Dangers with going "too big" on Big 3?

Just got my mechman 240 in the other day. Im about to order some ofc power wires. Im wondering if there is any down side to using 4/0 awg wire right now for my big 3-4. I know 1/0awg seems to be the norm for a good upgrade. But then i see some people say to run multiple runs of 1/0. Im sure i wont need more than 1/0 in the near future, BUT i do like having the ability to upgrade if i wanted to, without having to re-run more power wires. I figure i could just run all 4/0 now, on the big3-4. Then have a distrubution block setup also so whenever i need more power i can just easily tap into that distrubution block. Im just wondering if there are any cautions to using over sized wire BEFORE its even needed.

Also, how does the wire sizes break down when distributing power. Like if u have a single 1/0 input to a power block, can u run two 1/0 output from that power block, or even three out puts of 1/0? If not, how many 4awg outputs can come from a single 1/0 input power block? Thanks everyone, I appreciate yall passin on the knowledge to noobs like me.

A big 4 with 4/0 won't hurt anything. With only a 240a alt it's not needed on the alt. But if you already have it for other things then you might as well. 4/0 is a pita to run and get in tight places because it is so fat. It might be hard to get behind the alt. Some vehicles don't have much clearance there.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

A big 4 with 4/0 won't hurt anything. With only a 240a alt it's not needed on the alt. But if you already have it for other things then you might as well. 4/0 is a pita to run and get in tight places because it is so fat. It might be hard to get behind the alt. Some vehicles don't have much clearance there.

Very good point, ill check that before i order the wire. I prefer overkill techniques. Crappy thing too is that my cars battery is in the trunk, the positive to alt is gonna be a pita. Thats another reason i was thinking of doing 4/0 cuz the run from batt to alt is so long.

It's cheaper to do multiple runs of 1/0,

Fuse holders for big ass wires are not cheap at all, nor are distribution blocks, or lugs, or anything else that goes along with it.

Aren't you doing an Sq build?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Also, it's not a crappy thing that the battery is in the trunk,

It's actually beneficial to have the battery closer to the amps.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

It's cheaper to do multiple runs of 1/0,

Fuse holders for big ass wires are not cheap at all, nor are distribution blocks, or lugs, or anything else that goes along with it.

Aren't you doing an Sq build?

Thats a good point, i didnt even look for a 4/0 block yet. But i was planning on going with knukoncepts kolossis. I only seen terminals in 4/0 if i remember correctly, all their blocks only went up to 1/0. Can you reccomend a site where i could check prices on 4/0 blocks and fuseholders? If its outrageous ill look more into maybe just 2runs 1/0.

Archived