Any easy way to check if a battery is still good

So, I was wondering if anyone had a good method to check and see if a battery is still good without taking it to auto zone or wherever. I have 2 stinger SPP1500DC batteries under my hood. They're about 5 years old.

Ever since my truck came back from the shop that installed my current system, my truck would die after a day or two of sitting. The store manager told me "with these high wattage systems, you have to drive the car everyday" which didn't make any sense to me whatsoever, but I had been dealing with this shop forever before that so, not knowing much, I believed him. So, I ended up having to jump my truck at least once a month if not more, until about 2 years ago, I bought a battery tender/ charger. At one point throughout all this, my batteries started charging extremely slow. Turns out my 370 amp alternator was burning through the cable they installed to the positive. Again, the shop owner told me it was because I was jumping the battery and the alternator had to work too hard to charge the batteries. Then, not too long ago, the wife and  I went out on a date night and we decided to take my truck. I took the truck off the battery tender, truck started right up, drove about 20 minutes on the freeway to the movie theater, watched the movie, came out and the truck wouldn't start. Got a jump and drive it home. Well, my cousin and I are getting ready to rip out the current system to install the new upgrade. I decided to take the door interior off to disconnect the LED's they installed in the doors (the kind that shine a picture on the ground when you open the doors). Turns out, the way they installed them was the just crimped into the wire feeding my electric door locks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but nothing was ever telling those LED's to cut off when I closed my doors, right? 

The only reason I'm writing this book of a question is to give as much info on the situation as possible. Figured it might be useful. I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. I'm hoping maybe since I disconnected those LED's that maybe the batteries aren't bad.... or maybe just one? They're not cheap lol. Any feedback will be appreciated. Thank you. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

If those batts have been drained regularly over a long period of time it can damage them. Take them out. Charge them fully. Then check your voltage with a dmm. Then let them sit overnight. Check voltage again. If it varies from full charge just by sitting overnight its probly safe to say its no good.

8 minutes ago, CstrokerV said:

Take them out charge them let them sit check volts then put a load on them see if they still power something up or put one back in see if the car starts

\

7 minutes ago, mathewyocham said:

If those batts have been drained regularly over a long period of time it can damage them. Take them out. Charge them fully. Then check your voltage with a dmm. Then let them sit overnight. Check voltage again. If it varies from full charge just by sitting overnight its probly safe to say its no good.

Right on. Thank you. I'm going to do that tomorrow night

All auto parts stores will load test them for free.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

3 hours ago, Ron36 said:

All auto parts stores will load test them for free.

Yeah I know, I was trying to stay away from that because if all this virus shit going around. My wife is very nervous about all this, especially since I still have to go to work everyday. I'm about to ask her for father's day if I can spend $3000+ on pieces for my upgrade so I've got to keep her happy lol

7 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

Yeah I know, I was trying to stay away from that because if all this virus shit going around. My wife is very nervous about all this, especially since I still have to go to work everyday. I'm about to ask her for father's day if I can spend $3000+ on pieces for my upgrade so I've got to keep her happy lol

How many people do you work with or come in contact with? My work place was still going when everyone else was shutting down. I wasn't concerned because I was already around 200+ people for 8 hours every day and handling materials from God-knows-where. The way I looked at it, I was already at my greatest risk at work; what was a few more people in a store?

9 minutes ago, blammo585 said:

How many people do you work with or come in contact with? My work place was still going when everyone else was shutting down. I wasn't concerned because I was already around 200+ people for 8 hours every day and handling materials from God-knows-where. The way I looked at it, I was already at my greatest risk at work; what was a few more people in a store?

I work out in the field installing natural gas mains around San fransisco. I come into contact with the same 25ish people a day, but I also come into contact with a bunch of people I don't know daily as well. Being the foreman, I've got to talk to that pissed off person lol. My wife is just worried. She might watch a little too much news and look around Facebook a little much. She just wants to keep me, her, and our girls as safe as possible is all. Me wanting to go do not important stuff for a car stereo, she wouldn't be too happy and it's not worth a fight lol. But yeah, San fransisco it's fucking disgusting! This virus isn't even the most of my concerns. I've got to watch out for used needles, crazy drug addicts, and pissed off drivers

1 hour ago, BassMunky said:

Proper testing?

As proper as I can get in the garage. If it's not an obvious thing, I'll end up taking down to the auto store and having them actually check it

Archived