Second Skin Audio

Fi SP4 subwoofer enclosure sizes?!?!?!?

drumstar7

You want the subs to be in individual chambers? Any reasoning behind this?

Here are your basic design tips:

1) 80" of port per sub(that's 80" per chamber)

2) 3.5 cubes of airspace per sub on that power

3) Tuning is preference so wherever you'd like and catered to the music you listen to

4) If you want a pure SPL box, tune it at like 40-45 Hz with tons of port area

5) If you want a pure SPL setup, go with a different driver. The SP4 is meant to ground pound and sound great on music and demo for long periods of time, not quick SPL burps

6) Read more about enclosure design

I can't really help you with specifics and don't have time to design you an enclosure. With your vehicle and subs, a design IS easy though, I'll tell you that much.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

You want the subs to be in individual chambers? Any reasoning behind this?

Here are your basic design tips:

1) 80" of port per sub(that's 80" per chamber)

2) 3.5 cubes of airspace per sub on that power

3) Tuning is preference so wherever you'd like and catered to the music you listen to

4) If you want a pure SPL box, tune it at like 40-45 Hz with tons of port area

5) If you want a pure SPL setup, go with a different driver. The SP4 is meant to ground pound and sound great on music and demo for long periods of time, not quick SPL burps

6) Read more about enclosure design

I can't really help you with specifics and don't have time to design you an enclosure. With your vehicle and subs, a design IS easy though, I'll tell you that much.

3.5 cubes? Seems very small! I was thinking 7 at least! 6-8 recommended by Fi.. Im not looking for burps, reason for dual chambered is two amplifiers.. Its easier to set up for me as well plus it helps brace. If I choose to only play one sub I can with this particular set up. This is daily driver btw I just like very loud bass and id love to be in the 150db range.

Actually, the woofers should be fine on a 5500 each. It is highly very unlikely he will he able to pull 1200A with three 1800's,also very unlikely for him to even sit at 1ohm while playing music. I will easily admit though, one badly recorded song or square wave will take those sub's out in a quick manner.

Do you think the 3500's would be any safer? I think I'd have to "crank" them damn near clipping to move those subs. Which is why the 5500's would be okay for me bc I can set them a bit lower and run them cooler.. Also not sharing airspace they'd be fine IMO.

Safe is user practice. You can still blow a 3000watt sub with 2500 watts of square waves. The 5500's will be fine. You just have to simply know what you are doing when playing with that much power. 11k on tap isn't really considered daily anymore which will require you to constantly monitor woofer input and the quality of the music you play.

I have thrown 5k clamped literally at the sundown nightshade, yes it could take it,yes it still got warm but it lasted for 9 months. However, one morning I was screwing around with a buddies phone and his phone or music was so badly clipping that my sub lasted 10 minuits before ALL 12 INDIVIDUAL leads caught fire and melted off of the coil. The coil was still shiny golden.

And if it's a daily driver, the number it hits shouldn't matter, as long as it sounds good and loud to you.

As far as your bracing, if you do a vertical port that runs the height of the box, between the subs, that is a good brace right there. If you have the SMD DD-1 and CC-1, you can set gains easily and gain match very quickly.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Just so you know, Fi subs arent dual 1/2, they're usually .7/1.4 but the sp4s are .6/1.2 because of clearance. So just know that youll be wired down lower then expected.

• 2 months later...

okay so I wanted to post a little bit of an update on my enclosure. I ended up building a inner changeable port tuned box/chambered and each chamber around 8 cubes each. I have two sets of port currently and thinking of making a few more sets. The first set I made and tried was 32hz ports, the sounded great for SQ but lacked in overall SLP. My second set are 41-42hz and they sound great, these sub love to breathe. Im also adding two more kinetik 2000's to my bank for a total of 5 AGM's 3-1800 and 2-2000 on a Mechman 370 elite 6 phase alt. looking at getting two refurbished Sundown Audio 3500 or 3000 amplifiers instead of the BC500's.

A big ass ratio on a 4th order bandpass tuned at the resonant frequency of the car.

SPL advice in one sentence.

Sorry, on not looking at dates of original posts

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Oh and half power would be 5.5k, so why not just run one of your 5.5ks on both of them?

Sorry, on not looking at dates of original posts

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

• 2 years later...

Archived