Sonic Electronix

Cracked basket, should I use CA Glue? Not bother?

Hey all,

Like the title says, I seem to have some small cracks on my sub basket. Should I use some CA glue to seal them up? Or leave em alone?

Subs are Sundown Zv3's and one of the subs has like 3 little cracks spread out. The basket doesn't move at all and haven't installed them so not sure if it would even be something to worry about. But has anyone experienced this before? Will it not affect performance so don't even bother putting any glue/sealer?

aS7y2ow.jpg?2

tmqGUWQ.jpg?2

kLDnOFr.jpg?2

WOwkACU.jpg?2

I'm just afraid that it could get worse overtime as I'll be throwing 4K watts to a pair of em so don't wanna hurt the subs.

Thanks!

Team Bass-Hz

That basket is most likely cast aluminum, glue won't do a damn thing to hold it together. TIG welding MIGHT hold up, but chances are your basket(s) are toast and you need to replace them.

With those cracks the angle of the voice coil to the magnet is no longer perpendicular, and overtime it's going to get worse. Eventually you'll start rubbing coil. How long have you had these speakers?

If I remember correctly I have seen panel bond used with a peice of metal across the broken section. Fickling did it in the van like 2yrs ago before finals

Baskets are indeed die casted,

Glue wont hold unless you sanded both sides and used an eboxy.

If you go that far your already needing to recone so you might as well get a new basket.

Just play it until its junk, and at that point worry about buying a new basket and a recone.
There are still 5 other bolts holding the basket to the magnet

If these subs are being mounted vertically, make sure the cracked side is facing down, it will be less stress on it then.

If the sub is brand new warranty will cover this.

But I doubt that is the case since Sundown hasnt used a 12spoke basket in so long now since they are literally the weakest baskets on the market, and that is why they designed their own.

Cool thanks for the advice guys. These are yard sale subs so yea they've been around for a while. But super good deal and I've always been a fan of the Z series so couldn't pass on them. Plus the cones still feel pretty solid so it feels like they got plenty life before they go, just the basket that's cracked.

I'll def think about sanding it down and using some JB Weld to tighten up the joints. And they will be mounted horizontally so maybe I'll make like little wooden stubs to hold the subs straight and put less pressure on all the joints.

Team Bass-Hz

Dont think a bracket would be necessary but probably wouldn't hurt.

Just make sure the cracked spot of the basket is facing down (regardless of which way the logo on the dustcap is).

This way the weight of the motor would be pushing the cracked pieces together, instead of away from each other if the crack was facing up.

You will really need to sand/scuff the basket up good.

Something really coarse like a 50grit sand paper to give the jb weld to bond too, the rougher the better.

Just don't get any junk in your motor.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Archived