Solar battery charger?

Thinking it would be neat to have a 10-15 watt battery maintainer. I figured it would be neat since my car is outdoors 24/7

Just trying to figure out what I would need as far as parts go. At least I'm planning on this being a custom project since I'm running 14v and would need it to be around 15.5v.

There's the obvious solar panel. Would need to find something higher voltage since lots of panels need a lot of sun to put out the voltage I need. Then some sort of voltage regulator. Possibly a buck converter? Then a diode to prevent backfeeding. Although I'm not sure this is needed - I'm not terribly familiar with buck converter circuitry. Do these have a diode built in?

Uhhh..... Just trying to figure this out and see if it would be feasible. Ideas?

In for knowledge.

I have been thinking about doing this ever time I walk past the solar panels in Harborfreight.

I love Goal Zero products. Don't know how well they would actually work charging 12v though

I don't fuck around. I go from zero to I hope you die in less than 2 posts

build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/104524-new-subs-coming-sundown-3500d-arc-audio-cable-lacing-crescendo/

I've been tossing this idea around for awhile now. With the tonneau cover on the truck, I could get a good amount of panel space to work with

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

The other thing I could do with this is wire my dashcam to run 24/7 since current draw will be a non issue

Would be cool to just throw it on your dash like a sunshade. Dual functions! Here's a 20W:

http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-50123-Solar-Battery-Charging/dp/B0091I1Q5U/ref=pd_sbs_auto_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SQSH6ASF06935MA767Q

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

My truch sits quite often, I was thinking about 2 of those panels mounted on my tonneau cover. How well would this work? I live in AZ, ton of sunlight here.

Archived