Starting My A-pillars

dwright27

so today i started on my a pillars. putting a 6.5 in each one or maybe 2 in each one.

should i glass the entire pillar or just the area right around where im putting my rings and speakers?? also when i lay my "stretchy" material can i just resin it or is there something else i need to do??

im using a polyester fleece blanket and am ordering my Duraglass and evercoat at the end of the week to avoid the holiday delay. is a co ax acceptable or should i use components?

thanks guys, ill post some pictures if i can get my damn POS digi cam to work.

2006 F-150

4 DC XL M2 18's Walled Daily Driver

XS Power

4 DC 3.5kw

Team DC

Team S.P.L.

Lot of Audio Technix and 1/0

DC Audio Dealer

American Bass Dealer

XS Power Dealer

Audio Technix Dealer

DWRIGHT-1-1.jpg

oh there was a question?

You should drill lots of holes thru your pillers for the resin to soak thru and make a bond on both sides. This will help to keep the pods from cracking off the plastic since bondo/resin does not bond good to it.

You should also scuff the hell out of the pillers with like a 36 grit sand paper.

Weather or not your wnating to do the whole piller or just by the speakers is up to you.

But if it was me, I would do the whole thing, this way you have a consistant and simular surface thruout the pillers..

Not only should you put resin on the material, you should also apply some sort of chop mat or cloth mat to the struture to help strengthen it. Then bondo over any unlevel spots, and finally finish up with evercoat to get any small pinholes fiilled in.

If your gonna wrap the pillers when done, you really dont need to worry about the pinholes so you could skip buying that and save a few bucks, but if your painting the pillers, evercoat is a must!

Post some pics up and prove them wrong....

Just resin the area your working with and a little past, looking fowards to seeing your progress!!

Eh, I'd go more than just a little past with an A-pillar.

oh and here is your help......SEARCH more then enough posts on a pillars

There's never enough posts on A-Pillars.

A few things I would do, (and what I'm going to do when I do my pillars)

Don't use fleece. It's too thick and might make the pillars look huge with un necessary cloth. Try Ponte cloth. Drill lots of holes. Wrap the whole pillar, take the cloth Around the edges as well. Pop stapes around the edges, then fold the legs of the staples over underneath the plastic pillar.

Then go ahead and start glassing.

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

Hmmm, looks like you got a lot of good advice here along with some good ole SMD prodding! :D

Only thing I see that no one addressed, is that #1 coax's suck, get a decent component set! #2 WHY would you want 2 6.5"s in each a-pillar?, and #3, consider building your self a 3-way passive setup. 4" mid and 1" tweet in each a-pillar and a 6.5" midbass in the front doors.

Don't be afraid to post up pics of your progres, I did and my pillars turned out pretty nice.

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

midbass in yo face

post pics so we can see, and others can learn, check ptcary's build log, he had quite a few pics showing how he did his

if yours come out sick, i may be doing mine in a similar fashion, theres 4 RF power 4in sitting in my room right now, so either those or something bigger, i wanted to see if 6.5's or 5/25's would work

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

I'm thinking that a 6.5" coax might be a little wrong for an a-pillar... Unless you're doing this for practice only, which if you are, I'd advise you to start looking around for an extra set of stock pillars "just in case".

IMO it will look like a fucking dinner plate up there because it'll be at least a 7" ring sticking out a few inches..

I would have to say that 5.25 component set, or a tweet, 4" pillar setup with a 6.5 - 8" in the door would be much better all the way around.

Check out StoneSounds to see my recent builds.Or look at the Flying White Facebook Page!

Archived