Second Skin Audio

Birch vs MDF

bre2ts

I'm not sure if they sound differently. I don't have the funds to build 2 boxes of the same specs out of each. But, MDF is alot easier to work with if you are gonna be doing extensive fiberglassing, routing, etc. But Birch doesn't waterlog, is a hell of alot stronger, and lighter. I've used both, and have different applications for each. The build I'm working on now, I'm using Birch for my false floor, and MDF for the box itself. I'd say birch for a standard box though...especially if they are the same price.

mivtCK.png

Mdf has that amazing smell too. :D nothing like the fresh scent of mdf in the morning before work.

04' Chevy Blazer

-Kenwood KIV-BT900, Infinity Kappa 462.9cfp's, Rockford P1653's, Subs... Ridin Stock-

Birch is a more dense and stronger wood yet lighter compared to mdf.

he wouldnt be the first to say they did a 167 with a system like that (one that clearly DOESNT), but i have to say, he didnt beat me anywhere, ive never competed against the guy. If he thinks his does a 167, mine would probably put him in a coma. :hairtrick:

My box is made out of birch it really strong good clean sound ...but birch is hi as shit

2003 Grand AM GTELECTRICAL SYSTEMAlternatorstockBatteryFront s3400back d3100Wireinglots of 0gaHEAD UNITpionner 7500xSPEAKERS(4)Prv 6mb200(2)prv 10mr1000AMPLIFIRLS(1)Zxi80.4(2)Brx1200.4SUBWOOFER(2) MTX 9500BOX3.41 cuft 63sq port 34hzLINKSYoutube.com/reggieb198895

MDF is 31 a sheet here, and birch is 34 a sheet.. out of prices like that, i would spend the extra 3 bucks for how strong it is

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

Thanks for the input guys back at work now so I can't respond as frequently as I would like here birch is $60 a sheet and mdf is ¥4,895 a sheet. I think I might just go with birch. I feel like everyone one is going to have their favorite to me the lighter stronger and water log issues sold me. Here on oki it rains ALOT.

you win some, you lose some

If you are going to double up on thickness for the whole box, you could try doing MDF on the inside and Birch on the outside. Then you should get a stronger box with a lower resonance... Maybe, anyway. :pardon:

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

Archived