Sonic Electronix

i would think that for high output systems positioned woofer+port towards the trunk, there would be pressure on the front of the cone as well as the back and by suddenly opening the trunk your eliminating that pressure and COULD cause the drivers to mechanically fail IF the amount of pressure they were seeing moments ago was just enough to support the cone. In daily driver setups where xmax is not being reached with the trunk open i dont see how it would be an issue at all.

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

When you open the trunk you do "unload" them.... I highly doubt it will blow just makes it sound like ass imo

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Sub Amp:American Bass VFL 500.1

Subs: 4 Fi BL 18's

Enclosure:21.5 Cubic foot flat wall tuned to 40 hz

Batteries: 3 Kinetik 2400's in the back, Kinetik 1200 under hood.

Mids & Highs: 4 Kicker DS 6.5 coax in doors, 2 Kicker DS coax in pillars

Highs Amp: Kicker kx250.2, kx100.2

Wire: 4 Runs 1/0 gauge Knukonceptz

I think that type of thinking has to do with more full on SPL vehicles.

I don't believe there is to much to worry about with daily drivers.

Now if you were in the middle of a full on burp and did that there is a chance that the subs could go into over excursion. and thats bad really,really bad,MM,MM.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

i would say this is a theory thought up by someone

if u have the port in the trunk then it could take away back pressure on the subs causing over excursion. but if u design the box right u should be fine.

if the port isnt in the trunk then it doesnt even remotly matter

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

Haven't seen to many boxes in an extreme class vehicle that I have worked with.

The 2 I have experience with both used the back half of the vehicle as the box and both used lenghts of 15 inch diameter PVC pipe to mount the subs to.

One would do 164 with 2 15s and the other would do 173 with 6 15s.

I do feel if we would have burped the vehicle that was doing 173 DB at full tilt balls to the wall and was actually able to open a door I'm pretty sure there would have been a mechanical failure somewhere.

6000 watts per sub back then was kinda a big deal. and 12,000 whats per sub is a big deal too.

I can see where a problem could happen.

I don't feel there would be any problems in daily drivers.

DB drag extreme class vehicles i feel there is a potential for problems.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

i used to run my subs full volume and open the trunk all the time to show people it was just two shitty 12's. it had zero effect on the subs.

idk maybe i'm crazy but i think it could be partially true and depends on the box. i have two fi 12's in prefab box that was way too small and they sounded good as long as the trunk was closed when i opened it the speakers would bottom out. not to the point of blowing, but close. then i built a box to specs and 33hz tuning and opened the trunk full tilt and no prob. so maybe the smaller the box the more dependent the woofers are on the trunk as part of the enclosure. or am i thinking too much? :wacko:

I think the main thing with the trunk being open is that the subs dont have anything to load off of

yeah...i have an SUV with subs up, port back, and i was at a show/comp showing a few people from here...and they opened the back (didnt think about it, but shoulda just opened the back window instead of the hatch) and they didnt have the hatch to load off of. amps went into protect. subs were fine tho, but it sounded kinda funny lol.

i haven't had a problem yet i was just wondering if it was true. i hear so many different things. maybe one of the guys on youtube who like to destroy subs for no reason will try it and let us know

REST IN PARADISE BIG RICH (Sqmonte) never forgotten

Why do you guys ALWAYS dispute on NUMBERS?????

It's such a played out argument, so fucking annoying....

It's 12 fuckin 15's.... It's louder than you... Shut the fuck up...

/Rant

:)

I'm so jealous, it makes me want to club baby seals. That shit gets down HARD!

dont buy from knowledge he will scam you.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/30995-official-knowledge-feedback/

Archived