Infinitely variable ohm load. Is box rise obsolete?

Anyways... Variac should be here tomorrow. It's 45lbs and rated to 5kw. 110v in, 240v out

Can you send me the info/specs on this beast?

I wanna check it out.

:D

What nominal load are you planning on using?

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Wicks, great explanation. But that scenario is at a single frequency, correct? So how would things react in a song with many transitions and frequencies? Would the variac have to adjust for each one? Or would you set up the variac at the frequency that shows the highest resistance?

Sorry if its confusing LOL. I have these questions but don't know quite how to word it?

OK, so here is an impedance sweep of my subs, in the box, with the doors closed.

XL12InboxDoorClosedImpedance_zpsf8f2f786

You can see the impedance changes drastically with frequency but the transformer should do the same thing at each frequency.

So adjusting the variac will basically just move this whole chart up or down.

Assuming the variac itself doesn't alter or filter the audio signal itself.

I would think that most large power transformers are tailored to 60/120Hz for home AC distribution so I'd be curious how it could handle ~20Hz...

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Wicks, great explanation. But that scenario is at a single frequency, correct? So how would things react in a song with many transitions and frequencies? Would the variac have to adjust for each one? Or would you set up the variac at the frequency that shows the highest resistance?

Sorry if its confusing LOL. I have these questions but don't know quite how to word it?

A transformer doesn't set an impedance and everything is that impedance on the input side, it merely multiplies it by some factor depending on the number of turns on each side. The impedance matching transformers in "audio" are almost exclusively used in tube systems <20 watts.

Thx Man.

A variac is just a variable transformer and impedance matching transformers were/are used on music all the time.

Assuming the variac can handle the low frequencies which I'm not sure on and might need some testing or research.

Let me dig around and get one of my own impedance curves and I'll explain the different frequencies further....

A coil is essentially a dead short to DC and impedance rises directly proportional to frequency. Assuming your variac is built for 60hz (AC out of a wall) that or under should be negligible inductance from the coil itself.

Seriously, this is a really bad idea.

But the amp puts out a/c voltage. Why mention D/C?

Because the point is the lower the frequency the less inductance/impedance from the coil on the transformer.... down to just the resistance of the wire at DC. Does anybody on this thread even understand how coils and transformers work?

Does anybody on this thread even understand how coils and transformers work?

Thinking the guy that's studying electrical engineering might. Just saying.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

It seems to me that if it would just knock down your impedance through out your playable band, you may chop your peaks down, but go into protect at your lower.

To me, unless it adjusts on the fly, I just don't see the need. Unless you wanna burp at freq's here and there.

For music, runs especially, just plot your shiz, and wire accordingly. :shrugs:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived