EclipseChris Posted May 31, 2011 Report Posted May 31, 2011 I have heard that it resonates differently than MDF. It may be lighter and stronger but from the boxes i have heard made of birch i don't like how it sounds. i resolve to be a nicer moderator. Tercel build R.I.P. Eclipse build Old New V-Dub My feedback.
David Posted May 31, 2011 Report Posted May 31, 2011 I'm an mdf guy, I think its way easier to work with, it doesn't splinter when routering it. it does sound different to me as well
Bakerman Posted May 31, 2011 Report Posted May 31, 2011 I'm not sure if they sound differently. I don't have the funds to build 2 boxes of the same specs out of each. But, MDF is alot easier to work with if you are gonna be doing extensive fiberglassing, routing, etc. But Birch doesn't waterlog, is a hell of alot stronger, and lighter. I've used both, and have different applications for each. The build I'm working on now, I'm using Birch for my false floor, and MDF for the box itself. I'd say birch for a standard box though...especially if they are the same price.
jshark5 Posted May 31, 2011 Report Posted May 31, 2011 Mdf has that amazing smell too. nothing like the fresh scent of mdf in the morning before work. 04' Chevy Blazer -Kenwood KIV-BT900, Infinity Kappa 462.9cfp's, Rockford P1653's, Subs... Ridin Stock-
THEKINGsBACK Posted May 31, 2011 Report Posted May 31, 2011 Birch is a more dense and stronger wood yet lighter compared to mdf. he wouldnt be the first to say they did a 167 with a system like that (one that clearly DOESNT), but i have to say, he didnt beat me anywhere, ive never competed against the guy. If he thinks his does a 167, mine would probably put him in a coma. :hairtrick:
ReggieB Posted June 1, 2011 Report Posted June 1, 2011 My box is made out of birch it really strong good clean sound ...but birch is hi as shit 2003 Grand AM GTELECTRICAL SYSTEMAlternatorstockBatteryFront s3400back d3100Wireinglots of 0gaHEAD UNITpionner 7500xSPEAKERS(4)Prv 6mb200(2)prv 10mr1000AMPLIFIRLS(1)Zxi80.4(2)Brx1200.4SUBWOOFER(2) MTX 9500BOX3.41 cuft 63sq port 34hzLINKSYoutube.com/reggieb198895
Team_DC-Derrick Posted June 1, 2011 Report Posted June 1, 2011 MDF is 31 a sheet here, and birch is 34 a sheet.. out of prices like that, i would spend the extra 3 bucks for how strong it is The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube Team DC Audio where theres a will theres a wall....... I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones
bre2ts Posted June 1, 2011 Author Report Posted June 1, 2011 Thanks for the input guys back at work now so I can't respond as frequently as I would like here birch is $60 a sheet and mdf is ¥4,895 a sheet. I think I might just go with birch. I feel like everyone one is going to have their favorite to me the lighter stronger and water log issues sold me. Here on oki it rains ALOT. Feedback 1 | Feedback 2 you win some, you lose some
Autruche Posted June 1, 2011 Report Posted June 1, 2011 If you are going to double up on thickness for the whole box, you could try doing MDF on the inside and Birch on the outside. Then you should get a stronger box with a lower resonance... Maybe, anyway. Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!My Saab 9000 build1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spdPioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE AudioJust Say No To Rear SpeakersJust Say No To CCA WireReal Men Drive StickHit me up on Facebook, if you want
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.