need help with my kicker system.

o.k i had this system for a while now i'd say about 2 years.. i started out with 2 15'' kicker l7 dual 2 ohm subs and 2 kicker sx1250.1 amps..

then i bought 2 more 15'' l7 subs and another kicker sx1250.1 amp..

now i had 2 of the 1250.1's hooked up to the 2 l7 subs and i also had a kicker zx650.4 and a kicker zx350.4 for all my mids and highs..

so i did not want to end up running 6 amps in the amp in my 95 pontiac bonneville so i sold all 3 of my sx1250.1 amps and i bought a kicker zx2500.1. so as of right now i am running the 1 kicker zx2500.1 on the 2 15'' l7 subs wired to a single 2 ohm load and its just straight crazy.. each sub is in a 4 cubic foot box slot ported thru the back seat. a total of 8 cubes 9.5 cubes with port..

so i want to use all 4 of my 15'' l7 subs which i have not been able to do in the 2 years i had them..

my problem is i cant afford another zx2500.1 amp at the moment but i am dying to use all 4 subs..

if i wire all 4 of my dual 2 ohm subs to a single 4 ohm load then i would only be giving the 4 subs about 1300 watts rms total..as compared to giving just the 2 subs about 2700 watts rms which is what the amp is rated at..

should i go half power with the amp and run all 4 subs or shold i just stay with the 2 15'' subs for now getting 2700 watts rms..?

i do not want to wire all 4 subs to a 1 ohm load and ruin the amp so that is out the question..

any advice would be greatly appericated.. thanks....

4 15'' kicker L7 subs ( only 2 being used right now )

1 kicker zx2500.1 ( another soon 2 come )

box is 9.5 cubic feet slot portd thur the back seat

1 kicker zx650.4 amp powering 4 10'' ev dl10x mids ( rear deck )

1 kicker zx350.4 power 4 8'' beyma 8mi100 mid/highs ( 1 on each door )

2 runs of zero gauge wire ( about 60 feet total. )

big 3 done in zero gauge kicker wire

3 runs of 4 gauge for voice amps and eq' and crossover

2 kinetik hc1800 batteries in the trunk and 1 optima yellow top under the hood

260 amp irragi high output alternator ( soon to be 2 alt's )

alpine cda 9856 ipod headunit

kicker kx3 3 way crossover & a old school alpine 3342 digital 11 band sound field processor eq.

( search for ( 88bonnsse ) on youtube.com to see my videos..

If you have the power to back it up you can run it at 1 ohm daily and not have a problem.. If not leave the 2 on it and call it a day.. You dont wanna run them at 4 omhs and be so under powered you will end up fring something and you dont want that...

HU...Pioneer 5900IB

Wireing...Stinger

Amps...(1) Modded Stetsom 2K6..

Batts...(1) Stinger 2150

SPL Subs...(2) DD 9515 Hybrids

Daily Subs..(1) Mmats P3.0 15

N.S.P.L.

2012 NC State Record Trunk 1801-3600

2012 World Record Trunk 1801-3600

2011 NC State Record No Wall 0-24"

2011 NC State Record No Wall 0-24" Hardcore

2011 World Record No Wall 0-24"

2011 World Record No Wall 0-24" Hardcore

2010 World Record No Wall 0-2500w

2010 NC State Record No Wall 0-2500w

2009 NC State Record No Wall 0-24"

2009 NC State Record No Wall Hardcore 0-24"

If you have the power to back it up you can run it at 1 ohm daily and not have a problem.. If not leave the 2 on it and call it a day.. You dont wanna run them at 4 omhs and be so under powered you will end up fring something and you dont want that...

what kind of power do you mean..? i have 2 kinetik hc1800's in the trunk an optima under the hood and a 260 amp iraggi alternator with all zero gauge wire..

not really sure what my voltage is at when the bass hits...

4 15'' kicker L7 subs ( only 2 being used right now )

1 kicker zx2500.1 ( another soon 2 come )

box is 9.5 cubic feet slot portd thur the back seat

1 kicker zx650.4 amp powering 4 10'' ev dl10x mids ( rear deck )

1 kicker zx350.4 power 4 8'' beyma 8mi100 mid/highs ( 1 on each door )

2 runs of zero gauge wire ( about 60 feet total. )

big 3 done in zero gauge kicker wire

3 runs of 4 gauge for voice amps and eq' and crossover

2 kinetik hc1800 batteries in the trunk and 1 optima yellow top under the hood

260 amp irragi high output alternator ( soon to be 2 alt's )

alpine cda 9856 ipod headunit

kicker kx3 3 way crossover & a old school alpine 3342 digital 11 band sound field processor eq.

( search for ( 88bonnsse ) on youtube.com to see my videos..

my problem is i cant afford another zx2500.1 amp at the moment but i am dying to use all 4 subs..

if i wire all 4 of my dual 2 ohm subs to a single 4 ohm load then i would only be giving the 4 subs about 1300 watts rms total..as compared to giving just the 2 subs about 2700 watts rms which is what the amp is rated at..

should i go half power with the amp and run all 4 subs or shold i just stay with the 2 15'' subs for now getting 2700 watts rms..?

i do not want to wire all 4 subs to a 1 ohm load and ruin the amp so that is out the question..

any advice would be greatly appericated.. thanks....

Don't under power you sub because you might damage it and it will not sound good as you want it to be. If you cannot afford another zx2500.1 then stay with the pair of 15" sub for not. Don't bother running the kicker amp on 1 ohm for daily system because you might damage it, and i know those amp isn't cheap...

Your Kicker amp will go into protect if you run it at a 1 ohm load. you will be much happier with just 2 subs at full power until you can save enough money for another amp.

:blink:

I played my zx300.1 at .5 ohm for about a year and now my buddy has it running it at .5 ohm and it's been about another year, and still working perfectly. It would only go into protect if I would play for an hour+ at full tilt during the summer, other than that it never went into protect. Electrical was completely stock too, even without big 3 done. So I know if you have a good electrical, the zx amps can handle .5 ohm load, so that means it will obviously hold a 1 ohm load.

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

Don't under power you sub because you might damage it and it will not sound good as you want it to be. If you cannot afford another zx2500.1 then stay with the pair of 15" sub for not. Don't bother running the kicker amp on 1 ohm for daily system because you might damage it, and i know those amp isn't cheap...

Bs on the sentence in red.

You will never harm subs if you just underpower them, but only if you don't set the gains correct and cause clipping.

Subs won't sound as good if they are underpowered is bs too, most SQ competitors don't give the subs full rms.

IF you turn you're system down it doesn't gives full power to the subs, but it doesn't sounds worse.

I agree with the rest, you should try to run it at 1 ohm.

And you would better stick with 2 subs, it probably will be as loud as 4 subs on half power.

But you have less room in you're car.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Bs on the sentence in red.

You will never harm subs if you just underpower them, but only if you don't set the gains correct and cause clipping.

Subs won't sound as good if they are underpowered is bs too, most SQ competitors don't give the subs full rms.

IF you turn you're system down it doesn't gives full power to the subs, but it doesn't sounds worse.

I agree with the rest, you should try to run it at 1 ohm.

And you would better stick with 2 subs, it probably will be as loud as 4 subs on half power.

But you have less room in you're car.

I just now saw that sentence, thank you haha. Underpowering your subs will not blow them or cause any damage to them, and it won't make it sound any worse. The only time something like this applies, is if you have a sub that is rated at 500 rms, and a sub that is rated at 1,000 rms and you're throwing 500 rms at them; the sub that is rated at 500 RMS will be a bit louder.

But with what kirill007 said about clipping while underpowering is true, but also not true. If you're sub can handle 2-3 times the power the amp can pump out, you can cause clipping and you won't run into any problems. So let's say a sub is rated at 1,000 RMS and you throw 350-500RMS at it, you can clip without having any worries. When I ran the zx300.1 I had it wired to .5 ohm load to 2 10" L5s, 1 single L5 was rated at 350 RMS, so 300/2=150 RMS. So I was sending 150 RMS to each sub with major clipped signals (gain & b-boost all the way up), and never once smelt any burning or ran into any problems.

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

Also consider:

Would you be walling this or were you going to try to squeeze 4 15s in the trunk of your Bonnie?

I'd stick with 2 subs w/ a proper box and power over 4 subs in a tiny box with little power.

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi

Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Alpine SPX-17REF 6.5" components (active)

Sundown SAX-50.4

Sundown z15 (3 cubes @ 35 hz)

Sundown SAX-1200D

2006 Buick Rainier CXL AWD V8

Stock Bose system

12" Alpine Type E in aeroported box

Profile AP1000M

Also consider:

Would you be walling this or were you going to try to squeeze 4 15s in the trunk of your Bonnie?

I'd stick with 2 subs w/ a proper box and power over 4 subs in a tiny box with little power.

x2..... going with more sub and wattage isn't always the best thing to do. Considering the available space, would it fit another 7-9 cubft? If I like the current setup, why change it?

You can try for the fun of it, if you have the $$ and time..... but I would stick to 2 - L7 and the 2500x1.

My Build Log- T E A M S U N D O W N A U D I O -

2013 DbDrag WF SS1-2 - 5th Place 154.6db

2013 MECA Mod3 CA State Final Champ 153.4db