How I make my connections

WWSMD! What would Steve Meade Do?
they would all be soldered and taped. trust me. and as for taking a little longer...the only way an install is shorter is if you are usimg t-taps. therer are a feqw instantses that i used my share of scotch-locks where there was no-way i was able to interwace with a hot iron within a cluster of other sensitive wires in locations that you could barely see much less hardly hit with your pliers and if you were lucky four fingertips. but for anyone cming up...learn to solder it all it will make the bossman and the cutomer happy. because nothing will come undone and no extra time will be wasted on r&r's

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...showtopic=29213 "sleeper build"

(1) DC AUDIO Level4XL 10

(2) PowermasterD2700 batteries

ALL FOR SALE

TEAM DC AUDIO

TEAM DIRTFLOORPOOR

call me a dick or whatever, but there is no right way to make a bad connection. sorry.

Quit trolling and get out of here. I made this post to help people with making connections, not to fucking argue with some turd about how I should have soldered everything.

If it is such a bad connection why is it taught by the number one remote start company? Please elaborate on that.

Your posts tell me you're not an installer. Some of the wires you have to tag in vehicles are in ridiculous places that I would love to see you get an iron, torch, or gun in.

I have been making my connections this way for the past three years and have never had one car come back due to a faulty connection. Where as when I worked at circuit city there was cars coming back all the time from people who didn't know how to solder or pulled the tape so hard that a sharp point came thru and was grounding out.

Yes my own vehicle everything is soldered. I also understand why James solders all his connections... hes working on benz, porchse, bmws, etc... Most of the wires you will be interfacing with in those cars are data lines. But let's emphasize this again to save time at work I don't solder every wire nor does anyone else. I work in Michigan which is a very busy state for remote starts and I've never had a car come back because of these connections. You will be VERY hard pressed to find a shop that solders everything, hell Unique Whips doesn't even... The two cars I've looked at our theirs were nightmares.

-Installer for Duke's Car Stereo

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Ported Eaton M90 S/C, 3.5" pulley, XS Power Headers, 1.9 Rockers, FWI, Poly Motor Mounts, Custom Tune.

RF T1000-1bdCP and T400-4

Boston Acoustics SPG 555

Kenwood eXcelon 995

RF Punch 6.5" components and MB Quart Premium 6x9"s

Powermaster Alternator, YellowTop D34, Vmax CT1000

WWSMD! What would Steve Meade Do?

lol i think steve had someone do it for him in chickens caddy...

anyways... thank you for this post... i jus got my viper 5701... doing research about doing my own install.... and i was wondering about soldering connections or not...

My first truck... My first Real build...

*Update 8/9/10 DC Power 270xp Alt is In!!!*

1997 Toyota T-100 DC Level 5 18" in a T-line

Everybody wants their system to be....

1. Cheap

2. Reliable

3. Loud

...you can only pick two.

micahmye hertz pack

i jus got my viper 5701... doing research about doing my own install.... and i was wondering about soldering connections or not...

It's really a question of do you want to supersize you meal or not? For a little more time you can get a better feeling that you've gotten more. Or you can go the way he shows done (excluding where I pointed out the wrong sized terminal for the gauge of wire) ;)

The thing about it is, when done right non soldered joints will NEVER be an issue. And it goes the same with soldered connections. When a soldered connection is done wrong, it will be an issue.

It's all up to you if you want to solder or not. If you know how to solder well you might as well go that route. If you just think you're the shit with a soldering iron, but you don't have the experience you might as well hold your wires together with a booger.

In all my work which is 60% for my self and 40% for someone else I use a mix of soldered and non soldered. There's not really any law that says "this must be soldered and this doesn't have to be" (however it is strongly suggested at times) but I use the two connections depending on how I feel would be the safest. If it's a major concern, I'll pull out my butane iron for a quick joint. If I am confident at what's going on with the connection, I wont solder. Like I said before, the biggest problem is who is making the connection and if they really know what they are doing. There are many ways to do a soldered joint wrong, just as there is with a non soldered joint. So the real answer is, YES a properly done solder joint is the way to go, but a properly done non soldered joint is just as effective in the end. If you don't think installers should be allowed to not solder their connections, then don't go to them. Don't give them your money, go to someone who will.

If anyone wants to learn the best techniques out there pick up this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Wiring-El...5663&sr=8-1

Steve made a recommendation on it way back when, and I'll make a recommendation on it as well. Alot of the same techniques that are shown on this thread are explained in the book, plus many more. Soldered and non soldered.

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

Guest Scylloga
why not go ahead and solder it? you are already in there. You don't think that current draw through those wires will cause them to corrode over time?

I challenge you to got pull every plug and switch in your house out and see if all those connections are soldered.

I also challenge you to search every joint and connection in a car and show me that they are all soldered.

As stated above your trolling and should be smacked by David for being a douche.

As for corroding as long as the elements are not allowed to get to the wires you are golden and wont have any problems.

T-taps are fast.. much faster then solder.

I agree try soldering the brake wires on some vehicles for remote start shut down...

i have had to fix cars that came back from our previous installer that used t-taps...... they dont always make a good connection.......

2003 Toyota Sequoia

Pioneer 4100dvd

Memphis PR6.5 3ways in all four doors

Memphis PR 15s (4)

Memphis PR 1.1000 (2)

Memphis PR 4.50 (1)

Optima Yellowtop (2)

Viper 5901

8000k H.I.D. kit

15% tint (2layers)

i have had to fix cars that came back from our previous installer that used t-taps...... they dont always make a good connection.......

Word.

Basically when satan is taking his morning shit, T-taps are what comes out.

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

Archived