DC Sound Lab

So comes to find out I've been hearing a strange almost popping type sound coming from my right sub and I couldn't figure out where or why. Today I pulled out the sub to take a look and low and behold I've got a COMPLETELY broken tinsel lead. So my sub has been running on 1 voice coil. Might I add running on 1 voice coil with almost NO signs besides a TINY popping sound that I had mistaken for a corner of my trim panel. So to say the least my satisfaction of DC audio's subwoofers is beyond amazing, I've never seen a sub do such a thing and still work like a true soldier.

Now my main concern is what do I do? It appears that the tinsel is broken because of it being pulled or stretched from towards the cone of the sub, however the others are fine. There are no indications what so ever of it burning or over excursion or any of the likes, I'm just curious if there isn't a flaw beneath the dust cap that over time allowed this to happen? I can see the coils in the motor and they look just the way they did the day I got them, and the subs have never been overpowered, They are two DC lvl2 10"s with DVC 4ohm (300w rms, 600w peak), ran together to give the amp a 1 ohm load, at which the amp supplies 600watts rms. (The perfect scenario you could put these subs to). Another reason why I'm surprised at this situation is that I can test the resistance of the voice coils with my fluke and I'm getting 4ohms average on each coil even though the tinsel is broken which is another reason why I'm stumped at what the problem is. It's a strange situation because it's nothing like a simple fix where the tinsel just needs to be resoldered to the terminal, because it seems like it has been shortened and when the speaker would extend it would just break again.

I'm gonna PM rusty and see what he says and if he'd take a look at it for me, as well as post up some pics here and see what you guys might know about what exactly happened.

I'm kinda sad but I'm atleast glad I went with DC hearing from how well customer service is. :) Again I must say I've never seen a sub take a handicap like that and keep on going like nothing happened. :o

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

you will have to end up reconing it for best results, but you might be able to solder the leads together and keep laying, my lvl 4's had the older leads and i snapped a lead on each of them also

My F-150 Build

GET ON THE BANDWAGON

loganberry44.gif

DSC01482-1-1.jpg

what if they tried messing with the amps when the subs werent louder :ehh: hahah jk :pardon:

Old Style leads or the New style??

I broke a couple of mine when they were the old style. Rusty was kind enough to send me a couple leads and a dustcap and I just replaced them. Not hard at all to do.

But now I have the New style leads and the are 1000000x BETTER! I dont think they'll ever break :)

Here's the pic of my fallen soldier.

You can kinda see how the tinsel appears as if it's been pulled into the cone because it's shorter.

0405092357.jpg

0405092358.jpg

This is the ohm reading of the broken voicecoil tinsel side.

0405092359.jpg

Then this is the side that is still fine.

0406090001.jpg

I sent a pm to rusty so now I just get to wait for a response. :)

userbar651078zu3.gif

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

i bought both my level 4s with broken tinsels. 1 vc on each sub. i replaced the tinsels, and one sub is fine. the other keeps ripping them, so im not even running it.

and it looks like you mightve burned it

That was my first assumption because I've had a sub in the past that the voice coil had unwound inside and pulled the tinsels tight. So I've seen a similar situation before, However, from what I can see the voice coil looks superbly fine, no signs of burned at all. It looks like it's darkened at the ends of the tinsel in the picture, but I assure you it's just broken, with no signs of burn.

Now on the other side I just now took a real close look at it and where the first turn of the tinsel is off of the terminal it looks a little weak, but in no way does it show signs of burning. It appears almost like it's just been wearing due to it being in motion constantly.

I am 100% certain this cannot be because of overpowering of any sort, because I've been powering them the exact recommended specs since the day I got them.

Just a really strange situation.

userbar651078zu3.gif

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner