Welding Cable?

i love welding cable for power wire !! its 100% copper and the thing i like alot for insite the engine bay or running under car is that welding cable jacket is super high temp when i solder my 1/0 cable lugs on the jacket does not burn melt or anything just get too hot to touch !!! and its also very flexible !

[quote name=^_^ Gem132' timestamp='1314099672' post='1658723]

here comes noob time, whats the best type of wire, ofc, cca, i dunno if theres anymore ? but what one performs the best ?

OFC is oxygen free copper

CCA is copper clad aluminum which is copper coated aluminum

OFC is much better as copper is more conductive than aluminum and oxygen free so it will not oxidize

when buying wire if they dont specify the type of wire look at the shipping weight the lighter it is the more aluminum it is true OFC is alot heavier than CCA

Copper is a better conductor than aluminum there use to be a conductivity chart on a post someone help anyways. I use welding and. Other wire in my system as long as its true 1/0 I also have 3/0 from my batterys to my dd m4s it just barely fits in the hole but I believe it does help haveing the most wire from batts to amp to carry amperage. For example who has seen a gain with tooled dual inputs?

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

So the welding cable will corrode? I'm confused now... Lol.

the welding cable will corrode but im pretty sure you will have done 4 rebuilds with 2 new cars by the time the welding cable corrodes enough to make a difference

I have ultra flex orange 1/0 from weldingsupply. All I had before was cca knu 1/0. I'll be using welding cable from now on. Cheaper and it's pure copper... And it actually fits in my 1/0 lugs easily and stays in a tight bundle when I remove the jacket unlike knu.

I think I'll be going with coppercableman/trystar this time so I CSM get the custom text on it. (for only a 50 dollar difference for a few hundred feet :-)

312tzpu.png

My 02 Accord Wall Build

2 Sundown Audio Nightshade V1 18s --- 1 SAZ 3500

Sundown Audio 100.4 --- 4 Sundown Audio Neo-Pro 8s

Sundown Audio 125.2 --- 2 Morel MD-12 Tweeters , 2 Selenium ST-200 Tweeters

DC Power 270xp --- 4 XS Power D1200s | 1 D5100R

I got 2/0 welding cable in my build. I barely got it to fit into the crescendo amps positive input but it made it. I have no problems with it and it is flexible enough for me. No problems here. Plus i like the black color, it blends in good under the hood. I would stay away from the aluminum wire. About the corrosion, i still have some wire that ive used in a few different installs from over 10 years ago and i dont see anything wrong with it.

99 GMC Suburban

2 Death Penalty 21"

2 Crescendo BC2000

Boston GT-42 Amp

6 Selenium 6w4p

4 Crescendo tweets

Hi output cs144 alt

Audiocontrol Epic-160

Pioneer DVD head unit

Copper in general will oxidize and corrode, but how long it takes depends on the elements, like humidity,oxygen content, which butt cheek you lean on to fart.... lawl chances are if you solider and heat shirnk your connections you won't have any problems out of the wire. But then again most people don't run a vehicle long enough to do so any way... I was just stating that most audio grade wire is oxygen free and tin coated to prevent this. In most cases you get what you pay for buy below par wire.... get below par results, good cable isn't cheap new

Kenwood KIV-BT900

Front Stage

RF 400-4 Runs off dedicated 4 awg ofc

RE 6.5 125.5.

Lanzar Max Pro 6.5

Boston S60 6.5 components

Rear

Soundstream BX-15

Boston S60 6.5 components

4x Sundown SA8 v1.5

Crescendo BC3500D

2.4 net 28hz

4 runs of 0 gauge

Big 3

HC2400

700ca up front

Singer 350 Amp Alt

No deadener :/

Scytek Galaxy Alarm

Can you get a pic of Q power 0 gauge next to those other ones?

Lol, that shit fits inside of 1 AWG (I mean 1, not 1/0) terminals with room to spare, trust me.

Copper is a better conductor than aluminum there use to be a conductivity chart on a post someone help anyways. I use welding and. Other wire in my system as long as its true 1/0 I also have 3/0 from my batterys to my dd m4s it just barely fits in the hole but I believe it does help haveing the most wire from batts to amp to carry amperage. For example who has seen a gain with tooled dual inputs?

I got you covered on the conductivity chart. :good:

electricalconductivity.jpg

Also, as a side note, why would you pay more for Knu's Kolossus fleks (tinned OFC) wire than you'd be paying for Trystar? Just doesn't make sense to me.

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

I went with 3/0 welding cable at 4.25 per foot. I also went with solder battery, and ring terminals. I am going to use welding cable for the amps i am going to run.

I say you cant go wrong with welding cable, it is more durable. If you install it right.

Archived