Sundown Audio

What is gain overlap?

06RTCharger

7 minutes ago, 06RTCharger said:

This shit can snow ball quick lol specially when new to this stuff.

Lol, it definitely is. I keep changing what I want for the amp, and if I want to do an LC2i or LC7i in case I want a 4 channel in the future. This shit is definitely snowballing. Right now stuck on amplifiers again. I keep thinking I found one, then I change my mind again.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ALDJ253 said:

Lol, it definitely is. I keep changing what I want for the amp, and if I want to do an LC2i or LC7i in case I want a 4 channel in the future. This shit is definitely snowballing. Right now stuck on amplifiers again. I keep thinking I found one, then I change my mind again.

Lmao im in the same boat man, ive spent alot already and havent even started the build yet. 

33 minutes ago, 06RTCharger said:

Lmao im in the same boat man, ive spent alot already and havent even started the build yet. 

Lol, yeah, I feel it. I keep bouncing between a new Alphard Sounds Machete 1500, or the Alpine PDX-M12 used if I could snag one of Ebay, but so many bidders.

• 6 months later...
On 1/2/2017 at 0:25 PM, Kyblack76 said:

So, to open the "area"  or "window" of play, you use a over lap. I knew where the music i played was recorded at, (decaf, got160's, bigpimin and the like) and, i like a lil give also, so i used a custom -7.5 track that Chris (snowdrifter) made. I wanted a tick more than -5 gave, but no way the -10.

Do you mind sharing at what level is that music at?

Thanks in advance.

When I called D'Amore, Tony himself answered the phone and summed it up pretty quick for me.  A really clean track with a strong signal has 0dB overlap, meaning the signal will be reproduced as if you were hearing it live.

If you have a crappy, low quality track that seems to play at a lower volume (meaning you would want to turn the volume up more to hear it like you hear a clean, strong signal track), then the track may have a signal that is -5dB or -10dB below the 'clean' track mentioned above.  Therefore, by adjusting to a negative dB overlap, you are compensating the signal in an attempt to get the audible music to sound as if it was being heard live.

I know it is an oversimplified explanation, but before that, I had a hard time understand why the dB overlap values were negative.  The 'negative' is in reference to how much lower in quality a track is to a pure lossless track.

So if you set your dB overlap to 0dB and play a low quality track, it wont sound very loud.  If you set your overlap to -10dB, then when you play a high quality track, you would have to turn the volume down at the head unit since the signal will be too strong.

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

Yup, if you listen to different qualities of songs then whatever your overlap is set at will be right for some songs and wrong for others, I.E. quiet for some songs and sending distortion and/or clipping to others.  But if you get all your music from same place or way and you know it's all of same great quality you will be more safe setting overlap to a certain number.  The DD-1+ lets you set overlap in 0.1 increments.  Some people like to get the most they can out of they system so they just set to -7.5 or -10 and adjust volume accordingly....of only we all had a O-scope spitting a graph in our face with each song to watch waves and look for clipping/distortion.........

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

40 minutes ago, Karkov said:

Yup, if you listen to different qualities of songs then whatever your overlap is set at will be right for some songs and wrong for others, I.E. quiet for some songs and sending distortion and/or clipping to others.  But if you get all your music from same place or way and you know it's all of same great quality you will be more safe setting overlap to a certain number.  The DD-1+ lets you set overlap in 0.1 increments.  Some people like to get the most they can out of they system so they just set to -7.5 or -10 and adjust volume accordingly....of only we all had a O-scope spitting a graph in our face with each song to watch waves and look for clipping/distortion.........

For real. An SMD OM-2 of sorts. A spectrum analyzer with visual readout for 10-100Hz and settable distortion detector like in OM-1 would be AWESOME. @TonyD'Amore

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived