DSP for dummies

Karkov

I am looking to dabble into the DSP part of car audio to get my set up sounding as it should. I am a super noob when it comes to this so i am looking for a DSP that has easy to understand software. My EQ on my HU ain't cutting it anymore. I have tried lots of speakers of the years years and without the proper EQ'ing I can't get things loud and clear. I have had to choose one or the other and it sucks.

I want something a dummy like me can figure out, get my feet wet with this type of thing.

What I am looking for, something I can see my crossover points in real time? and something I can see a line and adjust accordingly, some pictures for example purposes only, ignore brands and exact details of pics/colors.

ohm_spyder_04_zpsutl89rtx.jpg

Crossover_zps5l4jjw4e.jpg

Most of all i want something where I can see in real time where my peaks and valley's are and adjust accordingly. I am not looking for anything with time alignment etc. since I just want loud and clear since my speakers aren't placed for SQ and I have a large substage. I just want things to sound "proper" and be set up "efficiently" making the most of my money spent on the things I have if this makes any sense.

I will spend a couple/few hundred bucks if I have to, I just want one to start out with and learn on that I can figure out and understand and get the sound I want.

ana3_zps6qjzfo6d.gif

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

The dsp is not the solution but rather an addition, speaker choices and placement dictate how good and well it sounds, now that is just an overly dramatic simplification of the situation at hand. I would look at SQ quality speakers, and yes they do cost a lot but you do get what you pay for, and that is the quality of sound and the ability to put power to them, and still get very loud, and just like subs you do not want to distort or clip the shit out of them.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

I had the new 3 piece PPI offerings with the neo magnets, and i can tell you they fucking sucked balls, and i will never own another pair regardless of how many updated changes they make to them. I'm still a fan of older PPI subs and amps, just not the speakers being offered. Look into Hertz, Focal, Hybrid Audio, Blues, and others to get a truly good sounding speaker.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Thanks guys

Yes, the last decent speakers I had were the RF T3 in 2013 but I know there is better out there and should really invest in something

Broke, that's a little more than I'm wanting to spend but those look nice!

Well I definitely want to see where peaks and valley's are but not sure about RTA (need to look into it more) since this is a bass heavy set up I care very little about time alignment and sounding good, I just want things super loud but also clear. I think my HU has some kind of TA ability but not sure how much I would trust it.....

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

I'm thinking you'll need access to an RTA if you want to smooth out the peaks. Even with a large sub stage this is possible, as you don't need to run at full tilt while making measurements/adjustments.

If you have a laptop you can buy a calibrated mic, like the Dayton EMM-6 or UMM-6, download a copy of Room Eq Wizard, and basically have your own RTA for under $100.

Here's a CAF video that might help you out a bit as far as what to actually do with the RTA, and it shows you the Audio Control iPhone thing.

I'm thinking you'll need access to an RTA if you want to smooth out the peaks. Even with a large sub stage this is possible, as you don't need to run at full tilt while making measurements/adjustments.

If you have a laptop you can buy a calibrated mic, like the Dayton EMM-6 or UMM-6, download a copy of Room Eq Wizard, and basically have your own RTA for under $100.

Here's a CAF video that might help you out a bit as far as what to actually do with the RTA, and it shows you the Audio Control iPhone thing.

Thanks, and yea, I would totally turn off subs when tuning mids highs but I don't have a laptop. =/

I'll look into a few more thing yet

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Don't you already have a term lab bro?

We use ours for the Rta portion of psyclone. I thought you had a term lab!?! (Edit- shit, maybe you where talking to me about buying mine when I was selling it, I can't recal)

If you do, I'll send you the link for the mic you want and walk you through the software.

I'll tell you know, adjusting to flat sounds like garbage (to me anyway) for real music. But it can help show you where your lacking.

Wanna get deeper, pm me bud. I'm no sq guru, but I've had and ran around a dozen dsps, played with a Rta, still do on our magnum term pro, with mic, and compete in portions of Rta still. Number one in the nation this year at worlds, with Kenny as a matter of fuck. I'll help ya where I can bro.

Archived