Second Skin Audio

Cabin gain and generated response curve

Ive been playing around with win isd pro and reading about cabin gain, but i dont have a way to measure cabin gain so maybe someone with some experience can shed some light. I am building a box going in a crew cab pickup and im ball parking the cabin resonace to be in 55-60hz range maybe higher. How does this effect my box strategy (assuming my cabin gain guess is kind of right). Also should i aim for as flat of a response curve for cleanest sound? And how many db curve is it very noticeable audibly?

I'd bet your cabin gain starts a bit higher than 60 Hz, probably more like 70 Hz. You can ROUGHLY approximate cabin gain in WinISD by adding a filter like this:

tvpYzfY.jpg

For your case I'd substitute 70 Hz for where it says 60 Hz.

As far as what kind of frequency response curve you want, its really a matter of personal tastes. Different curves aren't cleaner than others, they are just different. Most people do not like a flat response, especially us basshead types like a rising low end response. I hate boomy, peaky bass, but I do like a gradually rising response of about 3 db from 60 to 30 Hz. That's just me though.

If you really want to dial in what kind of frequency response you like the best thing to do is spend $100 and get a miniDSP or something similar. Then design your box with a bit more low end boost than you think you would like (ie make the box a bit on the bigger side), you can then use the miniDSP to dial down the low end boost until you get what you want. The reason you design the box to have more low end boost than you think you will want it is because its really easy and effective to turn things down with DSP, but its very hard to effectively turn things up.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Ive been playing around with win isd pro and reading about cabin gain, but i dont have a way to measure cabin gain so maybe someone with some experience can shed some light. I am building a box going in a crew cab pickup and im ball parking the cabin resonace to be in 55-60hz range maybe higher. How does this effect my box strategy (assuming my cabin gain guess is kind of right). Also should i aim for as flat of a response curve for cleanest sound? And how many db curve is it very noticeable audibly?

Flattest cleanest response is likely going to come from a sealed box, to keep things efficient you may want to go with a larger diameter sub which can make up for the lower efficiency of sealed, here is a Sundown SA-12 in a about 0.9 cubic feet box with (an average vehicle) cabin gain applied:

sa12sealed.jpg

Here's group delay:

sa12sealed_GD.jpg

From there you can try to EQ out any noticeable peaks you may find.

I feel like such a noob in threads like these, i basically understand the just of it but then again I really don't...trying to learn but so much is STILL over my head. :shrug:

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Everybody is going to have a different threshold. Anything above about 5 db and I notice it. Some people can probably tell if there is any at all.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

i think a lot of people just like having that much of a boosted low end. To each their own.

Builds:

Archived