Sonic Electronix

If both x-overs are only say 12 db slope and you want a 24db slope you will achieve that with using both... theres a section about it in the car stereo cookbook or whatever it is called..it also gives you a fromula to figure out what the xover its set at if say one is set at 80hz and the other at 60hz, what it will end up at..

Yeah, I kinda learned this from the old speaker shop I worked at, to achieve a 24db oct with 2- 12db filters, they should be set 1octave off..... say 1 at 45hz, the other at 90hz... seems like 45hz and 45hz would work (example) but it doesnt- First filter inline should be set highest, closest to the woofer set lowest

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

what exactly is this curve that everyone is speaking of and how does it apply to my situation, hope i dont sound dumb but i am a novice at this kind of stuff....but would i still not be better off with just the active crossover by itself?

The slope or curve is the point that the crossover starts taking frequencies and cuting them out at a certain level a 12db 120hz crossover slope is where the crossover takes frequencies 120hz and starts cutting them by 12db per freqency (either low pass or highpass depending on what ur using) that is how I understand it.

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

yeah.... :blink: im not sure i think im gonna have to have a bowl and ponder how that would work. but using the active x-over with the passive on the amps i can manipulate this and get some more customization out of it? or is that just over processing?

I'm using both the HPF on my H/U and the HPF on my amp. It just steepens the cutoff curve. It makes for a less smooth transition between frequencies, but you can run your mids/highs at a louder volume because theyre effectively crossed over higher.

A couple links to some box builds:

Tahoe Box 1, Tahoe Box 2, Nissan Titan, VW GTI,

Mini-Bump, Hummer H2, Ford F-150

My own car builds (current setup --- under construction):

Overall Thread, Kickpods, Dash, Back Doors

Subwoofer Wall

ok lets start from the beg... A crossover is a device that cuts off a certain level of signal per octave at a certain starting point (freq) Example of this is a 12db HPF set at 100hz so at 100hz your signal should be uneffected but at an octave below 100hz the signal will be -12db and -24db the next octave and so on. So if you were to combine an active 12db HPF with the amp 12db HPF @ 100hz You would effectively make a 24db crossover because the singnal an octove below 100hz would be -24db not -12. Like burrito said there are several pros and cos with steeper (higher #) crossovers.... You get less of a blend because more freq is being cut so it could be harder to tune without getting lost freqs but a steeper slope allows more volume because the freqs you want to cut have an overall lower db level

J. Jsig_253411.jpgMy CardomainFINISHED COBALT SS/SC DUAL ALTERNATOR PICS icon_nuts.gif

theres no such thing as too expensive when it comes to upgrades like that, because imo if you are gonna spend to upgrade then do it correctly rather then be a cheap ass ricer