Sundown Audio

Real world amp tests

Afficionado

Waits for those who run soubdstream to come in and ask a shit ton of questions then tell you thst youre wrong because.they make good power

hueuhue, he did not advertise our results when he sold the amp :]

One of my friends recently acquired an AMM-1 and we've been having fun and testing amps. We both had been dying to know why the T2500 hadn't really been put to the test, and luckily i had one!

He also had a Soundstream 2500D that we put to the test.

This is NOT a versus thread. Buy what you like, I'm just going to give the numbers each amp did.

They were tested in my car on 2x Sundown x-12's wired to 1 ohm. The frequency that gave us the lowest impedance was 28 hz, and box rise at 28 hz brought final impedance to 1.5 ohms.

Rockford T2500 @ 1.5 ohms

When the rolled was rolled on, the Rockford put out 3100 watts.

In a burp scenario the Rockford put out 3300 watts.

Soundstream 2500D @ 1.5 ohms

On a roll on the Soundstream put out approx. 1550 watts.

In a burp scenario the Soundstream put out 1700 watts.

We were going to test a Rockford t3000...but long story short we fried it. Luckily he is an amp repair guy and he got it running again...So hopefully soon we can put it to the test. Both he and i think the T3000 will outperform the t2500, but out other two friends thing the t2500 will win out.

who knows!

Also, I put a Rockford 601S in someones jeep bridged @ 4 ohms. The least impedance we could find was 6 ohms and the 601S put out 430 watts and 6 ohms.

I'll keep updating as we test more amps if this is something you guys are in to. :]

Curious to the specsheet that came with that T2500 and how it compared because they get their numbers at like 200 hertz no?

EDIT: was the Rockford a constant power series? lower the ohms and tell me when it protects please.

3439 @ 1

33xx @ 2

it was a CP, and buy your own if you wanna run it lower.

If you have any questions relating to nutrition, lifting, or health in general, feel free to give me a PM and I will give you straight forward advice with no BS involved.

Forgot to add, this was at idle on a Mechman 240 amp alt.

Probably coulda squeezed more out of each amp if i tried to keep the RPM'S up, but I felt that running all the tests at idle would be more consistent.

If you have any questions relating to nutrition, lifting, or health in general, feel free to give me a PM and I will give you straight forward advice with no BS involved.

Never been a fan of soundstream and now I feel justified

Like i said, not for or against soundstream. And we all know the rockford is a great amp. However i will also say, you could get 5 or 6 of those soundstreams for the price of one of the rockfords tested. So i guess budget will play the most part in one's decision.

To sum it up, i love when we get to see amp test results.

Dude, what you said has nothing to do with my opinion. These amps and autotek's were the preferred amps most of the people on the S.S. Chicago were running (atleast the people I know) and they were failing or blowing their subs. I always ran to Hifonics if I was on a budget. Before I started doing the research the only amps I would spend good money on was kicker's.

Waiting for the t1500.1bdcp to be tested. If you get the chance wire one to 2ohms and test it.

would be nice if you could wire to both 1ohm and 2ohm for testing.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Did mention if this was in "Dyno" mode or not?

Love the testing. Keep the results coming.

And the SS RUB2500 is rated 1700@2. It's pretty close- especially considering the fact that he probably wasn't watching rise the whole time (since you can't dyno and monitor impedance at the same time). Not sticking up for the amp, per se' since I don't care for the new Rubicons, but it didn't do too badly.

And for the person wondering about the RF 1500, this isn't the constant power one, but...

1.4 ohm nominal

2014-04-16%2015.20.19_zpsnp5gmprq.jpg

.35 nominal

2014-04-16%2015.20.59_zpsmohuzdsk.jpg

Waits for those who run soubdstream to come in and ask a shit ton of questions then tell you thst youre wrong because.they make good power

I have no favor as to good or bad on the soundstream. But i do know two people who run the soundstream taratula 3000.1d and swear by them. I would be curious to know just exactly what they will do.

I also know people who run Boss audio and swear by them...

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

3439 @ 1

33xx @ 2

it was a CP, and buy your own if you wanna run it lower.

Sheesh, yes sir. i have my own and Steve drops his down so I know thye will run lower but I guess whatever, meh....

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Waiting for the t1500.1bdcp to be tested. If you get the chance wire one to 2ohms and test it.

would be nice if you could wire to both 1ohm and 2ohm for testing.

We'll have a t1500 bdcp to test in a few weeks. so stay tuned.

Did mention if this was in "Dyno" mode or not?

Love the testing. Keep the results coming.

And the SS RUB2500 is rated 1700@2. It's pretty close- especially considering the fact that he probably wasn't watching rise the whole time (since you can't dyno and monitor impedance at the same time). Not sticking up for the amp, per se' since I don't care for the new Rubicons, but it didn't do too badly.

And for the person wondering about the RF 1500, this isn't the constant power one, but...

1.4 ohm nominal

2014-04-16%2015.20.19_zpsnp5gmprq.jpg

.35 nominal

2014-04-16%2015.20.59_zpsmohuzdsk.jpg

we tested the impedance rise throughout the volumes. Impedance would only fluctuate from 1.5-1.6 from low volume to full volume, so that was not a factor.

And, that might be true, but in a reactive 1 ohm set-up, that is the power you're getting out of the rubi at best, because 0.5 ohm of box rise is NOT bad at all. Who knows if it could handle being played down to an actual 1 ohm load after box rise.

Planet audio 3000 is the next on the chopping block. I guesed 987 watts @ 1, but my friend says i'm giving it too much credit :]

You say that like any other amp will do 1 ohm rated power whilst being wire to 1 ohm nominal. I can only think of a couple non regulated amps that could achieve that.

And you say impedance only fluctuated one tenth from low volume to high? I'm not trying to be a dick, but I don't believe that one little bit. Lol.

But whatever... I don't really care to have a debate about the SS RUB2500.

Keep the resutls coming.

Archived