router table instead of table saw?

im45pl

If you don't plan on using it a lot, make a homemade guide and be done with it. It takes a little more time but with a couple clamps and straight board, you can get very nice accurate cuts with a cheap circular saw.

yeah already got a guide with a circ saw and also the plunge saw with a track. for large pieces they are awesome but for the smaller stuff not so much, i may just get a small one and put it out of the way when im not using it. i could be over thinking this too i tend to get carried away, hence my posting here for some other options that may be better, kinda like thinking out loud...

if you are really hurting for space you can get a cordless or mini circular saw. They have about a 4" blade and would be a heck of a lot cheaper then a table saw if its only for small pieces.

http://www.toolbarn.com/makita-sh01zw.html?gclid=CKahjtnh68QCFQoNaQodNIAA0w

In my experience the jobsite or portable table saws are junk. A real table saw is great but you need a full-size one because really its all about the rip fence and the jigs you can build.

Table saws are really good at repeatability and straight cuts. Although almost everything I can do on a table saw I can do with a circular saw.

If you don't plan on using it a lot, make a homemade guide and be done with it. It takes a little more time but with a couple clamps and straight board, you can get very nice accurate cuts with a cheap circular saw.

yeah already got a guide with a circ saw and also the plunge saw with a track. for large pieces they are awesome but for the smaller stuff not so much, i may just get a small one and put it out of the way when im not using it. i could be over thinking this too i tend to get carried away, hence my posting here for some other options that may be better, kinda like thinking out loud...

if you are really hurting for space you can get a cordless or mini circular saw. They have about a 4" blade and would be a heck of a lot cheaper then a table saw if its only for small pieces.

In my experience the jobsite or portable table saws are junk. A real table saw is great but you need a full-size one because really its all about the rip fence and the jigs you can build.

Table saws are really good at repeatability and straight cuts. Although almost everything I can do on a table saw I can do with a circular saw.

it is the repeatable cuts that i am interested in as no matter how hard i try i can never seem to get two pieces the same, they are always out buy a mm or two.

DCSig.jpg

TEAM DC AUSTRALIA

13e4c3e0-74af-42b9-8d07-ebbd2b684e14_zps7d713c4c.jpg

LOL Almost everything I can do on a table saw I can do with a circular saw! First tool of any shop a good table saw. Cicular saws are rough they are meant to be used to cut 2x4 not speaker boxes etc. Journymen Cabinet maker Memember of the AWI here. Still have all my fingers!

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

so you don't have room for a table saw but you have room for a router table with a big plane of wood around it???? something is severely wrong here. first off router bits are made for trimming material not chopping material off. this is why you installers/fabricators rough cut material instead of just using the bit to cut all the material. yeah you can use it to cut the material but you'll only see installers/fabricators do this to save time but they all go through router bits like crazy. as stated earlier in this thread that a table saw is only as good as it's fence, i'll add to that in saying that a decent fence with a good out feed table is best served. I have a nice $1k table saw at my house with a very small out feed table while at the shop I use a cheap $120 Ryobi table saw with a moderately sized out feed table. I can literally cut the exact same stuff at home or at the shop. why not just get the cheap Ryobi like I have and make an out feed table that will house your router table too, it'll be cheaper and easier to use.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

well i have room for one or the other, and i already have the router... as i want to set it up with a work area around it, though after thinking the saw will probably be more useful and i can bring the router out when needed. still trying to think about a way i can fit both in there.

DCSig.jpg

TEAM DC AUSTRALIA

13e4c3e0-74af-42b9-8d07-ebbd2b684e14_zps7d713c4c.jpg

LOL Almost everything I can do on a table saw I can do with a circular saw! First tool of any shop a good table saw. Cicular saws are rough they are meant to be used to cut 2x4 not speaker boxes etc. Journymen Cabinet maker Memember of the AWI here. Still have all my fingers!

Well I was giving my opinion, I have a jobsite table saw which is about worthless with its small rip fence. I am finding out a table saws utility is more about the rip fence and jigs that you make. I am a novice but I have been able to get good results with a circular saw and since what I do is all low volume it doesn't make sense really for me. And it makes it even harder in a small space.

A fullsize contractor table saw in a medium sized space is definitely an asset. But I think its more important to get a 10" saw with a 30"+ rip fence which usually means you double the price. And I would think you end up needing an outfeed table for it too.

Depending on what table saws u have around you. Some you can put router table inserts in the whole of the adjustable table. I have a ridgid table with the folding stand and it's awesome .. The small stuff I like to use my radial arm chop saw.

2006 Dodge Ram 1500

Xs3400

1500BDCP

FI BL 12

3sq @ 32hz

Rockford t675

T400.2

Stinger Deadner

Build Log Here

0F60F538-E75F-4925-B6A5-25D61E70A8C1_zps

That was made only using a circular saw

You can cut using a router; I do it everyday; I have a Cnc so technically I cut with a router all the time, only difference is I use the computer to "hold" the router and I typically do multiple passes to cut through the 3/4, because the bits I use are typically to thin to cut all in one pass

SCSB

Santa Cruz Speaker Box

Build logs:

Daily Driver Lemon Marquis

2 american bass 750.1s

350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s

sq 945 on 4 hertz tweeters

Mystery subs peepwall.gif

http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

The Mustang 'dubbed' Shirley the project from bullet holes to badass

http://www.stevemead...cond-skin-time/

The problem with using a router table is it's slow and you'd almost certainly need to make multiple passes to cut through thicker mdf, which will reduce your cut accuracy. ALso consider trying to adjust your measuring and fence position according to a router bit could be tricky.

Hoenstly, the best and only real proper way is a table saw or a circular saw with a guide. Using a real table saw is a dream, especially if you are using a $3000 box saw.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

Archived