slugdub Posted December 7, 2009 Report Posted December 7, 2009 I dont have the money to buy Second Skin/dynamat/etc.... products, and it was brought to my attention from Brian (Sanitarium) that the cheap "Peel and Seal" works well. Well, after some bullshiting, we went to Lowes (Only place that carries this in my area) and bought 1 6" x 25FT roll, and this was enough to do my 2 rear doors in my tahoe 2-3 layers thick. AMAZING DIFFERENCE! Just knocking on the door feels like your knocking on a 1ton piece of steel. I am addicted at this point, so yesterday I go back to lowes and charge another 13$ to my CC for another roll so I can do my front doors. After spending a few hours installing 2-3 layers on both front doors and making sure the woofer holes were well coated on both sides as well as the door itself, the doors are now like 15lbs heavier, and make a "THUD" sound when they are closed! The mid bass from my RF comps in the doors as well as my RF comps in my "kicks" make so much mid bass now, my mirrors are shaking like crazy. I actually had to turn down the bass gain on the HU after this install. Crystal clear mids and highs in my tahoe now. I will NEVER NEVER NEVER do another audio install without doing some sort of sound deadner first. This peel and seal stuff is cheap and works very well for the "POOR MAN" Anyone else ever use "peel and seal?" THANK YOU so much for this idea. Man, I could never afford or justify spending huge $$$ on dynamtting, but you just gave me a good, cheap, fun project to do to fix that trunk rattle. Wooooo hoooooo!
notorious97200 Posted December 10, 2009 Report Posted December 10, 2009 You can use cheap Peal & Seal for the bottom of your trunk, if you're really on a small budget !!! But you'd better use real sound deadener on doors, roof,... Everywhere it can fall down. I wouldn't use it in my doors!! How can you say it doesn't smell ? Even the Hushmat/Fatmat you can find on ebay smells so hard the first days !!! I have one layer of fatmat in my trunk, and it was smelling soooo bad for a few days !!! Weeks later, I put one layer of Damplifier in the trunk, and on the doors(inner skin, outer skin), and I never smelled anything. Maybe those who live in the cold won't smell anything with peal & seal, but with hot weather you will smell it !!! black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp OEM head unit, Amplifiers : Audison AP 8.9 with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200. Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats. 2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a sealed box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.
jp-kustomz Posted December 10, 2009 Report Posted December 10, 2009 ima have to try that. lol 95 Delta 88 10 inch fubar(2 MB Quart RWE-352 15" on way soon) 1500.1 crunch kenwood KDC-MP642U Jp Kustomz
dsmdan Posted December 10, 2009 Report Posted December 10, 2009 Years ago (6 or so) I bought a dynamant trunk kit, and it fell short of being enough, so I bought some peel n seal and it worked great. Stuck just as well, just not as thick. I also used it on my rear deck lid and tray as it would always flex and clank against the back window, but the peel n seal worked great and stopped the clatter. I also think that sometimes the thinner peel n seal is better in tight spots where it would be tough to get the thicker sound deadener in. -Dan Kasun 05' Dodge Ram 1500 QCSB Hemi Blow-thru build in progress. 2 RD HW18's, RD D9, 5 Deka 9a31's, 6th order blow-thru box, Eclipse 7200mkii HU, 140' Knu Kollossus wire. DC Power 270xp Alt, Etc.
Anthony Collova Posted December 11, 2009 Report Posted December 11, 2009 ive used it, it works good on a budgetbut if u do the math its $1.12 per sq ft (14/12.5) ss damplifiber is $2.24 per sq ft (359/160) but u need 2 layers of p&s to achieve what 1 layer of ss does... so its a toss up if u are even saving money Actually you would need 3 layers. I hate to piss on anyones parade, but the research has been done on other forums for years and years. MAny have used it, and regretted it. Peel and seel is asphalt, and while it may stick well now, be ready for it to fall off in a few months. Cheap? yes.. But also: Toxic not elastomeric Not crosslinked foil to thin to constrain the asphalt temperature dependant. I am glad to hear that people are getting good results, but please, before you reccomend someone else uses a toxic, smelly and low grade product, try to have a bit more experience with it. See, some people have good results with it. For p&s, good results simply means it does not melt. Many more though have it melt and run in to problems. If you go around and suggest that other people use this product, I hope you are just as willin gto come back to this thread IF your product fails over the summer to let us know. Again, failure is not 100% certain with asphalt, but in most cases, more than hald of it will fail. How well you apply it makes no difference. Once it hits 180 degrees it will melt, and will fall off. There is no way around this. Asphalt melts at 180 f. Water melts at 32 f. Try attaching an ice cube in an oven walll and see if it holds up. Again, if you reccmend this product to anyone, be prepared to have some angry people come back, when their product fail. Remember, just becuase it looks similar to a vibration damper, does not mean it will function the same way. Not even close. Thanks for listenting /$.02 ANt
jbondox Posted December 11, 2009 Report Posted December 11, 2009 one frozen day here and P&S will be all off when the car thaws. been there and seen it many of times...way too many glad I don't see the crap anymore with all the cheap crap shops going bye-bye... unfortunately when a shop closes one of their installers thinks they can open a new one and the vicious cycle begins all over. SMD SuperSeller VerifiedJbondoXJames Shields
barros57 Posted December 25, 2009 Report Posted December 25, 2009 yup, ive already got a roll 6"X25' of this sitting in my room. I saw it @ home depot a couple weeks ago and i was interested because it seemed like it would serve the same purpose. Good to know people have tried this stuff with good results! My 93 chevy truck Orion HCCA 15's Build 6K HID's 2 orion HCCA 15.4 2 AP30001D's 2 optima yellowtops, 2 C&D 270fr's, all 3 tsunami 1/0, CS144 190 amp Rockford p200-2 Rockford p200-2 Rockford p300-1 Kole KX1 5500D -broken
Twiztidsetup Posted March 5, 2010 Report Posted March 5, 2010 Hey man did this peel and seal stop vibrations/rattle? I have alot of vibrations on the roof of my s10 extended cab truck. Im going to buy some at lowes tomm.. its the 6' by 25" correct? Ill take vids and show people the difference and post it here.
AI James Posted March 5, 2010 Report Posted March 5, 2010 wow amazing where everyones willing to cheap out
ktm300 Posted March 8, 2010 Report Posted March 8, 2010 I did a set of doors with PnS. Prepped the doors by cleaning everything off with solvent, and then stuck it on, and used a hard plastic spreader to smooth it out. I hasn't fallen off or started peeling. Its been 3 or 4 years of northern CA weather. Which is hot in the summer and it gets freezing in the winter. Im sure if you prep it right followed by correct application it will be fine. All of the sound deadeners are toxic, not just this one....
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.