Another Voltage Problem Thread

Ok first of this entire problem has been going on ever since I have had my system. Ok lets see where do I start!!

I have a really crazy voltage problem that some people (not naming) said is normal for my setup. Some reason it is hard to believe that. I am having this problem in my 2004 Nissan Armada. Ok so I have a sundown 1200saz amp running a fi bl 15 at 1ohm. For electrical I have the big 3 and power/ground wires in 0g. I am running a DC power 275amp Alt and an Xs power d5100r battery.

My basic problem is that off 1200rms my voltage drops to about 12.9 and sometimes lower. Even on very low volume my lights will flicker. The crap is very annoying. I need opinions on what this could possibly be. I checked all grounds and power wires. I also checked belt slippage. Oh and at idle the voltage drops below 12.9 and even at 1500 to 2000 rpm my lights will still flicker but voltage does hold better. I have no clue what it could be but I am just not fallen for it being normal with 1200rms. I could understand if I had like 2000rms or more!!!

I really need the help and all of it will be well appreciated. I have ignored it over the past couple months but I need to get this fixed...You will all be loved :air_kiss:

Thanks,

Patrick

04 Armada. Lifted 35" Toyo MTs.

Sundown 1200saz

Fi Bl Fully Loaded

th140x100square.jpg

I would say that's not normal. I'm running an sae1200d in my Bonneville with stock alt and battery and I only get down into the 12s at full tilt on a bass heavy song. At average volumes it's not bad at all.

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi

Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Alpine SPX-17REF 6.5" components (active)

Sundown SAX-50.4

Sundown z15 (3 cubes @ 35 hz)

Sundown SAX-1200D

2006 Buick Rainier CXL AWD V8

Stock Bose system

12" Alpine Type E in aeroported box

Profile AP1000M

i think it depends on the car. mine had the lights dim with almost no voltage drop and about the same power you have. where is your volt meter connected to? mine is hooked up to the sub amp and it shows dips way below what a meter on the battery will tell you.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

So what is your voltage sit at when you're cruising?

Sounds like there just isn't enough amperage put out at idle.

Edited by Shyne151

-Installer for Duke's Car Stereo

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Ported Eaton M90 S/C, 3.5" pulley, XS Power Headers, 1.9 Rockers, FWI, Poly Motor Mounts, Custom Tune.

RF T1000-1bdCP and T400-4

Boston Acoustics SPG 555

Kenwood eXcelon 995

RF Punch 6.5" components and MB Quart Premium 6x9"s

Powermaster Alternator, YellowTop D34, Vmax CT1000

I believe Villa Rica is about 2hrs away. Yeah I definetly might look into that.

So what is your voltage sit at when you're cruising?

Sounds like there just isn't enough amperage put out at idle.

My voltage sits around 13.8 to 14.0 depending on temp. At idle it sits at 13.5. Oh also my voltage meter is connected to the amp but using a DMM I looked at the battery and it was very similar. Some of the drop into the mid 12s at idle and at idle my lights will sometimes flicker so much they almost seem like I tunrned them off then back on really fast.

Sundown 1200saz

Fi Bl Fully Loaded

th140x100square.jpg

Where are your bassboost and gain settings at on your amp?

Do you only have the 1 XS 5100 battery, or do you have a second factory battery in your vehicle?

Your factory battery maybe junk and is causing lots of strain on your electrical if it is.

You said you have the big 3 done in 1/0 wiring, but what is the size of your power wire going to the back?

Ok first of this entire problem has been going on ever since I have had my system. Ok lets see where do I start!!

I have a really crazy voltage problem that some people (not naming) said is normal for my setup. Some reason it is hard to believe that. I am having this problem in my 2004 Nissan Armada. Ok so I have a sundown 1200saz amp running a fi bl 15 at 1ohm. For electrical I have the big 3 and power/ground wires in 0g. I am running a DC power 275amp Alt and an Xs power d5100r battery.

This isnt your only battery is it?

My basic problem is that off 1200rms my voltage drops to about 12.9 and sometimes lower. Even on very low volume my lights will flicker. The crap is very annoying. I need opinions on what this could possibly be. I checked all grounds and power wires. I also checked belt slippage. Oh and at idle the voltage drops below 12.9 and even at 1500 to 2000 rpm my lights will still flicker but voltage does hold better. I have no clue what it could be but I am just not fallen for it being normal with 1200rms. I could understand if I had like 2000rms or more!!!

Where are you checking voltage? Do you have a ground from the battery or alt to the body anywhere?

Sounds like you have some possible voltage drop in your wiring or your alt just doesnt have good output at idle. It shouldnt be too hard to satisfy a 1200 watt amplifier. Hard to say tho. I would check voltage at every point in the truck to make sure you dont have a bad voltage drop anywhere.

I really need the help and all of it will be well appreciated. I have ignored it over the past couple months but I need to get this fixed...You will all be loved :air_kiss:

Thanks,

Patrick

Yes at the moment it is my only battery and all my power/ground wires are 1/0. Also my gain setting is a little under 3/4.

I have a ground going from the battery and from the alternator. So 2 total. Also I have the additional factory ground and a 1/0 ground from the frame to the engine. How would I check the wiring for voltage drop?

Rob ill be pm'ing you in just a second. Thanks for the reply!!!

Edited by yota_oddball

Sundown 1200saz

Fi Bl Fully Loaded

th140x100square.jpg