adding 8" sealed sub for midbass

the center console is not really an ideal place for mid bass. Plus, I'm not sure any 2 mid bass speakers will give you want you want when you have 16 speakers in your doors to keep up with.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

i understand its not ideal location but im not worried about that...if the whole midbass idea is a bad one, im just gonna add a single 8 or 2 6.5s and 2 tweets to the console...the reason it would be 4 total tweets would be because of the load on the amp...one set of 6.5s (or a single 8) on each channel, then each set of tweets on the other 2 channels...another option would be the 2 8s on one channel and 2 tweets on the other channel, if i went a 2channel instead of a 4...its really just an idea right now...if i dont do it, it really no big deal..just figured id try to use that space for something cool lol

personal build in progress

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188656-2013-kia-sorento-6-12-no-wall/

www.facebook.com/TurbulentDesigns

The whole thing is a bad idea...and your backup to the original is also a really bad idea.

And if you don't want to change anything in your doors, don't. And don't fuck around with your center console either.

If you want to blow money for no reason however I can send you my paypal information.

Midbass set up mono (single driver in the middle of the vehicle) is a terrible idea.

It will sound awful. Just saying ...

Pics of your setup would help. Most ways to produce better midbass is with better installation work. Not adding drivers ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

why is it a bad idea?

i understand its not ideal location but im not worried about that...if the whole midbass idea is a bad one, im just gonna add a single 8 or 2 6.5s and 2 tweets to the console...the reason it would be 4 total tweets would be because of the load on the amp...one set of 6.5s (or a single 8) on each channel, then each set of tweets on the other 2 channels...another option would be the 2 8s on one channel and 2 tweets on the other channel, if i went a 2channel instead of a 4...its really just an idea right now...if i dont do it, it really no big deal..just figured id try to use that space for something cool lol

I am taking a guess but I think you don't understand whats going on in your car.

Look up a couple things, crossover frequency and where things like the human voice, drums, horns, guitars fall and also beaming. Also look up time alignment and what it entails. Then when you are done researching that looking up cancellation. Then research proper enclosures for a front stage in a car, infinite baffle or sealed or venting to the outside. Last but not least look up driver spacing, most of the time it will tell you something like for a coherent image (sound imaging) you will want, dependent on crossover frequency the tweeter and the woofer to be as close together as possible, if you crossover at a high frequency things become a little less directional.

My guess is most people are going to want their mids and highs coming from the front of the car. Unless you have some amazing processing going on you are going to have issues with a midbass in the middle of the car.

Focus on better drivers, enclosure and alignment/placement for your front stage and that will do wonders in making things sound better and getting the output you want out of it.

Its not a more is better approach on this one. A compression tweeter or even a normal tweeter has a db rating of probably 105db AT 1 METER @ probably 1 watt....and you're 6 inches away from it. And your mids I would guess are like 89-90 db @ 1 meter @ 1 watt...so....you should have plenty of output with say a 1 tweet and 2 6.5 mids. If you don't I bet it has something to with your install/crossover points/amp....theres a multitude of things. Also in order to get 3 db more output you have to DOUBLE your power then you run into the thermal limit of the driver, a more efficient driver = less power need to drive it to its highest rated output, less power to get the same output.

but all of this is to say...a 8" midbass in the middle of the car is not a good idea. Focus on the right thing first and then move from there. And don't spend money until you have a real goal in mind.

Q: "i want more midbass"

A: look up on youtube and see if you can find a guy whose username was/is takedown504. You are using his logic for output.

I'm well aware of everything going on inside the car..however I've never added a 8" sub as midbass, therefore I'm asking why u think its a bad idea..adding a 8" midrange to each side will do zero harm

personal build in progress

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188656-2013-kia-sorento-6-12-no-wall/

www.facebook.com/TurbulentDesigns

First thing sir, you really need to learn the difference between a midrange driver, a midbass driver, and a sub bass driver.

Most people get confused when they use the term "mids and highs"

Just saying.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

You can use an 8" sub for midbass (if it has the parameters and is crossed right), but mounting it in the middle is a fuck up. Midbass is stereo (left and right), it won't sound good if those signals are in the middle when the're supposed to be out wide like your midrange and tweeters.

How many people are you going to argue with? Get rid of some of your door speakers and add a midbass there. If you don't want to redo your doors, don't know how we can help. Not like you're listening anyway.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Archived