Lets Talk About Vintage Car Audio

I remember those days, back when my buddy was sponsored by Lanzar and was running 8 15's ran off of 2 Opti 50c's...Roger Bridges running a wall of Kickers then Strokers...shops like Audio Chamber, Sonic Excellence, and Henrys Auto Sound (who ran shows every month), I think growing up with it in So Cal was like no other. Bill from Audio Chamber with 12-15's and 12-10's, tv, vcr, drum machine, Lee with his yellow toyota w/handmade Testarosa vents, 8-15 & 8-10's. All bada$$ trucks were painted by Santini and interiors done by Pete at Westminister Auto Upholstry. It was amazing to see a truck do 150 db's then go and win sound quality also...everybody was doing demos, no locked up vehicles, all vehicles driven to show, all customed out, hell even the all chromed out trailer queens were driven many miles to shows...ahhhhhhh the good ol days

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Pioneer Mids & Highs

JL Audio 500/5

Hertz ES 300.5

SecondSkinAudi0

OPTIMA

Stinger

• 2 weeks later...

Built my first system in 1992in a 1989 S-10 with 2 old Lanzar LC12's running off of a Lanzar LZ600. I started selling and installing on the side various brands like Lanzar, M&M, Orion, MTX, Zapco, CDT, Alumapro, whatever I could get a hold of from prople I knew at these companies until I went into retailing just Zapco and Alumapro, Illusion Audio (Cary Christie II's fine product). I built boxes, big vented plexiglass monsters, walls, whatever people wanted and some for me. I had a great time with it and made a shitload of money just on boxes to say the least. I started a speaker company, SubSonix but due to the economy collapsing I can't afford to fund it at this time. It will be back when the money situation is better.

OK, off on a tangent that may or may not be in the right place but here it is because everyone who enjoys car audio knows it's true and needs to be said:

As for car audio being popular, it isn't near what it used to be. The magazines like CA&E, Auto Sound & Security, etc are no longer around, the shows are still out there but not anything like they once were. Competitions were spoiled by the bigbeaters that would come in with their $100,000+ systems that would just burp and not play music. Systems that played actual music were sidelined. Competition went from being fun to being money based pissing contest. Many people, myself included, fled the competition scene in droves because of what the scene was turning into.

People now, especially now with the economy in the shitter aren't spending the money on big systems like they used to. There is a small percentage that does so but they are the only reason this industry is still alive. Also, the car makers (GM) are trying to eliminate this industry so their branded vehicles cannot be modified. GM did away with the radio delete option and now few dealers are able to install anything in one of these vehicles without running the risk of damaging something else and wrecking the warranty. I am on the inside of the 12 volt industry and I know many people trying to get the automotive industry to work with ours but so far the response, especially from GM, is not encouraging to say the least.

What we need to do is take competition back to what it was 15-20 years ago. Local dealers need to hold shows to increase their exposure and get people motivated again. I as in insider know that this industry is not going to be revived from the top down. It has to come from the people who buy the equipment. They need to ask dealers for shows to get their product in the public eye. The dealers will see increased sales and the industry will come back to what it should be.

This is such the truth, I do remember every product from the mid to late 80's, have every car audio magazine from the "Big 3", and Met or helped most major competitors.

I Still love the car audio origins and thats why I have made a move to show promotions and Creating the current Psyclone rules gave me that chance to bring back oldschool spl. My attention is/will be focused on dB Drag and getting the shows back in the hands of the dealers.

Thanks for this thread Mike, it reinforces my love for audio and amazing sound and spl in the automotive circles. There are people I miss in car audio like John Fairchild(RIP Godfather of bass), Alma Gates, there will never be another amazing woman who inspires so many young people to take up spl competition as a hobby. And the many many competitors who have inspired me to my sucesses and creations.

-Donald Hebig1989 Blazer S10 4x4-Four Fi BTL N3 15" "Ruthless bass!"-Four pair of American Bass VFL 8", 6.5", and tweets-Sundown SAZ 1500(2550wrms=156 dB) 92+ Psychlone RTA. Fully off-road capable street build. Built for music.-----------Bringing Sound Quality to a whole new level.--------------dB Drag: Personal best 161.3 sealed up and 158+ Bass Race.USACi: -Canadian SB5 Record holder-Canadian SM 4001+ Record holder

• 2 weeks later...

ive got 2 pch 154s from 1993

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dude I had to do an install with one of these (15 inch) in a single cab truck in a sealed enclosure and I wasn't expecting much with it being old and half warn out.

Let me tell you this woofer shocked the heck out of me and straight up slammed.

That one has to go down in my personal history as one of the most impressive experiences I have ever had for what it was.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

I remember a local stereo comp I was at and there was a guy in a dodge mini van with 4 15 inch Super pro Super Blues and he had one of the big PPI amps on them. I remember when he pulled up and metered his amp got so hot they went to the store and got a few bags of ice to cool the amp down for his next run because he had it at half ohm. I also remember my first system I ever bought. I got a old school Panasonic detach cd player, a 7 band in dash EQ, a one farad lightning cap, 2 6&1/2 Phoenix gold mids, two tweets of some kind, a 6 channel amp of some kind for my mids and highs, 2 15 inch super pro super blues, and a 50X2 US amp that had plexi glass on the bottom and it got hot alot and shut off. That amp was supposed to be able to put out 375 watts at 1 ohm and it made my subs beat pretty good. I eventually went to radioshack and bought a cooling fan, then used plumbers tape to hover it over the US Amp to keep it cooled. Man I wish I had a picture of that old setup cause I thought it was the shit! I gave $400 for the whole setup, then went and bought a Bulldog alarm at Wal-Mart and it had the gayest thing on it. It had a panic button and when you pressed it was a womans voice saying "Please help me, Please help me" and then a gay ass siren went off lol!

Kenwood Excelon KDX-693 Head Unit

Kinetik HC600

Powerbass 6.75's in front doors

Powerbass 6.75's in rear deck

Powerbass 1000.1D

Powerbass 400.4

2 SA-12 inch Sundown Audio Subs

0 gauge Power Wire and Big 3

Custom Amp Rack

Code Alarm with remote start

Stinger Digital Volt Meter

My build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/51869-1996-chevy-blazer-build/

My youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/kanesdisciple

It had a panic button and when you pressed it was a womans voice saying "Please help me, Please help me" and then a gay ass siren went off lol!

lmao...I remember those.

Michael Hughes = 6X SPL World Champion - Loudest on the planet in db Drag, USACi, and IASCA.

lmao...I remember those.

I remember an exgirlfriend from high school had one of those on her car... you could make it bark and shit too. classic. haha 1-wire alarm.

-Installer for Duke's Car Stereo

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Ported Eaton M90 S/C, 3.5" pulley, XS Power Headers, 1.9 Rockers, FWI, Poly Motor Mounts, Custom Tune.

RF T1000-1bdCP and T400-4

Boston Acoustics SPG 555

Kenwood eXcelon 995

RF Punch 6.5" components and MB Quart Premium 6x9"s

Powermaster Alternator, YellowTop D34, Vmax CT1000

• 1 month later...

Holy crap I almost forgot about alma gates L7's haven't seen any of those in a while. SPEAKING of old car audio companies can anyone SAY RODEK! How bout a little Targa :pardon: Used to have some of those amps back in the day targa's weren't bad for the money back then but Rodek amps were the shizz...

clever.jpg

Way back once upon a time i had an alpine 7263 HU and 2 pairs of alpine 60 watt amps powering 2 pair of pioneer 6x9's, then got a pair of nakimichi 8" subs and rocked like hell till the motors fell off the baskets. :crazy: Talk about how far the glues today have come. Still miss my nakimichi dragon cassete deck, that was the most incredible deck ever made.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Still miss my nakimichi dragon cassete deck, that was the most incredible deck ever made.

yeah...me too. The Nakamichi TD1200II. Back in the mid 80's a high end cassette player was $1000 and it was TRULY high end. Now a high end cd player is $400 but it not really"high end" like it was then. Now its all CRAP made in china.

Michael Hughes = 6X SPL World Champion - Loudest on the planet in db Drag, USACi, and IASCA.

Archived