coh33dkill3r Posted December 22, 2014 Report Posted December 22, 2014 I've placed a bunch of topics on this site and can't make up my mind on which direction to take...Me and a buddy were talking and came up with an idea I wanna run by everyone on SMD.... If I was to wall my car ( c-pillar) I could fit 2 sundown ZV4 15s ported..... But I could also fit 4 ZV3 15s SEALED.... I understand going sealed loses a ton of output but would the cone area and motor force make up for the loss of output?? Is cone area always king??
gmoxley1 Posted December 22, 2014 Report Posted December 22, 2014 power is also a pretty important factor. that being said ive never done a test myself especially when using two different types of subs. 1998 chevy blazer 4 door stock alt 105a Battery: Autocraft Gold 75-3 Big Three in Sky High Car Audio 4ga subs: rockford p2 12's (soon to be sundown SA 12's) Sundown SAZ-1200d on the subs Mids and Highs: Infinity kappa 6.5 mid in front doors and tweets in Dash sae 50.4 for mids and highs SMD OM-1 on the subs
SQL50 Posted December 22, 2014 Report Posted December 22, 2014 You have to consider what type of sound your after also.. if it was me I would save money and do two zv4s.
Sergeant_Skyrim Posted December 22, 2014 Report Posted December 22, 2014 Ported, why add all that extra weight and spend twice as much money on batteries, amps, wire, etc just to get close to the same output?. I'm not going to say that one will be louder than the other for sure because you'd have to test it to find out, but there are just so many more pros to doing two in a ported setup. Less power required if you're using same subs, meaning less electrical you have to buy to provide that power. Build in progress
Joe X Posted December 22, 2014 Report Posted December 22, 2014 If you can fit 4 Zv4 15 sealed you can likely fit 2 Zv4 18 ported, if you are after loud, 2 18s is a no brainer.
coh33dkill3r Posted December 23, 2014 Author Report Posted December 23, 2014 I can fit zv3 15s sealed. Not the zv4 though.
coh33dkill3r Posted December 23, 2014 Author Report Posted December 23, 2014 So if I have max dimensions for a wall of 40W x 43H x 17D with 180-200" of port would would that leave me for internal volume???
gckless Posted December 23, 2014 Report Posted December 23, 2014 Is that external or internal dimensions? And you forgot the 3rd dimension for the port, impossible to calculate without it. Do some math. Account for the wood, multiply your dimensions and then divide by 1728 (inches in a cubic foot). Not to be a dick but this is basic stuff you should be able to do. "Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand. My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/ High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography
coh33dkill3r Posted December 23, 2014 Author Report Posted December 23, 2014 That's external and I can calculate internal volume without port.... I have 14.33 before displacements.... I don't have any programs to help with the displacement of port area as I do all my online off of my iPhone which is the reason I ask someone like joe x who has it
alaskanzx5 Posted December 23, 2014 Report Posted December 23, 2014 Might be able to get away with 3 15" ported. Give them each 3.5 cuft net, puts you at needing 10.5 net. Pending subs 200-300" if port area. So you would have about 4 cuft to use for the port, bracing, and sub displacement. Or there is always 4 12. 2-2.5 per 8-12 net needed about 200-300" of port still. Lots of options. Here is one question though, if 14.33 is gross internal volume what are you using for the box? How thick are the walks going to be? How many baffles? t1500bdcp 2 t2d4 15" 1 t600.4 1 t400.2 1 set p1 tweets singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.