hondakid1996 Posted July 7, 2014 Report Posted July 7, 2014 Well long story short, I work at a shop that sells Rockford. A customer has blown 3 pairs of P3 15's in the past month, and up until today we've kept swapping them out. He is running them in the trunk of a Monte in a prefab ported box on a Hifonics Zeus 1500.1 at 1 ohm. So after he blows this last pair, he calls Rockford and the tech tells him it was his box that blew his subs, not his Hifonics with the gain all the way up. So I figured I'd share with everyone that according to Rockford, prefab boxes blow subs, not dirty power.
thefourth Posted July 7, 2014 Report Posted July 7, 2014 I'm sure it's a mixture of a bad box and bad amp Thanks alaskanzx5 I might just do thatI can recone a sub myself. About a year ago I took 2 12" power acoustic mofos and made one sub. I took the magnet and the motor off of one and j b welded it to the other motor and magnet. I had to wind my own voice coil so it would work. After I was done hooked up to 2 boss 5000w amps. And shattered my back and all my side windows came to this thread to recommend soundqubed and ct sounds. OP goes with soundstream. oh lawd.
philrab Posted July 7, 2014 Report Posted July 7, 2014 he calls Rockford and the tech tells him it was his box that blew his subs, not his Hifonics with the gain all the way up. Personally, I'd have called the tech out on the spot for that, and the owner/caller. Phenominally rare to have amp gain cranked to the stop and not be clipping like Hell (like rainbow colored unicorn testicles rare.) 2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread 2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount. Build Thread 1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes.
hondakid1996 Posted July 7, 2014 Author Report Posted July 7, 2014 For anyone who is familiar with Rockford techs, his name is Forest. The customer and I tried calling back to speak to him but of course he was busy at the time.
MrSkippyJ Posted July 7, 2014 Report Posted July 7, 2014 I feel like this is not the entire story...or the most accurate version of the story anyway. F150: Stock 2019 Harley Road Glide: Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt Processor: DSR1 Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx Lid (Rear) 6x9s - TMS69
SnowDrifter Posted July 7, 2014 Report Posted July 7, 2014 Clipping blows subs. Idiot customers blow subs. Lots of things blow subs Prefab boxes don't exactly help though. Box too small, port too small. Restricts sub movement and cooling ~~~~~~~~SAY NO TO PHOTOBUCKET~~~~~~~~ Snow's DD-1 tracks here: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167433-snows-dd-1-tracks/ My take on OFC vs CCA: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/110381-things-that-piss-you-off-in-the-car-audio-world/?do=findComment&comment=2461444
Jhunt94 Posted July 7, 2014 Report Posted July 7, 2014 he calls Rockford and the tech tells him it was his box that blew his subs, not his Hifonics with the gain all the way up. Personally, I'd have called the tech out on the spot for that, and the owner/caller. Phenominally rare to have amp gain cranked to the stop and not be clipping like Hell (like rainbow colored unicorn testicles rare.) 2007 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab. Flareside250 Mechman AlternatorSky High Car Audio Big 3 XS Power D3400Rockford Fosgate 1/0 amp kitRockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcpRockford Fosgate T400-4DC Audio Lvl 4 12"Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" componentRockford Fosgate Punch 6x8Pioneer AVH-P2300DVDSMD Volt Meter
Jhunt94 Posted July 7, 2014 Report Posted July 7, 2014 Clipping blows subs. Idiot customers blow subs. Lots of things blow subs Prefab boxes don't exactly help though. Box too small, port too small. Restricts sub movement and cooling The box didn't help, but I never would've thought that a tech would've just told the customer straight up that it was his box and nothing else had to do with it. I'm with Skippy I don't feel like we're hearing the whole story. 2007 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab. Flareside250 Mechman AlternatorSky High Car Audio Big 3 XS Power D3400Rockford Fosgate 1/0 amp kitRockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcpRockford Fosgate T400-4DC Audio Lvl 4 12"Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" componentRockford Fosgate Punch 6x8Pioneer AVH-P2300DVDSMD Volt Meter
ToNasty Posted July 7, 2014 Report Posted July 7, 2014 i doubt it was the box, most prefabs are restrictive . ***Super Sellers List***http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/25829-super-sellers-buyers
slowfkncar Posted July 7, 2014 Report Posted July 7, 2014 Its just a combination of simply clipping without the ssf enabled in a prefab. I have been professionally installing at my shop for 12 years. We dont get back many blown subs at all. Unless the customers tamper with it. Look at it this way,a Rockford t1000 has a subsonic filter fixed at 28hz,your average prefab is 40hz. Who's to say 35hz wont blow that rockford to bits.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.