Crimp/Solder 1/0 options

Hey guys, its about time I start putting some connections together for my build, but before i start going ham with a bunch of valuable 1/0 lugs and cable, what is the best method for connections, I have soldered 4ga before with mixed results (had to re-solder a few of the wires later on). I have also "poor man crimped" with a vise, works great, looks like garbage! I wish I had access to a hydraulic Crimper but I don't, and my local Acklands-Grainger sells them for $2000+, not really in my budget. I have SHCA closed end 1/0 lugs and am using both SHCA and KnuKoncepts 1/0 cable. What is going to be the best option for me? any input is appreciated, Thanks!

-If its loud, fast, outrageous, or all of the above, chances are i'll think its awesome.

-"No way he's OCD." -said none of the people that know me ever.

04' Suburban "Lucifer" A.K.A #Lucii (Under Construction)

4 10s on 4kW in 6cu net @~28hz

/////Alpine

Crescendo

KnuKoncepts

Optima

SHCA

Build Thread

92' JDM 325i "Stella" ~Going for sale to build a 350+hp E30~

Gutted pipes

96,000 OG KM's (59,000 mi)

-System Removed-

1 10 on 1kW

89' Gen 3 Honda Prelude SI AWS "Odis"

Bone Stock

Possibly going to stance it

Crimping. I liked soldering the 1/0 at first. Then it got to be a pain in the ass doing 20 connections. Love crimping, takes all of 30 seconds to throw a lug on a wire end. arguably a better connection than solder as well.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

This is the same one I have......no problems with it so far (couldn't even tell you how many times I've used it).

Singer Alternators

Team Asshole

#anothershittysingerbuild

Okay awesome! Thank you! I have seen those ebay ones before for $50 but i always assumed they were garbage so dismissed them, if people are having good luck with them it might be worth a shot.

-If its loud, fast, outrageous, or all of the above, chances are i'll think its awesome.

-"No way he's OCD." -said none of the people that know me ever.

04' Suburban "Lucifer" A.K.A #Lucii (Under Construction)

4 10s on 4kW in 6cu net @~28hz

/////Alpine

Crescendo

KnuKoncepts

Optima

SHCA

Build Thread

92' JDM 325i "Stella" ~Going for sale to build a 350+hp E30~

Gutted pipes

96,000 OG KM's (59,000 mi)

-System Removed-

1 10 on 1kW

89' Gen 3 Honda Prelude SI AWS "Odis"

Bone Stock

Possibly going to stance it

Why is crimping better than soldering,especially on larger cable and how do you use the hydraulic crimper?

Crimping with a hydraulic crimper virtually makes the copper strands into one solid piece of copper. If you were to cut a properly crimped terminal off it would be one solid piece of copper.

Archived