Fusing between alternator and battery?

in the last 7 cars ive done didnt fuse mine and none of the cars went up in smoke.

On 3/28/2014 at 4:22 PM, KyLar96 said:

Its all about the music anyway..... Do a proper install, something your happy with, Fuck everyone else...... improve in time, where you can..... its not rocket science...

Tiburon build //www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174059-97-hyundai-tiburon-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-slow-5k-build/

2000 Mountaineer build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186736-2000-mountaineer-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-part-iislow-5k-builddc-audio-americanbassxspowersingerarcaudiostingershcavideo-on-pg7/

2000 Mercury Mountaineer: Electrical:Singer 360 hairpin powdercoated white alt, Big 4 double run 1/0 SHCA OFC, 4 runs 1/0 OFC SHCA, limitless 70ah, HU: Pioneer deh80prs interiors: Skar sk85.4 on sb acoustics neo dome tweeters 2 Mmats sq4100s on 4 silver flute 8s(4ohm) SUB Stage: 3 DC5K [email protected] on 6 ascendant audio mayhem 12s d1.4s fully loaded

Anytime you are adding a connection to a battery, it should be fused. I don't care how bad ass of an installer you think you are, shit happens. When it comes to electrical fires, it happens real fast. The fact that someone is too cheap or too lazy to protect their investment with a simple 5 dollar item is ridiculous. Ask someone who has had a fire if not fusing their system was a good idea.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Hmm... I suppose I should make use of my fuse holder and grab the correct fuse. I'm sure a 300A fuse is too high for my set-up. What fuse size would you guys recommend for my set-up in my signature?

Yeah mechman strongly advises against fusing on the alternator run. They said it's completely safe as long as your wires are run smartly.

Fuse for your wiring, so if you're using 1/0 OFC 300a is fine.

Syphlyns 2000 F150 4.6L V8

H/U: Kendwood KDC-X898

Speakers: 4 x Alpine SPR-68 Speakers

4 Channel Amp: Alpine PDX-F4

Sub: Sundown Zv4 12

Sub Amp: Sundown SAZ-2000D

Box: 2.75 Cu Ft @ 31Hz

Alternator: Mechman 250A elite series

Wiring: All KnuKoncepz 0 gauge OFC + KnuKonceptz Krystal RCAs

Copied from our web site ( http://www.ceautoelectricsupply.com/big3kitstop.html ):

FUSE THE CHARGE LEAD OPTION
Most OEM charge leads have a fusible link on them. Its purpose is to protect on-board electronics in the event that the regulator fails and causes "voltage run-away." Although this is quite uncommon, fusing the charge lead included in any of our kits provides the same protection for your larger than stock alternator.
When choosing this option, we'll include a Rockford Fosgate ANL Fuse Holder, a 100A / 125A / 150A / 200A / 250A / 300A fuse (your choice), and mounting hardware. In addition, we increase the length of the charge lead by 1 foot to allow you to choose a good mounting location for the fuse holder and still have a nice smooth run from the alternator to the battery.

Yeah mechman strongly advises against fusing on the alternator run. They said it's completely safe as long as your wires are run smartly.

Fuse for your wiring, so if you're using 1/0 OFC 300a is fine.

No offense to mechman, but I trust Snafu for electronics more than I ever will pretty much anyone else.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

fuse it. dont be lazy

Hardly about being lazy, I have the fuse holder here. I emailed mechman and as snafu stated even if the voltage regulator went it wouldn't pop the 200A fuse, but the voltage would definitely increase.

The only way a fuse would pop if the voltage regulator went was if the amperage exceeded 200 amps (my fuse rating).

I know snafu knows his stuff but shouldn't we listen to the people who make the product? They wouldn't sell you something and then tell you to do something that could mess it up, that would be a terrible business plan.

edit: it seems the sides are pretty much 50/50 on here...

Syphlyns 2000 F150 4.6L V8

H/U: Kendwood KDC-X898

Speakers: 4 x Alpine SPR-68 Speakers

4 Channel Amp: Alpine PDX-F4

Sub: Sundown Zv4 12

Sub Amp: Sundown SAZ-2000D

Box: 2.75 Cu Ft @ 31Hz

Alternator: Mechman 250A elite series

Wiring: All KnuKoncepz 0 gauge OFC + KnuKonceptz Krystal RCAs

fuse it. dont be lazy

Hardly about being lazy, I have the fuse holder here. I emailed mechman and as snafu stated even if the voltage regulator went it wouldn't pop the 200A fuse, but the voltage would definitely increase.

The only way a fuse would pop if the voltage regulator went was if the amperage exceeded 200 amps (my fuse rating).

I know snafu knows his stuff but shouldn't we listen to the people who make the product? They wouldn't sell you something and then tell you to do something that could mess it up, that would be a terrible business plan.

edit: it seems the sides are pretty much 50/50 on here...

It's not the alt you need to be worried about its the rest of your cars electrical system, if the regulator went that means the Alt is already damaged and will need repair.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Hmm... I suppose I should make use of my fuse holder and grab the correct fuse. I'm sure a 300A fuse is too high for my set-up. What fuse size would you guys recommend for my set-up in my signature?

Based off your 160 amp alt I would fuse at 160 or slightly higher, no reason to fuse higher even if the amp can draw more if you don't have it to give.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived