I'm surprised no one has mentioned damping factor

I'm surprised no one has mentioned damping factor

I'm aware of that factor, but I don't know how to describe it, or know how the HV affects it. Can you elaborate?

165db with 237 DC Volts

6 15" SSA Evils

3 HV Taramps T60k @.33

18 XS Power D3400s

Add me on SC, FB, IG, and YT @ Sencheezy

so can yo do the math again to see how it comapres financially to running a 12 volt system? not sure what ya clamped out of it thoguht i saw 12k or so?

high voltage would be cool i like the idea of everything running cooler

Kenwood excelon ddx795

3 370 amp CES alternators (audio side only)           
       McLaren dome tweeters                                   Crescendo 6.5 ultra neos 
                                                 NVX JAD800.4
                                            4 PA x4 SPL 18's
                     4 Digital Designs m5's at .7 ohms each
        2 K2 80 ah lithiums

3 group 31 agms                                       Ledglow million color (12 piece)

2007 Yukon xl

I still don't see how power generated from a high voltage vs low voltage battery bank "sounds" any different through your subs.

You say you are wired to .5 rising to 2 ohm so you still have the same voltage and current going to your subs as you would if you had a Korean 10k wired to .5 and rising to 2 ohms (assuming equal power)...

I think the advantage you are hearing is the stability of the power supply voltage. I bet this sounds similar to a 12v system with a large cap bank to stabilize supply voltage.

Team NorthWestSPL

We would need to compare the voltage and amperage of the amplifier output of a 12v system vs a high voltage system. The fact that the subs run cooler says that the voltage is up and current is down. There must be some way to quantify how the HV system sounds but I don't know what it would be other than to hear it in person. Where is your next demo?

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

i can see how everything would run cooler and sound better.

Back when I was doing electrical work, the efficiency level of say a 5hp compressor motor that's 110/230.... Having it wired at 110, it can pull over 40 amps of current. At 230v, it will pull about 20 amps. At 230v, it runs sooo much cooler, starts so much easier(at startup, on 110 it could pull like 50 amps, at 230 it would pull about 25). Makes the exact same amount of power, and was cheaper to install since one would just have to run #12 or 10 to it instead of #8 or 6, all dependent upon length of the run.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

I still don't see how power generated from a high voltage vs low voltage battery bank "sounds" any different through your subs.

You say you are wired to .5 rising to 2 ohm so you still have the same voltage and current going to your subs as you would if you had a Korean 10k wired to .5 and rising to 2 ohms (assuming equal power)...

I think the advantage you are hearing is the stability of the power supply voltage. I bet this sounds similar to a 12v system with a large cap bank to stabilize supply voltage.

Yeah, I'm not sure where the difference in sound is coming from. I've used both Taramps and Korean 12v large systems. But sound the same in aspect to the sound of HV.

We would need to compare the voltage and amperage of the amplifier output of a 12v system vs a high voltage system. The fact that the subs run cooler says that the voltage is up and current is down. There must be some way to quantify how the HV system sounds but I don't know what it would be other than to hear it in person. Where is your next demo?

Yeah, more testing will be needed.

How about we break it down this way. Because this is all still new to me as well. I'm very much in the same boat as you guys are when analyzing this HV stuff.

So let's look at what we do know. Can someone come up with a short sketch, of what it will take to run a clean 10krms at 12v at 2 ohms? We will compare that, to what I have currently. Which is a clean 10krms at 2 ohms but at 230v.

We need to compare the cost, the longevity, etc. To which makes more sense. Now obviously there will be a milion different variables. But if we're just looking at equipment alone, for a fair comparison, I think the results will be interesting.

165db with 237 DC Volts

6 15" SSA Evils

3 HV Taramps T60k @.33

18 XS Power D3400s

• 2 weeks later...

Status update on the High Voltage setup. I am currently resting at 205 DCVolts. The battery bank has not had a charge in 67 days and I have been daily listening for 18 of those days. 205 puts me at 11.38 each battery, which is not recommended as it will shorten the life span. But I am doing this so everyone can monitor and see how it's coping with a real life example of High Voltage Daily. As far as output is concerned, well it really hasn't changed, even though I know there is loss in wattage. I believe everyone who got a demo this past weeknd could attest to that. So far, I will hold my previous statement about never going back to 12v. It has been really fun So far testing High Voltage. Please stay tuned for more updates![/size]

IMG_20160524_132155_zpsjwcicpki.jpg

165db with 237 DC Volts

6 15" SSA Evils

3 HV Taramps T60k @.33

18 XS Power D3400s

Hey guys! Another weekend meaning another update! This weekend I posted my highest score to date with a 163 with 16,900 watts clamped! Staring resistance was .117 rising to .29. Starting voltage was 214 and dropped to low 190s / high 180s. This same amp was clamped starting at 230 and made 39k dropping to 200v. So this amp def has some power to it. I am brainstorming a way to to keep voltage up during a full tilt burp. For this score, my battery bank was charged only 30%. I am currently daily at .117, which I can go full tilt with anything below what seems 40hz, anything above that, and full tilt will make the amp go into protect.

FB_IMG_1464725694159_zpseshwuwqa.jpg

FB_IMG_1464719095089_zpsdqunjlcx.jpg

FB_IMG_1464719102548_zpso0a9hfdv.jpg

FB_IMG_1464719091361_zpscdagxtea.jpg

I made a shitty youtube video of some of the footage I found over facebook.

165db with 237 DC Volts

6 15" SSA Evils

3 HV Taramps T60k @.33

18 XS Power D3400s

Archived