Sundown Audio

Amp Mounting, Heat, Vibration question.....

jimdog32526

I see some people mount their amps to the back of their sub cabinet. 

Is this a good idea?  Bad Idea? 

Will the vibration effect the amp? 

Can you use Vibration dampening feet between the amp and the box?

It sure would make installation alot simpler.

I will be getting a custom box made, so I can have him make anything.

I was thinking If I wanted, I could have him build a box for the amp on the back of the sub box, with a plexi window, maybe some LED's.

You could put down a thick layer of Rubber sheet mat between the amp BOX and the Sub BOX for Vibration dampening.

I could also put 2 12v Fans in the end of the box for ventilation.

Maybe get a Volt meter and mount it on there as well.

If the box is built correctly, then there shouldnt be any vibration to even worry about.

If there is indeed vibration though, it will kill your amp. Only time will tell how long itll take. 

People (myself included) use/have used rubber spacers as a precaution. However, it is commonly debated whether or not the spacers actually help. Now, I did notice a difference in cooling with the 1/2" spacers though :)

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

4 minutes ago, hdorre said:

If the box is built correctly, then there shouldnt be any vibration to even worry about.

If there is indeed vibration though, it will kill your amp. Only time will tell how long itll take. 

People (myself included) use/have used rubber spacers as a precaution. However, it is commonly debated whether or not the spacers actually help. Now, I did notice a difference in cooling with the 1/2" spacers though :)

Bingo...couldn't have said it any better.  i personally have never had and amp fail from being mounted on a box.

Id say depends how much u spent on ur amps. Are u willing to accept risking that money u paid for the amp. 

Also depends how crazy of a sub setup u have. Some guys got panels ratting off and screws and bolts coming loose lol, if ur subs can rattle off metal parts AROUND the vehicle....im sure it can rattle something lose in ur amp, being that its literally on the sub box.

It comes down to ur priorities. Conveince is always nice. Being less risky is nice also lol.

The other downside to mounting on the box, is that if someone steals your box then they get your amp too. I have my amps mounted on the side panel by the rear wheel well.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Ive also seen shit enclosures, that have a board mounted to them with "some rubber feet'. Thinking that will chew up the vibes.

If its shaking bad, all the mounts do is add leverage, and fuck it up more. 

"but, but, i had some rubber feet under it"..........  Solid enclosure, done right, will work. A turd, is a turd, and can be amplified. 

The Box is going to be built like a tank.  Im going to get Audiofanaticz to build it out of 1" Birch.  2 " Front Baffle, 2 1/2" Floor, 2 1/2" Rear.  I have an amp rack thread going in the forum here as Im working out the design.

Its not going anywhere either, Its going to be bolted down with 7/8" Bolts thru the frame of the truck thru a 1/4" Steel Plate inside the box.

Archived