aculous Posted August 22, 2014 Report Posted August 22, 2014 Alright so typically I build sub enclosures out of 3/4 MDF and do a doublestack for the front baffle. Lately been doing a couple out of Birch plywood. Question is has anyone worked with other materials that may work better? I have access to Jatoba wood which is ridiculously dense and is about $7 a board food and looks awesome once finished. Just wondering if people use anything else. Reason I ask is with birch I know I am going to have to brace the hell out of the box, sealed or not. And I am not big on MDF. Ideas? ( so jatoba is brazilian cherry, for reference http://tinytimbers.com/janka.htm )
MrSkippyJ Posted August 22, 2014 Report Posted August 22, 2014 I don't know much about wood so I can't help you much. But it might help someone who does know about wood to know what about birch/MDF that you don't like. Or what you mean by better. F150: Stock 2019 Harley Road Glide: Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt Processor: DSR1 Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx Lid (Rear) 6x9s - TMS69
aculous Posted August 22, 2014 Author Report Posted August 22, 2014 I don't know much about wood so I can't help you much. But it might help someone who does know about wood to know what about birch/MDF that you don't like. Or what you mean by better. MDF: Cons = Dust, Weight, Easily dented or damaged, water retention if not 100% perfectly sealed Birch: Cons = $$ (slightly more then MDF), More bracing needed, more fragile (can break apart), Not as dense as MDF Also I am a little worried that a hardwood thats polished is going to look like a damn dinning room table in the back of my car which I am NOT going for. I looked at the berriylium BMW or whatever last night and about gave up on life....I can't fab in aluminum or plexi like that....or fiberglass....FML.
Krakin Posted August 22, 2014 Report Posted August 22, 2014 You have to remember the acoustics of the wood. Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
aculous Posted August 22, 2014 Author Report Posted August 22, 2014 You have to remember the acoustics of the wood. Well I was thinking that using a extremely dense material would take care of the issue. Can you explain a bit? I was under the impression that people use MDF because its easy to find and dense enough to not resonate when properly braced. Hardwoods like oak or something still resonate since in order for it to not move at all, you would have to brace the hell out of the box or add more material making it cheaper to run MDF for the simple fact that you would need half as much.
never knows best Posted August 22, 2014 Report Posted August 22, 2014 2" thick aluminum plate.... but really, 1" MDF reinforced with fiberglass best bet in most applications-
aculous Posted August 22, 2014 Author Report Posted August 22, 2014 2" thick aluminum plate.... but really, 1" MDF reinforced with fiberglass best bet in most applications- Understood, if I do the box in MDF I am going to cover it in resin and do some fiberglass work on it. I am working on getting more accurate on finishing edges.
Triticum Agricolam Posted August 22, 2014 Report Posted August 22, 2014 I would recommend not using solid hardwood for an enclosure. The biggest reason being that solid wood expands and contracts with changes in humidity/temperature. Building a box out of solid wood is a recipe for getting cracks and splits in your box as soon as the weather changes, not what you want. If you are looking for something other than MDF and regular birch ply I would look at some of the other types of plywood. I've used stuff called Arauco ply. Its a plywood made from pine and has 7-plys (assuming 3/4" material). Its only a little more expensive than MDF, but its lighter, stiffer, void free, and easy to work with. Other option would be baltic birch. Its different than regular birch in that it has 13-plys (again assuming 3/4" material). Its heavier than Arauco, but lighter than MDF, it is also void free and is very nice stuff to work with. The disadvantages of it is its kinda expensive, and you usually can only get it in 5'x5' sheets. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
KiKaZz74 Posted August 23, 2014 Report Posted August 23, 2014 http://www.menards.com/main/mobile/building-materials/panel-products/specialty-panels/hardwood-plywood/3-4-x-4-x-8-baltic-birch-plywood/p-1479674-c-13334.htmhttp://www.menards.com/main/mobile/building-materials/panel-products/construction-panels/sanded-plywood/3-4-x-4-x-8-premium-acx-plywood/p-1508796-c-13332.htm My SPL to SQ Build Log Vehicle:1997 Dodge Dakota Ext Cab 4x4 2009 Dodge Journey SXT5.2L V8 Magnum 3.5L V6 Stock AltEquipment: Headunit- Alpine CDE-147BT Mids/Highs Amp- JL Audio G6600 Class AB 6 Channel Sub Amp- Hifonics BRZ1700.1D @ 2 Ohms Taramps DSP3000.1D Sub- Hertz Hi Energy 12" HX300D SounDrive SDA3 12 Tweeters- Rockford Fosgate Power Series Silk Domes Hertz Hi-Energy Mids- Dayton Audio Reference 4" Full Range Drivers Midbass- Silver Flute 6.5" Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5" Processor- MiniDSP 2x4 RCA- 6 channels of SounDrive HF series Wire- EB Flex 2/0 -Member of Team SounDrive
KiKaZz74 Posted August 23, 2014 Report Posted August 23, 2014 http://www.menards.com/main/mobile/building-materials/panel-products/specialty-panels/hardwood-plywood/3-4-x-4-x-8-baltic-birch-plywood/p-1479674-c-13334.htm My SPL to SQ Build Log Vehicle:1997 Dodge Dakota Ext Cab 4x4 2009 Dodge Journey SXT5.2L V8 Magnum 3.5L V6 Stock AltEquipment: Headunit- Alpine CDE-147BT Mids/Highs Amp- JL Audio G6600 Class AB 6 Channel Sub Amp- Hifonics BRZ1700.1D @ 2 Ohms Taramps DSP3000.1D Sub- Hertz Hi Energy 12" HX300D SounDrive SDA3 12 Tweeters- Rockford Fosgate Power Series Silk Domes Hertz Hi-Energy Mids- Dayton Audio Reference 4" Full Range Drivers Midbass- Silver Flute 6.5" Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5" Processor- MiniDSP 2x4 RCA- 6 channels of SounDrive HF series Wire- EB Flex 2/0 -Member of Team SounDrive
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.