Solderless connection/connectors=SQ?

06RTCharger

I appologize for all the questions i ask lol. Are solderless connections/connectors (plug&receptacle) better for retaining the most of the original signal? Does the resistance of solder on a connection degrade the signal, even just a lil? If so, what are the best solderless techniques/items to use, to help keep a signal close to original as possible?

Reason im asking this is becuase i just got my p99rs in today, two days early :) and im reading through the papers in the p99 box and the warning paper has a part that says "Ensure that the power cord, the ground wire and the speaker are all properly connected. We recommend that you use a plug and a receptacle, solderless contact and a Y connector." And theres an illustration that looks something like banana plugs and butt connectors/crimp connectors. Is that route better? I was thinking id solder and heat shrink all my connections, tryna be professional lol, whats the real deal? What type of connetions do the ,SQ guys use? I seen gold plated banana plugs, but being just "plated" wont do much if the core isnt gold, just gimmicks? Sorry again for so many questions, thanks for all the helpful and humble advice, very much appreciated.

Solder can add some resistance but not enough that it will make any notable difference. I prefer solder, it's one connection point, with crimped connectors you have three connections(wire to connector A, wire to connector B, connector A to B ), and three potential failure points. If one of those crimps is bad or one of the connectors (which are designed to come apart) get loose you will also have added resistance. I have seen many melted crimp connectors, I've never seen that type of failure with solder.

When we compete Sound Quality competition, we generally build our vehicles to the Organization specs for maximum points.

With that being said ... if you plan to compete in Sound Quality competition, you need to down load their rules and follow them .

If you don't plan to compete, I'd suggest following the head unit specific instructions for maximum performance.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

You have a tendency to way over think things.

If you're worried about the resistance some solder might add then you should be equally as worried about the resistance a bunch of connectors would add.

Fact of the matter is neither is going to have an impact on the sound unless you did a horrible job using either method.

That being said, if you don't have good solder skills it will be easier for you to crimp them and get good results.

A proper crimp is better than a bad solder job.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I solder all my small wire connections and crimp all my large wire connections, if you have ever tried to deal with 20 wires that have crimp joints crammed into a small space, you'll understand how much easier it is to control your wire management soldering and shrink wrapping the wire.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

I have yet to see a soldered connection not be better than a solderless connection for signal integrity with any circuits or systems in my lab.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

When we compete Sound Quality competition, we generally build our vehicles to the Organization specs for maximum points.

With that being said ... if you plan to compete in Sound Quality competition, you need to down load their rules and follow them .

If you don't plan to compete, I'd suggest following the head unit specific instructions for maximum performance.

Wow, the competition will check ur connections for ur score also? I dont plan to compete, im not even sure if competitions occur here on this island. So i take it that the SQ comps want u to solder, becuase that shows better build skills with the install? But you agree plug&receptacle connectors will give maximum output with this headunit, over soldered connections? Assuming both soldered and solderless methods were done with perfection.

You have a tendency to way over think things.

If you're worried about the resistance some solder might add then you should be equally as worried about the resistance a bunch of connectors would add.

Fact of the matter is neither is going to have an impact on the sound unless you did a horrible job using either method.

That being said, if you don't have good solder skills it will be easier for you to crimp them and get good results.

A proper crimp is better than a bad solder job.

Perfectionist habits are my gift and my curse, i know lol. Im worried about all issues i come across, and its stressful. I dont mind spending the time to work things out till i can get as close to perfection as i can. In the final outcome of my install, knowing i covered as much of the issues as I could will be very satisfying mentally lol. Even if its not issues i can actually sense with my human senses, the fact the issue is there bothers my mind and ill try to improve the issue if i can whenever possible. Anyways, whats ur take on Perfectly crimped solderless connections VS perfectly soldered (maybe using solder with %4 silver) connections, for signal integrity?

I solder all my small wire connections and crimp all my large wire connections, if you have ever tried to deal with 20 wires that have crimp joints crammed into a small space, you'll understand how much easier it is to control your wire management soldering and shrink wrapping the wire.

I agree fully, solder&shrink tubed connections look WAYYY cleaner than a bundle of bulky connectors, but im just concered about the resistance and if there are better ways to avoid the resistance. Specially because it'll be hidden, if it was something visable id probably have different concerns.

Archived