Jump to content
Sonic Electronix

Best way to make a template for a custom panel?


Recommended Posts

Posted

So I'm trying to make a custom panel to mount my voltage meter in and I have the perfect spot to do it but I just can't figure out how to make a template. I'm goin to use 1/8 inch MDF but I'm not sure how to get a perfect fitting piece to fit into the slot that I want. I attached a picture of the spot I want it to go. It will be the empty spot to the right of the cigarette lighter. You can see the grooves around the edges where something would sit into it perfect but I don't know how to copy that shape. If anybody has any suggestions I'd appreciate it!

2019-03-11 14.50.34.jpg

Posted

Cardboard and scissors + trial and error, or a thick paper, like the construction paper I remember using for arts and crafts as a kid. Cut the shape you need, trace the meter on top, cut that area out, and voila you have a template

Posted

Try a razor or exacto knife for the corners. Small pieces at a time. Or use a semi-stiff wire to bend to the shape of the corner and use that to get the corner shape correct, then shave the template down slowly until it fits

Posted

I used foam board, basically the same as cardboard but, was easier to get rounded edges and grooves. It's pretty soft, you can push it against things and use the indention as s cut template. 

Stephen S.

Posted

quit drawing and shaping by hand. I can't draw to save my life. give me something that holds it's shape and I can draw pretty good. get something that has shapes you want and use them as a guide. making templates or beauty panels is all about combining shapes and making them flow together. try the template below as a starting point.

https://www.michaels.com/artists-loft-house-plan-template/10316186.html#q=template&start=8

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1561 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...