Sonic Electronix

Bumping in the cold, any risk? Also, touchscreen in winter..

I live in Iowa so it can get really fuckin cold, obviously my subs barely (if at all) hit when they are cold as they need to heat up so I was just wondering if there is any risk of harming them by still playing my music loud when they are still cold

I have the touchscreen dvd player, the screen hasnt been used in months (failed box design) and I was wondering if the screen will be completely fucked from the frigid cold when I can finally use it again

1993 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham.

Jensen UV10 DVD HU

Two 12" Sony Xplode (temporary)

I live in Iowa so it can get really fuckin cold, obviously my subs barely (if at all) hit when they are cold as they need to heat up so I was just wondering if there is any risk of harming them by still playing my music loud when they are still cold

I have the touchscreen dvd player, the screen hasnt been used in months (failed box design) and I was wondering if the screen will be completely fucked from the frigid cold when I can finally use it again

i live in northern new hampshire where average temperature in the winter is like 0 degrees and is can regularly get down to 20 below and i bump all winter long, i havent had any problems as of yet, im not saying it definitely wont hurt your equipment as im just going by my personal experience but you should be fine.

and yes cold air makes subs louder, it is more dense then warmer air and therefore the subs can create more air pressure as far as i know, dont quote me on that though, thats what ive heard.

Edited by curtdakota

You can rip surrounds and spiders in the cold. And colder air does not make you louder, hot air carries more energy so it is the opposite actually. The hard part is having a hot car and cold equipment lol

Cold air can give you more SPL (on the meter), but not be as loud to the ear. I made a topic about this last winter. Warm up the subs before slamming them in cold weather, the spiders especially don't like sub-freezing temps.

Where are the test results because I have come to find the exact opposite as you and its scientific fact that warmer air will create a better medium of transfer and more energy. And Colin goes up 2+ dB in warmer climates. Maybe we are all wrong though..... SCIENCE

Cold air can give you more SPL (on the meter), but not be as loud to the ear. I made a topic about this last winter. Warm up the subs before slamming them in cold weather, the spiders especially don't like sub-freezing temps.

this. there is also the issue of condensation if you don't warm them slowly. you can get moisture buildup on the VC's. water damage is bad. Same goes for your HU. especially touch screens. if you have a remote start...USE IT. if not...GET ONE. 5-10 minutes before climbing into the car will make a world of difference

Principal

JTech Consulting - Leader in 12-Volt Training and Product PlanningIt's not about how much power you have, but how well you use it

just like if you were going for a run in the cold you have to warm up first. You cant step out the house and start sprinting. Im very gentle until the car warms up.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

i agree with nate, when i get comfortable inside the car with the heat going, then i slap da bass :)

Legal TL scores145.6 on the dash sealed up in the low 40hz area with the port out145.5 on the dash sealed up @30hz with the port inless then 1k clamped on a 3.5k!

Why would you EVER WANT flex?
huh?...flex is what can make the lows lower and more air being pushed correct?
jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

me_zps0fb5a5b4.jpgMy FeedbackJeep-BuildlogPT LOSER buildlog

What i know, is that there is a vid on SMD, where a competitor blows cold air with a aircondition in his car, to get louder.

Must be work, one of the question was, if it be legit.

my buddy did that in hist justy haha to keep the gas fumes out

as well as team riprock does that to keep the inside of there extreme vehicle at a certain temp

as for cold in subs many things

if its a cheap plastic coned sub they crack very easy in winter

if you bump and get your sub nice n toasty n go inside over night come out your sub could be frozen from the condensation freezing up so you could f with it there

just let your car warm up before beating on subs

as for deck cant help ya been wondering myself

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0