is just asking for trouble.

I would never trust a shop that didn't have the basic equipment to properly tune a system.

truthsayer

Tuning mids and highs by ear can be done without a dd-1 or oscope. But trying to tune a sub by ear is just asking for trouble.

I would never trust a shop that didn't have the basic equipment to properly tune a system.

You think you can hear harmonic distortion with the volume on 1? Only a tool should be used...fuck why do people think ear-o-meters are sufficient.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

Archived