Second Skin Audio

Can you still lay rock/metal on a box tuned to 32hz?

Wannabe

I understand it won't sound ideal because I have the box tuned for rap/low bass but if I were to play rock or metal on the setup could I damage anything?

this is my first build, i have been waiting 4-5 years to have this done

95 chevy 2 door tahoe 5.7

Xs power d3400

Singer 275amp alternator

Big 3 - all Knukonceptz Kolossus Fleks 0ga/ knu Fuses an holders

Sundown SAE-1500d

Mbquart onyx OA800.4

Stinger 4400 series RCAs and stinger volt meter

Fi Q NEO 18, 7.5 cubes tuned 32hz

Pioneer MVH-X690BS H/U

Kicker CSS 6.5 comp sets in front doors

Kicker KSC 4x10 coaxials in rear

GTMAT and FAT MAT deadner

Xenon 10k Blue HIDs

Will you damage anything? No. Will it not sound very good? Absolutely. Rock and metal usually play in a much higher frequency range than rap, which will be mostly outside the bandwidth of a box tuned to 32hz. However because most of it is short, snappy sounds it will actually put much less strain on the suspension/thermal capacities of the subwoofer and your electrical system.

I mean I onley listen to my rock when I workout and am sometimes with girlfriend but I was just curious if it would be bad for my set up to play, I listen to some metal that has quite a few deep bass notes 

thanks for the reply bud 

this is my first build, i have been waiting 4-5 years to have this done

95 chevy 2 door tahoe 5.7

Xs power d3400

Singer 275amp alternator

Big 3 - all Knukonceptz Kolossus Fleks 0ga/ knu Fuses an holders

Sundown SAE-1500d

Mbquart onyx OA800.4

Stinger 4400 series RCAs and stinger volt meter

Fi Q NEO 18, 7.5 cubes tuned 32hz

Pioneer MVH-X690BS H/U

Kicker CSS 6.5 comp sets in front doors

Kicker KSC 4x10 coaxials in rear

GTMAT and FAT MAT deadner

Xenon 10k Blue HIDs

I consider my system a failure if it can't play the double kick drum in Metallica One,  three dog night's One is the loneliest number and got160's turned down for what at like 24hz tuned to 32.
No issues with any of the above on 2 sp4 15's .
Should hurt anything as long as the track is clean gains are set properly. Play your rock/metal and enjoy

I'm tuned to 32 and I think the metal kick drum sounds awesome with my Mayhem 18. Especially on "And Justice For All"! The kick drum sound is not just coming out of the sub but the whole system. If you've ever turned off your mids and highs amp off during a song you'll know what I mean. The kick recording includes not just the heavy slam on the drum head in the 40-60 hz region but also the attack of the beater itself in the 4k and 7k regions and the resonance of the drum itself in the 250 hz region which many engineers have to eq out of the mix. Make sure the rest of your system can keep up with the sub.

Like others have said, you aren't going to hurt anything.  There is no reason low tuned boxes can't sound great for rock music either, but you have to consider more than just the tuning frequency.  I tuned my last box to 26 Hz because I wanted it sound good with rock music!

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

10 hours ago, Smoove said:

I consider my system a failure if it can't play the double kick drum in Metallica One

That's one of my go-to tracks when tuning a system also....lol.

2010 Accord Sedan

XS D3400R

Clarion HU

Sundown mids and highs

Incriminator amps

Incriminator Lethal Injection 12"

3 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

Like others have said, you aren't going to hurt anything.  There is no reason low tuned boxes can't sound great for rock music either, but you have to consider more than just the tuning frequency.  I tuned my last box to 26 Hz because I wanted it sound good with rock music!

Would you care to expand on "there is more than just the tuning frequency"? i know the mids will play a huge role in how rock will sound but any other considerations? all the boxes i have built so far are for people who like lots of bass and listen to rap. I personally like metal first then country then rap. i am planning a box but was considering sealed due to not knowing what to take into account for a ported box that is musical.

Archived