Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Anything in op's price range is going to have around 100,000 miles or more on it.

When something is well taken care of that kind of mileage is nothing.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Posted

Gckless,

You will not be disappointed with the 3 Series. It's their best selling class. I'd stay away from the earlier 5 and 7 Series. I've done all the maintenance since 2010 when I bought it. The car is full of sensors, and it's a headache when the sensor goes off and you have to fix it. But looking back over the past 5 yrs it has been "the most RELIABLE car" I have ever owned!

The big cost of these cars are not the motors or transmissions, it's what's around it. Suspension, wheel bearings, tires, oil changes, radiators, cabin filters, air filters, rear break light housings, etc. All of these have a proven life expectancy of 50-60K miles period. Do not try and drive the car with an expired part! I learned the hard way. Most people with German cars for the most part pamper them.....like people that own ZO6's (I know BigHoss is smiling for the honorable mention). I was scared to buy it at first, but man she still has the original paint on her. She has surpassed my expectations. American cars vs. German cars. They just do not compare. The failure rate for engine and transmissions are very low compared to the American counter part. I can't sell the 328 because she still runs so well. Why have a payment just yet?

Think of it this way, if you are concerned about a monthly payment, say $300 being the limit a 3 Series, which gives you 26mph highway, or a $250 payment for an american car with limited options and an 20 something high mpg, you're not really saving much, what you save it wasted in gas money. 3 Series come standard with leather, sunroof, better car management "the sensors". Try that with the American counter part. These cars are known to run to >250,000 mi. Can you say that about most american cars? Most that do are on their last legs! lol.

Another tid bit of info on parts. Parts and prices. There is no real difference in prices. It's the labor that gets you. I need to replace the pass. rear wheel bearing very soon. I replaced it 50k miles ago (see what I mean) the bearing is $40, and the hub is $55. So $95.00, but labor is $700 at a mom and pop shop. Double at the dealer. I can do it in my garage for free. If you can use a 5lb slide hammer, you can do it!

Anyway, do not be scared to by German! Preferably Bimmer.

-Frank

Posted

Were at 3 pages, now at 2. Wut?

I don't know that I need an SS. Would be great, but traveling to Houston and losing warranty possibilities aren't worth that I think.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

Posted

Gckless,

You will not be disappointed with the 3 Series. It's their best selling class. I'd stay away from the earlier 5 and 7 Series. I've done all the maintenance since 2010 when I bought it. The car is full of sensors, and it's a headache when the sensor goes off and you have to fix it. But looking back over the past 5 yrs it has been "the most RELIABLE car" I have ever owned!

The big cost of these cars are not the motors or transmissions, it's what's around it. Suspension, wheel bearings, tires, oil changes, radiators, cabin filters, air filters, rear break light housings, etc. All of these have a proven life expectancy of 50-60K miles period. Do not try and drive the car with an expired part! I learned the hard way. Most people with German cars for the most part pamper them.....like people that own ZO6's (I know BigHoss is smiling for the honorable mention). I was scared to buy it at first, but man she still has the original paint on her. She has surpassed my expectations. American cars vs. German cars. They just do not compare. The failure rate for engine and transmissions are very low compared to the American counter part. I can't sell the 328 because she still runs so well. Why have a payment just yet?

Think of it this way, if you are concerned about a monthly payment, say $300 being the limit a 3 Series, which gives you 26mph highway, or a $250 payment for an american car with limited options and an 20 something high mpg, you're not really saving much, what you save it wasted in gas money. 3 Series come standard with leather, sunroof, better car management "the sensors". Try that with the American counter part. These cars are known to run to >250,000 mi. Can you say that about most american cars. Most that do are on their last legs! lol.

Another tid bit of info on parts. Parts and prices. There is no real difference in prices. It's the labor that gets you. I need to replace the pass. rear wheel bearing very soon. I replaced it 50k miles ago (see what I mean) the bearing is $40, and the hub is $55. So $95.00, but labor is $700 at a mom and pop shop. Double at the dealer. I can do it in my garage for free. If you can use a 5lb slide hammer, you can do it!

Anyway, do not be scared to by German! Preferably Bimmer.

-Frank

So everything I have seen says the BMWs are cheaper during the first 4-5 years than most vehicles, but shoot up to damn near the most expensive to maintain after that. I'm trying to make it work, but I'm scared. I'm looking at 2006-07 330i and 328i's with around 100k miles on them. Maintenance won't be cheap I think.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

Posted

These reports are based on 3rd party repairs. These reports can be misleading. Info is provided to those who are in the market for a car and willing to pay someone to repair it. The cost goes down considerably when you do it yourself!

It's all in the labor. I about lost it when the mom and pop shop in the South Bronx said "$700". I asked for both rear wheel bearings?". "No just one side labor!". I paid close to $386 in parts and tools to do it myself.

Here is the pic taken from my FB in March 5,2012

bimmeraxle2_zpsxqtzz2r0.jpg

And Feb, 11,2013 doing the driver's side. The axle was seized.

bimmeraxle_zpssmiwp8sj.jpg

A used half shaft cost me $60.00 shipped off ebay coming out of Naples FL. I had to bust the axle out of the bearing! Still did not cost me $700 or $1400 like customer reports "says" it costs. See what I mean??

American auto repair shops out number German auto repair shops period. lol.

Remember, I'm an ER Nurse, not a mechanic by any means. Don't be afraid if you can fix it yourself!

-Frank

Posted

Oh, and by the way, this bearing fits several american cars as well! If you price it out for a Pontiac, the same bearing is a few dollars cheaper. go figure. lol.

-Frank

Posted

i had that issue last week when buying an ignition coil for my bike.. oem cost me $136 for one.. i took the stock one off and seen a Mitsubishi logo so i thought someone had replaced it before.. checked online and found a coil for half the price. i look into it and has the same mitsubishi logo. do more digging and both companies have the same factory doing it for them. they even have the same part number.. only difference is the box that says yamaha cost double the price

Posted

Picked this up this low mileage 2009 for 11 last weekend to replace my 2005 that insurance totaled due to a hail storm and a suicidal deer on the same road trip/vacation.

Last year of this bodystyle which I wanted.

Took a while to find this color with low miles, cloth int, standard trans, with moonroof, in good condition, but it was worth the wait :)

E9C48EFE-5E3D-499E-BCE4-4B1092C12FCB_zps

D486FB22-07E1-43E9-BEE2-445ADDD729A7_zps

Going to have fun putting some MS3 parts on it :)

D9E79EC0-2538-4D61-BB1E-9778E0AD298F_zps

I hate long signatures....

...what the fuck is wrong wiht you you fucking fuckity fuck fuck head...

Mtnbikecrazy55 Feedback

Posted

That Mazda is pretty nice.

I'm trying to make a bimmer work, but I'm a little scared. There are a couple 330i and 530i's around here, 2004-2008, both with around 100k miles, give or take 10k. From what I've read, the DIY maintenance costs are higher on the e90s than the e46. Haven't seen much about the e60.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 715 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...