Second Skin Audio

Back Panel Removal Vs. Vehicle Integrity

Lakeshow94

I've been told removing some of the metal from the rear deck to allow for more bass to pass into the cabin can reduce the structural integrity of a vehicle. Does anyone have an opinion on this? I'm in a gs300 and the car seems far too quiet to be pushing 3k to a few meso 12s. Trying to find a way to make it louder without removing the back seats (bolt in, not fold down).

1999 Lexus GS 300

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Singer 240 Amp (Will be installed later)

Northstar Group 31 & 24

Sundown SCV-4000

Rockford T400-4

2 12" CT Sound Meso

CT Sounds 6.5 Meso Components

CT Sounds Tropo 6.5

Of course removing metal will have an effect on structural integrity that shouldn't even be a question really.

The question is do you care or not?

you could also reinforce it if you were really worried about it.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I'm just curious if it would be something very noticeable. Or would it only be an issue in the event of an accident? Is there something you would recommend to reinforce it with? I saw one thread about using plywood/mdf as an additional panel, although I doubt it would fit under the factory panel.

1999 Lexus GS 300

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Northstar Group 31 & 24

Sundown SCV-4000

Rockford T400-4

2 12" CT Sound Meso

CT Sounds Tropo 6.5

Really depends on how much metal you remove. You could easily get away with say a pair of 6" round holes in the rear deck. If you want to cut out a huge section, I'd suggest adding in some metal support

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

this is my current rear deck 250" square inches of area. ive been fine and this is a 150 db car at 35 hertz. the only think i did reinforce was towards the back of the deck i added a 2x4 to filling the gap bewtween the deack and the box and i attacatch it with screws to bolt down to the box

*20150830_112435_zps2qqo9gwj.jpg

I'll have to try something like that. My other idea was to cut out the section of the back seat where the cup holder comes down (in the middle of the two seats). Thanks for the ideas though, I'll use these going forward.

1999 Lexus GS 300

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Northstar Group 31 & 24

Sundown SCV-4000

Rockford T400-4

2 12" CT Sound Meso

CT Sounds Tropo 6.5

if i was to guess, I would say you could remove quite a bit and not notice a single problem... then one day get hit and you could be in for a world of hurt..... rule of thumb is if you have to ask if something is safe it probably is not.... cars like this just need a 4th ported through the package tray... lol

if the metal was meant to be a brace its not going to be paper thin. the two main braces in the back dash are the braces that support the upper seat back, and the the secondary brace where the rear window meets the trunk lid. Some cars such as hondas have a brace that ties the two together directly in the middle. rule of thumb if you can make it flex by pushing on it with your thumb, its not doing much of anything except preventing your rear package tray from sagging.

DB DRAG PSYCHLONE PRO 156.3 30 SECOND AVERAGE FO MAX AT 26HZ

LEGAL DASH DRIVER DOOR OPEN 158.0@30 HZ

MY BEST SO FAR, HOPEFULLY A 160 COME FEBUARY.

156.9@26hz  158.0@30hz

Archived